PDA

View Full Version : How does a Racquet make a difference in generating spin?

andysc
08-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Wouldn't the string gauge and type be the critical factor? I don't understand how different racquets can have such difference in generating spin potential.

juani
08-15-2006, 07:51 AM
me neither (when we'r talking about the same string pattern)

LowProfile
08-15-2006, 07:52 AM
String gauge really has little to do with it. A thinner string is lighter and provides the ability to generate more racquet head speed, resulting in more spin.

A lighter racquet can be whipped up and through the ball faster, resulting in more spin. A more thin beamed (and therefore flexible) racquet provides for longer dwell time, resulting in more spin.

Jonnyf
08-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Stringpattern and stiffness i believe are two important fators

Kevo
08-15-2006, 09:29 AM
The openness of the pattern, the weight and balance, and stiffness can all factor in. I think weight/balance are probably the biggest factor, followed closely by string pattern.

Supernatural_Serve
08-15-2006, 09:41 AM
I can hit more top spin with a Head Liquidmetal Radical Oversize versus the mid-plus with the same strings strung the same day, even though I prefer the mid-plus.

I have no idea why. Bigger sweet spot??

Noveson
08-15-2006, 09:44 AM
LowProfile you said a frame being flexible helps generate spin. Which seems logical because of the dwell time. Then why do the Pds and aeropros generate so much spin. Both are pretty stiff for players frames.

Ripper
08-15-2006, 10:01 AM
LowProfile you said a frame being flexible helps generate spin. Which seems logical because of the dwell time. Then why do the Pds and aeropros generate so much spin. Both are pretty stiff for players frames.

There's different ways to skin a cat... Babolats just seem to crush the ball against the strings; that's how they get their dwell time, lol!

Noveson
08-15-2006, 10:22 AM
There's different ways to skin a cat... Babolats just seem to crush the ball against the strings; that's how they get their dwell time, lol!

Haha that's a very good way to say it Ripper.

LowProfile
08-15-2006, 10:26 AM

Babolats, especially the two that you mention, have tapered beams. That is, the beam width is thicker in the head than it is in the throat. This lends the racquet a very whippy feel. They also have open string patterns. This whippiness allows high racquet head speed to be generating driving up the ball, but not so much driving through it. These two factors combine to give the Pure Drives and AeroPro Drives good spin potential.

They'll still kill your arm though.

Noveson
08-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Eh I'm young I can live with the arm part. Partly because I haven't noticed it very much.

Tim Set Match
08-15-2006, 10:39 AM
The throat of the AeroPro Drive is aerodinamically shaped to increase sideways (spinny) movement..!

LowProfile
08-15-2006, 04:08 PM
The throat of the AeroPro Drive is aerodinamically shaped to increase sideways (spinny) movement..!

Or it least, it supposedly is.