PDA

View Full Version : adding weight to your racquet

NCcanes
08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
exactly how do u add weight to your racquet with lead tape? i guess u just take the tape and put in somehwere on the inside of the frame. but how much weight do u add to feel a difference in performance?

and u know, itd be really cool if someone could show me some pics or your racquets weighted up, or a link is fine too

thanks

anirut
08-14-2006, 10:35 PM
OK, I'll put it this way.

Lead is used to add weight and will, for the most part, change the balance of your racket. (There are ways that you can add lead and remove/change 'something' from/on the racket that can maintain the weight/balance. I'm not going into this -- too complicated and too many options to list.)

Now, weight and balance is all personal preference. I'd suggest you go to the court with your lead and other tools. Add lead little by little and play-check if you like the weight & balance. Make adjustments as required.

Man! This is not rocket science!

BTW, even if I show you a picture of my weighted-up racket, you won't be able to see where I added the weights. It's all about 'neatness'.

tennistensai
08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
if u want a head light racket where do u put the tape? im guessing somewhere near the grip area ( if my guess is really stupid or something i dont know ne about lead tapes so bare in mind.)

AJK1
08-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Look at the TW Learning Centre and click on Modifying a Racquet.

NCcanes
08-14-2006, 10:43 PM
BTW, even if I show you a picture of my weighted-up racket, you won't be able to see where I added the weights. It's all about 'neatness'.

me too. i just dont know where i would put the tape so that u couldnt see it...

anirut
08-14-2006, 10:45 PM
if u want a head light racket where do u put the tape? im guessing somewhere near the grip area.

YES! And remember that adding too much weight can make it too heavy to play with. Adding weights in the wrong places can turn a very good racket into a crappy stick in a wink.

That's why I say, "Go to the court with your lead and other tools. Play-test your set up and change as required."

anirut
08-14-2006, 10:47 PM
me too. i just dont know where i would put the tape so that u couldnt see it...

OK, search for the word "Super Redondo" and you'll know how I modified my racket. I've also added lead under the grip. That's why it cannot be seen ...

NCcanes
08-14-2006, 11:06 PM
when u say under the grip, do u mean under the main grip, or u put it on the grip and added a couple overgrips?

anirut
08-14-2006, 11:14 PM
when u say under the grip, do u mean under the main grip, or u put it on the grip and added a couple overgrips?

IF I put it on the main grip, I would screw up the grip. Why would I want to do that? I removed the grip until I see the pallet (the plastic piece that's attached to the actual racket handle part) and I place the lead there.

Don't ask how I place it there. You can use tape, glue, screws, nails, welding, etc....

Now, if you're experimenting with lead in the court like I suggested, don't straight away hide lead like that. There are countless ways to try it without totally screwing things up. You have to come up with your own solutions in your particular circumstances.

Tell you what. If you can make paper planes, you can set up your racket. It's a no brainer.