PDA

View Full Version : ProKennex : what if my elbow is fine ?

Grandcase
08-15-2006, 04:21 AM
I have read that ProKennexes Ki 5, 5 G and the heritage series (among others) are very good player's racquet but every review also says "arm friendly", "great choice if you do have arm problems", "the answer to tennis elbow" ...

The ProKennexes appeal to me because they are flexy, control oriented, with a rather large head size and an open string pattern + the weight/balance is right for me.
But I also don't want a racquet that's like too soft, especially since my arm doesn't bother me at all. I want a racquet that's confortable but one that can also play aggressively (right now, I am playing with Prestige Tour 660).

In other words, I don't need to get the most arm friendly racquet in the world, I just want a good player's racquet with those specs.

Are ProKennexes the answer or are they really more on the softy side ?

anirut
08-15-2006, 05:18 AM
I don't know if they're on the 'softy side' as you described. I too don't have arm problems.

Looking at the stiffness of many of PK rackets, they're kinda the 'middle-stiff' type and yet they are considered arm-friendly. I don't know if you actually mean 'feel-less' by saying 'too soft'.

I'm an aggressive player too and, as you can see from my avartar, I use the Redondo and it certainly is not 'feel-less'. I also have the PC600 but I prefer the Redondo.

My 0.02...

PBODY99
08-15-2006, 05:58 AM
The RDC values of a PT 600 and the Pro Kennex's are not that farr apart as both are in the low 60's. Give it a try.

juani
08-15-2006, 06:07 AM
I play with a PK5g and i don't have problems with my elbow (i just got soreness when a played with a PD before).
I like the racquect cos it has no weaknesses...........it plays good in every aspect of the game (it isn't brilliant but is not no gonna let you down).
I found it good for flat shots and also spin generation is relatively easy (16x20). It's perfect for my slice shots and slice serves (i tend to cut the ball too much with more spinfriendly frames like PD). Serves are OK.
Muted fell and softness are awesome but these doesn't mean a lack of touch at all. You just have to get used to. Tension range is huge: 52-68 so i think with a high tension and no dampener (you don'y really need one if you don't want a full muted feel) you are not gonna find it softy.

The flexibility is 65 (medium flex) but the thing is the upper hoop is flexible (maybe a bit too much for my taste). This is sometimes a problem for my volleys.

Some post in this forum say KI5 has a crisper feel and is more rigid in the upper hoop.

I hope this help you.
Cheers

Grandcase
08-15-2006, 06:36 AM
I'm an aggressive player too and, as you can see from my avartar, I use the Redondo and it certainly is not 'feel-less'. I also have the PC600 but I prefer the Redondo.
Yeah, I know the Redondo is close to the PC 600 but these 2 racquets are way beyond my technical abilities :) so I was not really considering the Redondo, even in the 98' Head size.

I play with a PK5g and i don't have problems with my elbow (i just got soreness when a played with a PD before).

I like the racquect cos it has no weaknesses...........it plays good in every aspect of the game
I hope this help you.
Yes, it does help me :) Thank you

[Off topic]
Funny though, The PD is the only racquet that messed up both my elbow and my wrist when I used it for a short time. Took me almost a year to get everything back into shape. Since then, I have used an old Donnay Pro One Limited Edition and several Head frames (Radical OS, Prestige 660 ...) with no problem.
[/Off topic]

Offshore
08-15-2006, 07:06 AM
I have hit with many PK frames and even though I do not have arm problems I consider their frames some of the best on the market. I really liked the Kinetic 5g and especially the 7g! As another poster mentioned, they just do not have any weaknesses. That they are good on the arm is a bonus - similar to Volkl. I am currently at about the 5.0 level and cannot think of a better stick for my game than the 7g. With the right string setup I think that you would definitely find a good fit with a PK frame. Good luck.

rasajadad
08-15-2006, 07:51 AM
AND PK frames are at least $40-100 per frame less than their competitors as they do not need to underwrite endorsement contracts!

basil J
08-15-2006, 07:58 AM
PK redondo 98" is a very comfortable, easy frame that I would imagine could satisfy a large range of players.

Grandcase
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks everybody
Those were the answers I was hoping for :)

Slaz
08-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Even if I can't answer your question Grandcase, I'm glad to see you here :)

I didn't know you were involved in this forum too. Nice surprise :)

LuckyR
08-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Personally, I would disagree. I found the 5G and the Ionic 5 to be a bit "dead" feeling. Which I didn't have a problem with since I was using them for Tennis Elbow problems. Later, when arm problems were a distant memory, they didn't have nearly the feedback I liked for my placement/spin oriented game. Power level (low) was just fine and the control was OK, even good but the "feel" for that control was where they were lacking. Hence: Volkl for me now...

NoBadMojo
08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
I have read that ProKennexes Ki 5, 5 G and the heritage series (among others) are very good player's racquet but every review also says "arm friendly", "great choice if you do have arm problems", "the answer to tennis elbow" ...

The ProKennexes appeal to me because they are flexy, control oriented, with a rather large head size and an open string pattern + the weight/balance is right for me.
But I also don't want a racquet that's like too soft, especially since my arm doesn't bother me at all. I want a racquet that's confortable but one that can also play aggressively (right now, I am playing with Prestige Tour 660).

In other words, I don't need to get the most arm friendly racquet in the world, I just want a good player's racquet with those specs.

Are ProKennexes the answer or are they really more on the softy side ?

Many of the PK frames dont feel soft, especially the Ki series ones..the Ki5 frame you mentioned would be a great one to demo I think as a 5.0 hitter. Check out the stiffness measurements..those are pretty revealing

Kaptain Karl
08-15-2006, 02:53 PM
A PK Rep told me they were going to discontinue the Ki 5. It "just isn't making it" was the assessment.

I've recently demoed the 7G ... in fact, I'm waiting for my two new 7Gs to arrive. (UPS Tracking says ... tomorrow!) So, obviously, I like the (solid, hefty) feel of the 7G. I did not like the Ki 5; too dead in the top of the string bed.

Back to your OP question, "Nothing." If your elbow (and shoulder) are "just fine" you may still like the feel of some of the PKs.

(If you care to read my demo saga, click here. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=106841) (I don't have arm problems. That wasn't what motivated me to try PK.)

- KK

Grandcase
08-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Many of the PK frames dont feel soft, especially the Ki series ones..the Ki5 frame you mentioned would be a great one to demo I think as a 5.0 hitter. Check out the stiffness measurements..those are pretty revealing
Yeah, I read your test too and the information I found were very interesting.
I think the Ki 5 would be my first choice. Just one small thing that bothers me : you said "This racquet (the Ki 5) might be a good choice for the PureDrive players" and I don't like the way the Pure Drive plays. I mean it's easy and everything but you can spray balls around very easily with this frame.
So I wonder, maybe the 5 G (which is not on steroids) might even be better for me, I don't know.

Grandcase
08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Even if I can't answer your question Grandcase, I'm glad to see you here :)

I didn't know you were involved in this forum too. Nice surprise
Hey :p cool to see you're here too :)

govols
08-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Personally, I would disagree. I found the 5G and the Ionic 5 to be a bit "dead" feeling. Which I didn't have a problem with since I was using them for Tennis Elbow problems. Later, when arm problems were a distant memory, they didn't have nearly the feedback I liked for my placement/spin oriented game. Power level (low) was just fine and the control was OK, even good but the "feel" for that control was where they were lacking. Hence: Volkl for me now...

Which model Volkl do you have? I have the Cat V1 mp and os. I can't find one that I like better at the moment and I've tried. The PK 5G is on my list of racquets to try though.

NoBadMojo
08-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I read your test too and the information I found were very interesting.
I think the Ki 5 would be my first choice. Just one small thing that bothers me : you said "This racquet (the Ki 5) might be a good choice for the PureDrive players" and I don't like the way the Pure Drive plays. I mean it's easy and everything but you can spray balls around very easily with this frame.
So I wonder, maybe the 5 G (which is not on steroids) might even be better for me, I don't know.

i did that playtest many miles ago...i remember having a good experience with this frame and that it didnt feel flexy to me and i felt the specs are what you seek. it had nice juice to it and spin but was controllable..just an all around nice playing frame you'll just have to try them and see what you like...the specs are pretty revealing. i remember the swingweight got to me around the end of my session..i think it's around 325-327...it's a solid heftier frame with a good sized sweetspot..good at everyting

Steve Huff
08-15-2006, 08:49 PM
The ki 5g is nothing like a Pure Drive. The Laver Type S would be PK's racket that is closest to a PD. Like juani said, the ki 5 (derivatives of the original 5g) is just a good, overall racket. I've had rackets that serve better, racket with more power, rackets with more control, rackets that volley better, and rackets that get more spin. But, those rackets had weaknesses too. The 5g just seems to be above average in all those categories. Plus, it is easy on your arm. This might not be a factor now, but in the long run, you might have wished you'd used it sooner.

Grandcase
08-15-2006, 11:04 PM
it didnt feel flexy to me and i felt the specs are what you seek.
it's a solid heftier frame with a good sized sweetspot..good at everyting
the ki 5 (derivatives of the original 5g) is just a good, overall racket.
The 5g just seems to be above average in all those categories

Great ! Thanks guys :D

routlirh
12-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Is there any significant difference between the two? The TW specs would indicate a little more power from the older 5g?
THX

haerdalis
12-14-2006, 12:41 PM
I have ki5 pse, pro 5g, pro 7g, ki 15 pse and redondo mid. They are all very nice racquets. The ki 15 pse is a little on the stiff side and too powerful for me, but good fun to play with. The 5g and 7g are both very comfy and also very good. I prefer the 7g of the two. The ki 5 pse is an excellent racquet but unfortuantely I am not strong enough to serve well with it for an entire match. For just hitting though it is awesome and I have never hit better slices than with that racquet.
The redondos are very sweet and flexy but quite low powered. I had the MP too before but sold it. The mid felt like a sweeter racquet but obviously quite demanding.

ollinger
12-15-2006, 07:53 AM
One would expect PK "Kinetic" to play stiffer than RDC ratings since the kinetic system supposedly reduces deflection of the racquet head on impact, whereas the stiffness ratings are done more or less statically (no impact) on a Babolat machine. As for using the racquet if one has no arm problems, well...I take an aspirin a day but I've never had a stroke. My goal is to PREVENT one.