PDA

View Full Version : Please, someone, talk me off this ledge

penpal
08-15-2006, 08:16 AM
I've recently cracked the frame on my ProKennex Laver Heritage SX and was getting ready to buy a new racquet when the thought hit me ... 'I wonder if there is any good reason why I shouldn't just buy a new recreational racquet every 3-6 months instead of buying a "better" racquet and having it restrung every 3-6 months."

Checking the specs on a few recreational racquets was an interesting exercise -- and I'll tell you, finding the specs wasn't easy :p

Looks to be a fairly wide variety in terms of weight, found some as light as 9.9 oz (Wilson Federer Signature, $19.99) and as heavy as 11.4 oz (Wilson Sampras, $19.99), but they all seem to be oversize, 110 inch. Admittedly, I haven't done a thorough search -- only checked about five racquets, all Wilsons -- so there might be other head sizes out there. Also, not all of the ones I could find specs on listed balance, but the ones that did were various degrees to the head light side.

So, back to my question -- Is there really any good reason a 3.5 player shouldn't just buy a new $20 racquet every so often, as opposed to spending $100+ for a "good" racquet and then $25+ for restringing each time it needs it?

armand
08-15-2006, 08:33 AM
For those prices, I'd rather go down to Play It Again Sports and pick something up. You could even stumble upon some gems.

AndrewD
08-15-2006, 09:26 AM
I'd say it's worth you spending $20 just to satisfy your own curiousity. In my opinion, based on the ultra cheap racquets I've hit with, there is a less than pleasant feel - in comparison to more expensive racquets- about almost all of them. Also, the strings they come with tend to be pretty ordinary (meaning, they're not as nice as cheap but decent Prince synth gut).

Regardless, I guess it all depends on what you want from your game. If you're keen to improve then I'd say get something a bit better (that doesn't mean expensive, - discontinued frames are a good option). If you're just playing tennis for a bit of fun and exercise then it really doesn't matter what you use.

300Gkid
08-15-2006, 10:11 AM
well you could buy your own stringer, there fairly cheap and within a year or 2 it will have paid for itself. I myself found rec racquets lacking feel and control, they were all very powerful. I'd suggest getting a decent racquet under 100 dollars (M-fil series, LM series ect) and a stringer

Tim Set Match
08-15-2006, 10:55 AM
That would be an interesting experiment to do. But why even replace a recreational racquet every 3 months... why not just keep it and use it!

It think it all comes down to how good the racquet feels, how much you enjoy playing with it, and how effectively you play with it. If I find all this in a recreational racquet, then I would definitely use one instead. :D

Kaptain Karl
08-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm hoping you *do* give it a try. Be sure and let us know what you learned.

(Some things are best learned by experience.)

- KK

Steve Huff
08-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Penpal, I have an SX I'd sell you at a very good price. stmt@comcast.net

neo
08-15-2006, 11:15 PM
You can buy new Head Liquidmetal Radical for $70, strung for free with some decent synthetic gut, surely it will be much better then frames you mentioned.

newnuse
08-16-2006, 01:09 AM
Are you guys trying to push him over the ledge?? lol

I think it is a very bad idea to switch rackets every few months. First off, those cheap rackets are cheap for a reason. Your experience hitting with them will not feel nearly as pleasant. They also come with crap string jobs. I'm assuming those cheap rackets you want to try will come with strings.

Your game will suffer playing with those rackets. Buy yourself a decent and racket and string exactly how you like. You hitting experience will be far superior.