PDA

View Full Version : Racquet for aggressive baseliner

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Hi -

I'm a 4.0 player who likes to stay on the baseline and hit with LOTS of topsin. I also hit a two handed backhand.

Currently I'm using a Ncode N5 OS, but would like something with more control and something to help me generate more spin. With the N5 I feel I'm just about keeping the ball in at the other baseline. It looks really good that I'm able to hit the baseline on most shots, but I'm not really in control and I feel like it's dumb luck. I also feel that the N5 is a little light.

I'm looking for some ideas for racquets to demo. Currently I'm thinking of:

Babolat PD Roddick Plus
Wilson Ncode 6.1 95

What do you guys think of my choices, and any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Paul

Jonnyf
08-15-2006, 02:36 AM
Good choice's id also consider (in no particular order)

Yonex (either RDS or RDX and that ANY of them)
Vantage (build it to your specs)
Head Prestige (although you may lose out on some spin)
Dunlop M-fil 200 or 300 (+ or standard)

Goose
08-15-2006, 02:49 AM
I think i'm a similar player to yourself. Dont quite understand your NTRP rankings though (I'm Aussie)
I've recently switched to the Fischer MSpeed 98's. Very nice reacquet. If you generate your own power you'll love this racquet, feels great in the hand, good depth and spin control and a very nice weight and balance.
Overall best racquet I've ever used (in my opinion).
The weight of the MSpeed should suit you better, 320g.

I wouldn't really go for the Babolat, especially the Roddick line. I've never gotten control from them in my life. Nothing but a hammer in my opinion.

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 03:54 AM
Good choice's id also consider (in no particular order)

Yonex (either RDS or RDX and that ANY of them)
Vantage (build it to your specs)
Head Prestige (although you may lose out on some spin)
Dunlop M-fil 200 or 300 (+ or standard)

Thanks Jonnyf. I was also interested in the Yonex and the M-fils as I've read great things...particulary about the RDX's capabilities on the spin front.

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 03:56 AM
I think i'm a similar player to yourself. Dont quite understand your NTRP rankings though (I'm Aussie)
I've recently switched to the Fischer MSpeed 98's. Very nice reacquet. If you generate your own power you'll love this racquet, feels great in the hand, good depth and spin control and a very nice weight and balance.
Overall best racquet I've ever used (in my opinion).
The weight of the MSpeed should suit you better, 320g.

I wouldn't really go for the Babolat, especially the Roddick line. I've never gotten control from them in my life. Nothing but a hammer in my opinion.

Thanks for the response Goose. I don't know anything about the Fischer, so it's time for me to do some research.

I have heard before about Babolat's being short n control, so it is a little worrying to me. I've also heard that they can be hard on the arm/elbow, have you found this also?

Thanks,
Paul

Jonnyf
08-15-2006, 03:57 AM
Well an RDX 300mp arrived t door about 20 mins ago so if you'd like another aggressive baseliner (with a big serve) can give you a sort of review but it'd take a week or 2

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 04:01 AM
Well an RDX 300mp arrived t door about 20 mins ago so if you'd like another aggressive baseliner (with a big serve) can give you a sort of review but it'd take a week or 2

Thanks, would love to see a review. Unfortunately, I'm an impatient chap so I might not be able to wait two weeks! :p

Jonnyf
08-15-2006, 04:08 AM
haha ok well ive got a tourny starting on Saturday and ill hit a few times and if i can feel confident enough to use it in a tourny on sat i can review it lol so give me 5 or 6 days

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 05:50 AM
haha ok well ive got a tourny starting on Saturday and ill hit a few times and if i can feel confident enough to use it in a tourny on sat i can review it lol so give me 5 or 6 days

Wow! Thanks Jonnyf!

juani
08-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Babolat and Yonex are well known as spinfriendly.
IMO (as a previous PD and current RDX500 owner) a Yonex is gonna let you hit flat (if you want to do it from time to time) with babolat forget about it.

vin
08-15-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm a 4.0 player who likes to stay on the baseline and hit with LOTS of topsin. I also hit a two handed backhand.

For the most part, I play the same way. Over the past few years, I've learned that I need a stiff racket with decent weight to get enough power to go along with the topspin, especially to help avoid the short spinny balls that this style can be prone to.

Right now I'm hitting with the Roddick PD Std length and it's working pretty well. I'm also planning on trying the Head LM Instinct Tour XL. I haven't tried the Roddick PD+, but it has a pretty high swingweight. I'd like to try it out of curiousity, but have a feeling it would be too much for me.

I've tried the Yonex RDS 001 and played the RDS 003 for about four months. They're both nice, but I think you may find yourself wishing for a heavier ball with either of these frames. Maybe also with the 6.1 95 since that is a fairly low powered frame.

Jonnyf
08-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Babolat and Yonex are well known as spinfriendly.
IMO (as a previous PD and current RDX500 owner) a Yonex is gonna let you hit flat (if you want to do it from time to time) with babolat forget about it.

Ok i play the same game (a couple of years ago i switched from SW to W but recently ive gone back to SW as ive realised that i can hit just as much topspin but its easier to hit flat)

Yeah after a wrist injury i went back to a pd+ ( i know, i know) and ive just got an RDX 300mp and it appears that i can hit alot flatter with the RDX

Jim_Courier's_Fluffy_Hair
08-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Try out the Head LM radical. Its an old racket, but if you've got the game it will be your mistress!! Their cheap as chips now to, especially second hand.

Jonnyf
08-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Try out the Head LM radical. Its an old racket, but if you've got the game it will be your mistress!! Their cheap as chips now to, especially second hand.

I personally HATED the lm radical midplus and oversize imho they were POS's although thats my opinion and lots of people love these

BiGGieStuFF
08-15-2006, 07:40 AM
I don't want to sound like I'm biased but Prince sharks are great baseline rackets.

Noveson
08-15-2006, 10:29 AM
The elbow problems have been reduced in the PD's with the cortex. I'd also like to say they are very spin friendly, and in that way have great control.

TjeuT
08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Tecnifibre fight 325 was great for the baseline , now with the new model tfght 320 it maybe will be better

Goose
08-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the response Goose. I don't know anything about the Fischer, so it's time for me to do some research.

I have heard before about Babolat's being short n control, so it is a little worrying to me. I've also heard that they can be hard on the arm/elbow, have you found this also?

Thanks,
Paul

I'm not sure about the Drive's in terms of the elbow, havnt had enough experience with them to know.
Never really had troubles with any racquets in terms of elbow pain.
I do get a bit of pain sometimes, but thats all due to playing lots of matches in close succession and framing serves.

Definately look into Fischers, in my opinion they are very well manufactured

Spindarella
08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
What grips do you use and what type of swing do you have? Long and loopy?

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 04:20 PM
What grips do you use and what type of swing do you have? Long and loopy?

I use a semi-western with Wilson Pro overgrip. I would say my swing is a moderate full one. In other words, it is long with full follow through, not slow, but not super fast either.

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

After some research prompted by the responses here my demo list is now:

Babalot PD Roddick Plus
Wilson Ncdoe 6.1 95
Yonex RDS001 MP

I'm a little nervous about the Babolat as there seems to be an undercurrent of people having arm issues. There's not been many comments on the Wilson, so I think I may stick with that one.

Anyone think I'm way off base?

Thanks again,
Paul

Noveson
08-15-2006, 04:50 PM
I think you are very close. The babolat is something I'm looking into also, and the arm problems don't worry me much as I've never had any. Both the babolat and yonex are obviously spin friendly, but I haven't heard about the n-six 1 so I don't know about that. Might want to try the o3 tour also:)

andfor
08-15-2006, 04:50 PM
anyone see this?

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/racquets/tecnifibre/tecnifibre.aspx?id=38126

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I think you are very close. The babolat is something I'm looking into also, and the arm problems don't worry me much as I've never had any. Both the babolat and yonex are obviously spin friendly, but I haven't heard about the n-six 1 so I don't know about that. Might want to try the o3 tour also:)

I found this about the Wilson:

"Players who like to use a lot of spin should have a good experience with this racquet's open string pattern."

from this article: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/WN6195/WN6195Review.html

However, I agree, there's a lot of talk about the spin potential on the Babolat amd Yonex, but there seems to be less about the Wilson.

mavsman149
08-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I'll chime in for goose. I just switched to the fischer m speed 98 too. AWESOME

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I'll chime in for goose. I just switched to the fischer m speed 98 too. AWESOME

Ok, Goose and mavsman - you're making it hard for me! :)

The trouble is (for me) is that there's less info on the Fischers. I'm not discounting them, just trying to garner more information.

Noveson
08-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I found this about the Wilson:

"Players who like to use a lot of spin should have a good experience with this racquet's open string pattern."

from this article: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/WN6195/WN6195Review.html

However, I agree, there's a lot of talk about the spin potential on the Babolat amd Yonex, but there seems to be less about the Wilson.

Wow the n61 got a better topspin rating than any of the babs including the aeropro and even the yonex. Wasn't expecting that.

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Wow the n61 got a better topspin rating than any of the babs including the aeropro and even the yonex. Wasn't expecting that.

Yeah, exactly my point. Sorta surprised me too, but makes me really want to try it out.

will1087
08-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Good advice by everyone, but just to add:

The Head Prestige line is exceptional (imo) for baseliners.

Given your self assessment of your swing, i'd gather that you don't generate as much top-spin as you think (although i don't know for sure).

If you are using spin as a strategy, then i would recommend the Aeropro Drive in addition with the Pure Drive.

However, if spin is somewhat of a by-product, you won't be sacrificing much with the closed pattern of the prestige.

I'd say that a good 80% of spin is purely technique so i hope that gives you a better idea of what you might like.

Anyways, happy hunting! If you have room, feel free to demo the i.prestige or prestige classic, they might fit the bill.

NYCEnglish
08-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Good advice by everyone, but just to add:

The Head Prestige line is exceptional (imo) for baseliners.

Given your self assessment of your swing, i'd gather that you don't generate as much top-spin as you think (although i don't know for sure).

If you are using spin as a strategy, then i would recommend the Aeropro Drive in addition with the Pure Drive.

However, if spin is somewhat of a by-product, you won't be sacrificing much with the closed pattern of the prestige.

I'd say that a good 80% of spin is purely technique so i hope that gives you a better idea of what you might like.

Anyways, happy hunting! If you have room, feel free to demo the i.prestige or prestige classic, they might fit the bill.

Thanks Will, that's good advice.

I don't think I generate less topspin than I think.. I know I don't generate as much topspin as I would like! :)

will1087
08-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks Will, that's good advice.

I don't think I generate less topspin than I think.. I know I don't generate as much topspin as I would like! :)

I know that feeling ;).

aRod36
08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
i think you might like the babolat apd its great from the baseline with plenty of spin avalible or an 03 tour or babolat pure drive roddick standard or pure control. but look in the apd great racket.

just my .2

NYCEnglish
08-16-2006, 08:55 AM
i think you might like the babolat apd its great from the baseline with plenty of spin avalible or an 03 tour or babolat pure drive roddick standard or pure control. but look in the apd great racket.

just my .2

Thanks aRod. I forgot about the APD, but it does look like it might be a good fit. I noticed you mentioned the Roddick Standard - any reason why not the Plus?

aRod36
08-16-2006, 09:40 AM
the swingweight on the plus is a little to much for me but i found the swingweight on the standard suited me better. the plus might suit you well though as long as you can handle the swingweight for 3 sets.

mshinde
08-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Ok, Goose and mavsman - you're making it hard for me! :)

The trouble is (for me) is that there's less info on the Fischers. I'm not discounting them, just trying to garner more information.

Let me try to make even more harder

Fischer M Speed Pro No 1 98'

1) Ground Strokes: Very good for ground strokes. Good spin generation. Few people say its low powered but I found it more powerful than RDS001. You just need to string it at low 50's. 54 lbs seems to be ideal for me. Other concern as per common perception is small sweetspot. I found that it has very good sweet spot only thing is its on little bit higher side in frame towards hoop. Just to make a point again: Fischer performs better in low tensions.

2) Backhand: I found that Fischer is little bit smaller than stated 27'. This seems to be one of the reason why it is so good for 1HBH. I have tried APD which is a nightmare for 1HBH. You can hit really good topspin backhands with mspeed.

3) Volleys: I am not very good at volleys but whenever I try I found it very stable. Most of people here find Mspeed to be a average racquet in this department.

4) Serves: Mspeed's sweetspot is little bit higher towards hoop. I think thats the reason why it is soo good in serving department. You can hit really good kick serves.

5) Comfort: Now comes the main reason why I chose this frame. Very comfortable with good feel.

6) Looks: In the end, its a very good looking racquet :)

Few more pointers: Fischer's grip shape is squarish so takes time to adjust, also it is little bit smaller than stated size.

Enjoy this sweet frame. :D

Goose
08-17-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm gonna make it even harder.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/FMSR/FMSRReview.html

At least give one a try, there isn't a huge amount of information out there, read the comments on the Tennis Warehouse page for the racquet. There are both good and bad comments there, a large majority are good.

ffrpg
08-17-2006, 08:30 AM
The Prince o3 Tour feels pretty good from the baseline.

fielders_80
08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
I second that, O3 Tour is a very good baseline stick. I hate the APD, it is just way too stiff for my liking.

NYCEnglish
08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Let me try to make even more harder

1) Ground Strokes: Very good for ground strokes. Good spin generation. Few people say its low powered but I found it more powerful than RDS001. You just need to string it at low 50's. 54 lbs seems to be ideal for me. Other concern as per common perception is small sweetspot. I found that it has very good sweet spot only thing is its on little bit higher side in frame towards hoop. Just to make a point again: Fischer performs better in low tensions.

2) Backhand: I found that Fischer is little bit smaller than stated 27'. This seems to be one of the reason why it is so good for 1HBH. I have tried APD which is a nightmare for 1HBH. You can hit really good topspin backhands with mspeed.

3) Volleys: I am not very good at volleys but whenever I try I found it very stable. Most of people here find Mspeed to be a average racquet in this department.

4) Serves: Mspeed's sweetspot is little bit higher towards hoop. I think thats the reason why it is soo good in serving department. You can hit really good kick serves.

5) Comfort: Now comes the main reason why I chose this frame. Very comfortable with good feel.

6) Looks: In the end, its a very good looking racquet :)

Few more pointers: Fischer's grip shape is squarish so takes time to adjust, also it is little bit smaller than stated size.

Enjoy this sweet frame. :D

Great write up mshinde!

I was reading thru a Yonex thread today and I saw your post. How would you compare the RDS001 to the Fischer?

NYCEnglish
08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm gonna make it even harder.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/FMSR/FMSRReview.html

At least give one a try, there isn't a huge amount of information out there, read the comments on the Tennis Warehouse page for the racquet. There are both good and bad comments there, a large majority are good.

Thanks Goose. I think you and mshinde have convinced me!

Polaris
08-17-2006, 07:40 PM
NYCEnglish: If you want to stay with an OS racquet, which is heavier than the N5, but gives more control, consider demoing a POG-OS. Some people on this board will tell you it is a gift from God. (They are right ;)). If I had a 2-handed backhand, my search for a racquet would have ended there. I demoed the POG-OS recently along with a few other racquets. If you are interested in reading about the test, click here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=113092).

NYCEnglish
08-18-2006, 12:37 PM
NYCEnglish: If you want to stay with an OS racquet, which is heavier than the N5, but gives more control, consider demoing a POG-OS. Some people on this board will tell you it is a gift from God. (They are right ;)). If I had a 2-handed backhand, my search for a racquet would have ended there. I demoed the POG-OPS recently along with a few other racquets. If you are interested in reading about the test, click here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=113092).

Great review!

I've decided to move away from the OS racquets. I feel they're much too powerful for me. My N5 is head heavy, and I feel that a head heavy OS is not good for my arm or control...

Tennis_Nickmo
08-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Try the Volkl DNX 10 in 295ms or 325gms- has excellent feel and control

luis333
08-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks aRod. I forgot about the APD, but it does look like it might be a good fit. I noticed you mentioned the Roddick Standard - any reason why not the Plus?

I think the plus should be good for two handed backhands...

mshinde
08-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Great write up mshinde!

I was reading thru a Yonex thread today and I saw your post. How would you compare the RDS001 to the Fischer?

RDS001 Mid is also a very good racquet. Sweetspot is very generous, I can generate more spin with RDS001 than MSpeed in forhand. Serves are comparable, I can hit better kick serves with MSpeed and flat with RDS001.

I am not able weild RDS001 in my backhand.. sigh.. May be I need to work on form for 1HBH.

RDS001 is slightly less powerful than MSpeed.

Try demoing both, I find both as good racquet. I am thinking of buying a vantage 221110 as well... lets see..

NYCEnglish
08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded, you guys gave me a lot of great advice and a lot to think about.

For anyone who is interested, I have now got my demo list:

Babalot PD Roddick Plus
Wilson Ncdoe 6.1 95
Yonex RDS001 MP

I actually have the opportunity to demo the Wilson this week, and the others probably later this month.

Thanks again.