PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Houston, TX

babar
07-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Howdy all,

I will be relocating to Houston, TX soon. I wanted to know about the tennis scene in Houston. Any info on good clubs, overall level of play, league involvment, etc. I am a 4.0 who has been playing USTA leagues in Northern Virginia for the past few years. Thanks for any input.

Also, if anyone wants a hitting partner in Houston, let me know. Thanks.

Goalier95
08-05-2004, 09:18 AM
here's a good place to start if you haven't done so already:
http://www.houstontennis.org/

Just to let you know, the weather here is very hot and humid during out 9 months of summer. :) My opinion is the Westside Tennis Club has to be the club to join because it offers the red clay of Paris, Wimbledon's grass and of course the hard courts. This is where the year ending Master's Cup will be held in November. Good luck!

babar
08-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks Goalier95! I used to live in H-town in my youth. I remember the weather well. I guess I will have to learn to like indoor tennis a lot more than I do. Thanks again.

matchpoints
09-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Goalier95,

How's that place Houstonian?

BiGGieStuFF
09-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Has anyone on TT ever gotten together and played before, or do you guys usually stick to your usual tennis cliques?

fishuuuuu
09-19-2005, 12:51 PM
I guess most people just stick to their own tennis groups but I read somewhere that another kid like me went to go play Bungalo Bill and go his butt handed to him.

I've met with a (stranger) member of these boards before.

BiGGieStuFF
09-19-2005, 12:54 PM
I guess most people just stick to their own tennis groups but I read somewhere that another kid like me went to go play Bungalo Bill and go his butt handed to him.

I've met with a (stranger) member of these boards before.I'm sure that's what holds most people back about playing someone they haven't met before. NOt sure if they would be wasting your time or you'd be wasting their time.

I'm thinking about joining a league here in Houston, but anyone got any suggestions to a friendly league here? Tennis is the priority but meeting good people is a plus as well.

jakul
10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Hello BiGGieStuFF. I'm located in Richmond but if you're looking for somebody to hit please PM me. I'm always looking for people to knock the ball around with a bit.:)

GRANITECHIEF
10-15-2007, 03:24 PM
If anyone in Houston wants a game with a 6.0, let me know and i can hook you up. A buddy of mine is there on business there this week. He is super nice and will smile while he crushes you. !!!

Isn't SydneyJim located somewhere near there? I bet they would have fun.

atatu
10-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I noticed a guy named "Jim Sydney" in the qualifying draw of the futures event in Mansfield...could it be ?

GRANITECHIEF
10-18-2007, 11:26 AM
It most certainly is. Actually, if you look again, you'll notice that its Jim, Sydney and that all the players are listed with surname first.

Sydney was on these boards a while back but hasn't been posting lately. Maybe because he's been traveling a bit. Looks like a fun trip, lots of interesting locations, except for the win loss ratio isn't stellar:

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/activity.asp?player=30023321

Bye the way Atatu, are you familiar with the Helotes area. I picked up a 4 acre parcel there in the hills north of Helotes toward Grey Wolf and i haven't even seen it. How is the area?

atatu
10-18-2007, 11:47 AM
The Helotes area is very nice. The had a bit of a problem there this past year as the result of a mulch fire, and because I work for the State of Texas Environmental agency, I heard a lot about it. You can google "Helotes Mulch Fire" and learn all about it. Anway, don't let that discourge you, the area is very nice.

Muffin Man
10-18-2007, 04:45 PM
i'm traveling down to houston for a few weeks in december. we'll be there for the holidays at my in-law's house. i would love to find a couple of people to hit with while i'm down there. i'm a solid 4.5 player in the northeast. i'd be looking to hit with anyone 4.0 and higher. i've played at the houstonian in the past but will have a car...as it is a requirement in houston so i can get just about anywhere.

LafayetteHitter
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I typically stay at the Houstonian when I visit Houston. I really like the fitness facility and the courts are pretty nice.

TenS_Ace
10-21-2007, 09:07 PM
The Houstonian is OUTSTANDING!!

Muffin Man
10-23-2007, 05:26 AM
i know the houstonian is great. i will be able to play there without guest fees since i can usually get a guest pass from my mother-in-law. are there any houstonian members, 4.0-5.0 who would like to hit in december?

anybody know of any other places to find a good match that time of year?

NC Texan
10-24-2007, 07:14 AM
I'm moving to Houston in January. We were thinking of joining Houston Racquet Club. My wife doesn't really play so we wanted to join some place that had good pool, gym, dining, etc. Does anyone know the level of tennis there? I am a 5.0 player in my late 20s and am interested in serious tennis. I hear there is a good tourney and league scene in Houston but I also want to make sure there are a lot of good players at the club. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, it looks like Memorial Park has a lot of tennis activity. Is this a good place to find a match? Thanks

Leelord337
10-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Howdy all,

I will be relocating to Houston, TX soon. I wanted to know about the tennis scene in Houston. Any info on good clubs, overall level of play, league involvment, etc. I am a 4.0 who has been playing USTA leagues in Northern Virginia for the past few years. Thanks for any input.

Also, if anyone wants a hitting partner in Houston, let me know. Thanks.

Hi. I'm a Houstonian. I play at san jacinto college North campus Mon- Thurs and Sun from 5pm-8pm, there is some pretty good competition out there. drop on by if you want to pick up a good singles or doubles match, 8 lighted hardcourts surrounded by trees, nice and quiet and lit up well at night, and best of all its free...but no hobos around because its a college.

If you're looking to join a tennis club, in downtown there's the houston MET, metropolitan racquet club, and near the university of houston central campus is Macgregor Park but some 5.0+ close to pro players are there and really have game and u can hook up with a singles match or dubs, and it's only 4$ an hour. Memorial Park is really the hub of the tennis scene though. Lots of great players from all around show up there. i think its $6 an hour there.

Also try Strawberry park tennis center. They have fun tournaments about twice a month for singles and doubles.

NC Texan
10-31-2007, 12:35 PM
I have recently been told that Westside Tennis & Fitness, despite its transition to more of a "family fitness" club, is still the place to join for serious tennis players. Does anyone have any information about it since they did the renovations? I now there are a lot of parks with good players too, but we wanted to join a club and were told this was the one to join. Thanks for any information.

Lindsay
10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
My husband works at westside... its the nicest club i've ever seen. they are putting in 2 lagoon pools, they just put in an arcade, batting cages, indoor golf range. They have a formal dining and restaurant. Still have 30+ courts. You can still hit in the stadium on the WTT court. Its crazy nice, all I can say.

Muffin Man
10-31-2007, 04:29 PM
lindsay....is westside open to the public? like i said in an earlier post i'll be in houston for 3 weeks in december at my in-laws house and i would love to get some hitting in. i have hit at the houstonian before but would go just about anywhere within a reasonable distance from memorial to hit with 4.5 or higher players while i'm there.

Lindsay
11-01-2007, 03:45 AM
I don't think it is. However, you are allowed to hit there with members, which are a dime a dozen(over 6000 to date) so finding one shouldn't be hard.

NC Texan
11-01-2007, 04:52 AM
Did you say 6000 members?? I know the place is really big, but is it over-crowded now with that many people? My main concern would be the tennis court availability and my wife's would be the fitness classes. Is it hard to get space in those now? Thanks

Lindsay
11-01-2007, 05:41 AM
6000 members, but not 6000 tennis members. they've added 3000 fitness members in the last year. Court availability is NEVER a problem... 30+ courts, hydro, hartru, rebound ace, indoor/outdoor, stadium- you have lots of options.

i should work for this place the way i talk about it.

NC Texan
11-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Thanks for all the information Lindsay. How about the fitness center and classes? Are they getting over-crowded? That will be my wife's main concern as she doesn't play tennis. Also, do they still have the red clay courts? Thanks again for all your input.

Lindsay
11-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Tons of classes, never too crowded. They have several state of the art studios for classes. Fitness, yoga, they have pilates studios(some private) and 2 gyms(1 is a typical gym, the other a wellness center).

They took out the red clay courts. They have hydro court and hartru. The hydros are very nice!

Hope you enjoy your trip. You will find an extremely large tennis shop where I work right down the street from Westside. I would say the name but it would be edited.

jakul
11-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Lindsay, do you work at TE?

Lindsay
11-02-2007, 04:48 AM
yes, i string there.

CWINE979
11-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Are there any 4.5-5.0 players near Sugar Land that would like to hit around on the weekends? I recently started playing tennis about 5 months ago and I need to find a hitting partner.

CWINE979
11-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Mistake. I recently started playing tennis again about 5 months ago and need some good hitting partners.*

Leelord337
11-05-2007, 11:47 PM
anybody in houston looking for a free tennis match w/some good players 4.0+ there is an unofficial tennis club at san jacinto college north campus that plays Monday through thursday and on sundays from 5pm-8pm. Doubles and singles, tell them lee sent u

IsmokeTooMuch
11-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I can hit with you in Pearland, its about a 20min drive from Sugarland. Dont exactly know my rating, but I think I can keep up with you. Email at seniormonk@yahoo.com

slice-o-maniac
11-07-2007, 06:12 PM
hello all i'm from houston too! :D hahaha i live in the northwest side of houston so if anyone is interested in hitting with a 3.5-4.0 let me know

jakul
11-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Are there any 4.5-5.0 players near Sugar Land that would like to hit around on the weekends? I recently started playing tennis about 5 months ago and I need to find a hitting partner.

Hello. Email me at: ten_inch_radius@yahoo.com I live in Richmond and I'm always looking for good folks to hit with. Thank you.

Muffin Man
11-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Hello. Email me at: ten_inch_radius@yahoo.com I live in Richmond and I'm always looking for good folks to hit with. Thank you.

lucky you....the swinging door!!! best bbq around.

jakul
11-08-2007, 07:19 PM
lucky you....the swinging door!!! best bbq around.

Yes sir! Haven't been there in awhile since I'm trying to lose a few pounds and that place never helps. LOL!

Leelord337
11-09-2007, 10:38 PM
so if anybody wants to play at san jacinto college north send me an email. bmxluv@aol.com

NLBwell
11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
The Clear Lake area used to have a lot of tennis when I lived there - Bay Area Racket Club, Freindswood Racket Club, another right by the water whose name I forget, and Uof H Clear Lake.

Leelord337
11-12-2007, 05:35 PM
at san jacinto college north there is a mix of good women players men players, teenagers etc... gotta be a 3.5 or above to fit in though. anybody wanna play during the week mon-thurs from 4:30-8pm shoot me an email, i only go there on sunday nights though, occasionally during the week. bmxluv@aol.com

Leelord337
11-24-2007, 12:56 PM
anybody near the east side of houston looking for a singles or doubles match send me an email @ bmxluv@aol.com

BiGGieStuFF
11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
hello all i'm from houston too! :D hahaha i live in the northwest side of houston so if anyone is interested in hitting with a 3.5-4.0 let me know

With a name like SLICE-o-maniac I'm not sure how many takers you'll get hehehe :razz:

KerryJ
11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
I live in clear lake, here's all the places I've played at (localy and in houston).

Memorial Park (Houston)
Westside (Houston)
Lee LeClear Tennis Center (Houston)
Jewish Community Center (Houston)
Bay Area Racquet Club (Clear Lake)
Windemere (Clear Lake)
South Shore Harbour Fitness Center (Just outside of Clear Lake)

All very nice, my favorites being the Jewish Community Center and South Shore.

Leelord337
12-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I live in clear lake, here's all the places I've played at (localy and in houston).

Memorial Park (Houston)
Westside (Houston)
Lee LeClear Tennis Center (Houston)
Jewish Community Center (Houston)
Bay Area Racquet Club (Clear Lake)
Windemere (Clear Lake)
South Shore Harbour Fitness Center (Just outside of Clear Lake)

All very nice, my favorites being the Jewish Community Center and South Shore.

I didn't like lee leclear tennis center, courts are hard courts but they are Dirty and not well kept, I worked for memorial park tennis center though as a summer tennnis coach....I would say some of the best courts in houston have to be Rice Universities courts. They are AMAZING. Plus you can park in the neighborhood 1 block away from rice for free and walk to the courts. The stadium court is awesome, plus the lights are great too

Leelord337
12-14-2007, 02:05 AM
so if anybody wants to play at san jacinto college north send me an email. bmxluv@aol.com

jmiller
01-02-2008, 05:57 PM
i live in missouri city (atleast in the summers now, i go to college in huntsville) but i've hit at westside and it is truely amazing. but i worked over the summer at memorial park and their courts and facilities are nice and usually well kept. so if anybody is up for hitting send me a message

Roger#1
01-06-2008, 08:24 AM
jmiller, if you are staying in missouri city now I can hit with you. I live in sugarland, so if anybody else lives near me and is around 4.5 or higher, I can hit all the time.

jmiller
01-07-2008, 09:18 AM
thanks for the offer roger and maybe someother time when i'm in town i will send you a message and we can hit. however i am not in missouri city now.

slice-o-maniac
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
With a name like SLICE-o-maniac I'm not sure how many takers you'll get hehehe :razz:

man...this name was way back in the day! i'm an all around player but mostly spends it on the baseline! :P hehe

how about we take it to the court and you can decide haha

DizBoiDanny
09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
anyone know any free tourments here in houston? i don't like paying 35 bucks for one.

jmverdugo
09-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi guys, I will be in Houston from Oct 4th to 13th, Anyone care for a hitting?

DizboiDanny, I answer your question in the thread i created, i think I will be staying close to place you mention there.

Leelord337
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
anyone know any free tourments here in houston? i don't like paying 35 bucks for one.

there are fun tournaments at strawberry park tennis center in pasadena tx. the phone # is: 713-941-8631

it costs $3 to play and $3 per person in doubles. call them to make sure when the touraments are held usually 2 times a month

KerryJ
09-17-2008, 07:59 PM
there are fun tournaments at strawberry park tennis center in pasadena tx. the phone # is: 713-941-8631

it costs $3 to play and $3 per person in doubles. call them to make sure when the touraments are held usually 2 times a month

Really? Never knew. How's the competition? Is it a junior thing, or adults? If it's juniors I know Pasadena tennis isn't something you would call 'outstanding'.

Leelord337
09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
^^^they're mainly from 3.0-4.0 but occasionally this guy josh plays the tournaments and is a 5.0

winner gets a free racquet stringing too + braggin rights and posted on the wall. its usually on sundays the first and 2nd week of every month from 11am-3pm etc...not sure of exact time, might wanna callem to make sure

KerryJ
09-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Just a junior here. Maybe could take out a 3.0, but I've seen some 4.0's, they play just like 16 supers. Bigger shots and shorter fuses. I might be able to swipe 3 games per set. (If I'm lucky)

Leelord337
09-17-2008, 10:11 PM
^^^haha, nahh, i would say u have a big shot

DizBoiDanny
09-17-2008, 10:55 PM
i live in alief. South West side

Leelord337
09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
i just got an email saying that www.ultimatetennis.com is giving houstonians a free tennis season for fall 2008. i joined and am playin 4.0's.

the deadline is the 22nd of sept so hurry and register

DizBoiDanny
09-18-2008, 06:42 PM
i try to join, but i have to be 21 and older -_-

Ignorant Genius
09-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I've played at the Woodlands twice. Nice courts, but I think you have to be staying there or a member to be able to play.

Leelord337
09-18-2008, 10:42 PM
^^^just lie about ur age, my friend is playing and he's only 16

DizBoiDanny
09-19-2008, 09:20 AM
It said, i have to sign up for 4.5, but i want to sign up for 4.0. How can you?

Leelord337
09-20-2008, 01:05 PM

This just in, Fun doubles at 1pm sunday sept 21, 2008 at strawberry park

winning team gets 2 free racquet stringings. $8 per person

DizBoiDanny
09-20-2008, 01:48 PM
whats the address of it leelord?

Leelord337
09-20-2008, 03:35 PM
whats the address of it leelord?

1202 Parkside Dr
Pasadena, TX 77502-5134
Phone: (713) 941-8631

pham4313
12-16-2008, 03:14 PM
leelord, would you like to meet up and hit during the week of Dec 27 to jan 5? Thanks:)
If anyone can, please let me know.

Leelord337
12-16-2008, 08:33 PM
yeah, i can play at rice university or at san jacinto college north campus, what side of town are you on, i'm a 4.0/4.5 level...it'll be cool to hit, thx, my email is leelord337@gmail.com

NoMansLandPlayer
12-16-2008, 09:07 PM
leelord,

when do you hit (play) at SJN? I am over in Baytown and am always looking for someone good to hit with. You seem to be willing to play often.

pham4313
12-16-2008, 09:15 PM
that's cool!! I ll be staying north at the woodlands. I have a car so i can get around though. Thanks a lot Leelord. I ll shoot you an email when i come down :)

sureshs
12-18-2008, 03:39 PM
What tennis clubs are in/close to Cypress (zip code 77433)?

MLoutch
12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
What tennis clubs are in/close to Cypress (zip code 77433)?

As for public adside from the High School courts nothing really nice - As for clubs you have Coles Crossing with a nice but a small Tennis Center, In Copperfield you have the Copperfield Tennis club and just off 290 you have the new Huber Tennis Center just built last year by current world No.1 womens doubles player L Huber - her and her husband have built an 11 court facility - I play there and my Kids train there and they have evening workouts during the week.

Where exactly are you going to be? Hotel? Subdivision? Cypress is a HUGE area that covers 9 High schools and spans 3 differnet freeways -

sureshs
12-19-2008, 07:28 AM
As for public adside from the High School courts nothing really nice - As for clubs you have Coles Crossing with a nice but a small Tennis Center, In Copperfield you have the Copperfield Tennis club and just off 290 you have the new Huber Tennis Center just built last year by current world No.1 womens doubles player L Huber - her and her husband have built an 11 court facility - I play there and my Kids train there and they have evening workouts during the week.

Where exactly are you going to be? Hotel? Subdivision? Cypress is a HUGE area that covers 9 High schools and spans 3 differnet freeways -

Thanks. I located the Copperfield club by some more googling yesterday but did not know about the Huber Tennis Center.

The place I might be visiting is in the Cypress-Fairbanks school district and close to a community college there. Westgate Villas is the development. Which club is closest from there?

MLoutch
12-21-2008, 12:16 PM
The Cypress School district is the largest in the Country from one end to the other is like 30+ miles - The district HQ is close to Beltway 8 (SAM HOUSTON TOLL ROAD) and HWY 290 -

Copperfield would be the nearest - Huber's facility further out about 5 miles North/West off 290 they do have a website.

sureshs
12-21-2008, 02:50 PM
The Cypress School district is the largest in the Country from one end to the other is like 30+ miles - The district HQ is close to Beltway 8 (SAM HOUSTON TOLL ROAD) and HWY 290 -

Copperfield would be the nearest - Huber's facility further out about 5 miles North/West off 290 they do have a website.

Thanks. Copperfield said they are 10 minutes away. Will check the Huber site.

pham4313
12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
I will in town tomorrow. Anyone wants to hit some tennis in the evening or at night, shoot me an email at pham4313@yahoo.com
Thanks

DizBoiDanny
12-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Anyone hit around the Alief area?

Leelord337
12-27-2008, 05:34 PM
leelord, would you like to meet up and hit during the week of Dec 27 to jan 5? Thanks:)
If anyone can, please let me know.

good match yesterday pham, you're very consistent and have excellent technique. i had a great time, oh btw, if u wanna come hit again can u bring those pt57a's or maybe i can go to the woodlands to hit w/u or something, and i'll bring gulbis' racquet. just txt or call me.

pham4313
12-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Thank you Lee! You guys are great too! Love your instinct at net and your solid returns. And Julian's forehand is just monsterous. I got 3 LMP pj at the door today and managed to string one up. I have been busy the last couple days so havent got a chance to hit except the other day i hit with ozmund. He's really solid player with beautiful one-hander.
Let's hit again soon.

BiGGieStuFF
01-02-2009, 08:52 AM
So what were the scores?

Leelord337
01-02-2009, 09:41 AM
^^^oh we played doubles that night, pham & i won 6-2 then i teamed up against pham and wade and won again 6-2 then won 7-6 w/pham against wade and julian, then lost 6-4 to pham and julian. we got out there at 9pm and played til 1:30, lol

BiGGieStuFF
01-05-2009, 11:22 AM
^^^oh we played doubles that night, pham & i won 6-2 then i teamed up against pham and wade and won again 6-2 then won 7-6 w/pham against wade and julian, then lost 6-4 to pham and julian. we got out there at 9pm and played til 1:30, lol

Was this at strawberry? The lights stay on that late?

Leelord337
01-05-2009, 03:59 PM
oh nah, it was at rice university, lights go off at 9 at strawberry tennis center

det3
01-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Not close to the largest school district in the country. There are school districts in upper michigan where kids ride the bus for 60-70 miles to get to high school...

Leelord337
01-12-2009, 11:18 PM
leelord,

when do you hit (play) at SJN? I am over in Baytown and am always looking for someone good to hit with. You seem to be willing to play often.

hey had fun playin tennis w/ya + the gang at baytown for the 1st time. u guys are all really good and ev1 has their own true weapon that makes it fun, yeah, u should come out to san jac 'n play or at rice univ. always a bunch of good players there too.

BiGGieStuFF
01-26-2009, 02:14 PM
man...this name was way back in the day! i'm an all around player but mostly spends it on the baseline! :P hehe

how about we take it to the court and you can decide haha

wow after all this time I just finally saw this post. I had no idea a challenge was thrown my way :)

BiGGieStuFF
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Where are the ladies? I need some players for mixed :D

MLoutch
01-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Not close to the largest school district in the country. There are school districts in upper michigan where kids ride the bus for 60-70 miles to get to high school...

I should have said COUNTY as in Harris where cfisd located - CFISD is almost 200 sq miles - 9 high schools & soon to be 12 and each has over 3,000 students - and this is one of 22 districts in our county - The district itself brags about how large it is on a national basis with the number of schools, size and enrollment and also being over 20 miles from downtown.

I've also heard of kids out in West Texas who have to communte 70+miles - they also have something like 50 kids in the whole region - not exactly large

I don't think its anything to brag about being so stinking large and spread out - one reason I refuse to live on the far northwest sdie of town - its nuts

imalil2gangsta4u
04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
hey im a junior in high school and i was wondering wheres the best place to get some tennis lessons for a reasonable price. i need to go somewhere where i can be pushed and challenged. im probably a high 3.5 to low 4.0

Leelord337
04-05-2009, 05:39 PM
^^^try strawberry park tennis center in pasadena, its $30 an hour and $15 for 1/2 an hour, this coach was coached by Jack Kramer and is very good, his name is harry.

imalil2gangsta4u
04-05-2009, 08:22 PM
anything closer the north side? im in the spring area

jmverdugo
10-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Hello Friends,

I will be visiting your beatiful city from Nov 1st to the 22th. If any of you feel like going out for a hit please let me know. I am on my thirties and on a good day I am a solid 4.0 (Match Play wise), but I have no problem on hitting with anyone of any level. I will be staying on Sugarland but could drive a bit to meet any of you in convenience place. Thanks.

Dave Mc
10-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I will be staying on Sugarland

Try calling some tennis clubs near Sugarland, such as New Territory 281 565 5355, Sweetwater 281 980 4100, Sugar Creek 281 494 6086.

And look into november tournaments near Sugarland...
http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=87440
http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=67011
http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=71077
http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=76687

jmverdugo
10-16-2009, 04:31 PM
^^ Cool, thank you very much I will definitely try to enter one some of those tournies, do I have to be a USTA member?

Dave Mc
10-19-2009, 07:37 AM
You'll need usta membership only for the usta sanctioned tournaments. The first 2 links I gave you are non-sanctioned, the next 2 links are sanctioned. Good luck!

jmverdugo
10-21-2009, 03:43 AM
Thank you very much for your help, I will try to participate on those tournaments for sure, on the other hand if any of you find yourselves without hitting partner just shoot me and email.

Dave Mc
10-22-2009, 06:38 AM
The 3 clubs I listed are private, so I'm not sure how helpful they will be. The big public facility near Sugarland is Lee LeClear 713 272 3697.

jmverdugo
10-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Ok, but do I need to be a member to sign in to the tournaments? I guess I will give them a call and find out about it, thank you very much for your help, Lee LeClrear sound good too.

Leelord337
10-25-2009, 04:11 PM
^^^personally i don't really like the courts at lee leclear tennis center...they're just always have this sand stuff on the courts, and some of them dip, and the gates are rusty. i guess with any tennis center built in the 70s this is what they look like

there are some free courts that are really nice at a public park near there too

SlapChop
10-27-2009, 08:59 AM
I live right by sugarland. I usually hit in Pearland though at lunch time. We might be able to get together. There are plenty of public courts around. Look up fort bend tennis.

jmverdugo
10-28-2009, 03:15 AM
Thanks Slapshot, of course we could get together, I will send you an email trough here to see if it possible. I checked Fort Bend but couldnt find it in Google Earth using the address that is on their website, i guess I am doing something wrong.

Thank you all for yout help btw.

SlapChop
10-29-2009, 12:20 PM
http://www.fortbendtennis.com

BajeDuane
10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
I moved to Houston in May. I live close to Memorial Park. If anyone is looking for someone to hit with let me know. I am definitely available in the morning, but but can be in the afternoon as well.

jmverdugo
10-30-2009, 05:17 AM
^^ Hi BD, as you may have read I will be staying in Houston for some time and I am looking for someone to play. That park is kind of far away from where I am staying but I could definitely go up there to play some tennis, specially on weekends ... on a side note I think you are by far a much better player than me but as long as you are OK with it it is fine with me too.

BajeDuane
10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Where will you be staying in Houston? I think we can work something out and hit some balls somewhere.

jmverdugo
10-30-2009, 10:50 AM
I will be staying at Sugarland but probably have a car available so can drive anywhere within a reasonable driving distance.

BajeDuane
10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
ok well I can drive wherever so if there is a place closer to you, that is cool with me. I don't know the tennis spots so well yet, but I got navi so as long as I have an address I can find it. You can message me at dlwilliams14@gmail.com

BajeDuane
11-03-2009, 12:31 AM
I will be staying at Sugarland but probably have a car available so can drive anywhere within a reasonable driving distance.

Hey, I just realized that I deleted your email by accident, can you send it again?
Thanks

SlapChop
11-17-2009, 01:25 PM
If you want to play in Sugarland this weekend send me a PM.

jmverdugo
11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
If you want to play in Sugarland this weekend send me a PM.

Cool, I do not know if I have time though because I am leaving on sunday. I will let you know by pm.

On another note BajaDuane and I met to hit last week and had a good hitting session.

Gee Willikers Batman!
12-13-2009, 09:46 AM
4.5+ player

I live in the North West side of Houston, Texas in the Cypress area.
Email me if you would like to hit. shortaznken@hotmail.com

EZRA
06-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Hello. I will be in Houston late this month. Planning on staying there for 2 weeks. Will be looking for people to pay with. Will be staying at the Belleaire area.

J011yroger
06-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Hello. I will be in Houston late this month. Planning on staying there for 2 weeks. Will be looking for people to pay with. Will be staying at the Belleaire area.

Sorry for off topic but I tried to reply to your e-mail and it bounced.

J

mavsman149
06-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Anybody want to hit in the woodlands area who is about a a 4.5?

EZRA
06-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Where is Woodlands?

I'm gonna be visiting my sister this week.. staying close to 2 weeks in Houston. Anyone up for playing? I prefer playing doubles.. I don't have the stamina for singles.

mistapooh
09-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Just moved to Houston, near downtown. I haven't played for 2 years... but looking forward to getting back into light hitting, nothing competitive like I once was. I should still give a 3.0-3.5 a good workout, I'm just happy hitting the ball.

Big_Dangerous
09-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Just moved to Houston, near downtown. I haven't played for 2 years... but looking forward to getting back into light hitting, nothing competitive like I once was. I should still give a 3.0-3.5 a good workout, I'm just happy hitting the ball.

Can't tell if you're a girl or a guy, not that it matters.

However, if you're up to hit around in the southwest part of town near Reliant Stadium, feel free to e-mail me. Same goes to anyone else in this thread.

I'm a 3.0 level player. Sometimes I'll play @ University of Houston, with their tennis club, but I don't go every week.

d_doggrenegade311@hotmail.com

Big_Dangerous
09-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Where is Woodlands?

I'm gonna be visiting my sister this week.. staying close to 2 weeks in Houston. Anyone up for playing? I prefer playing doubles.. I don't have the stamina for singles.

Really really far up north, kind of like Katy is really really far out west.

mistapooh
09-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Can't tell if you're a girl or a guy, not that it matters.

However, if you're up to hit around in the southwest part of town near Reliant Stadium, feel free to e-mail me. Same goes to anyone else in this thread.

I'm a 3.0 level player. Sometimes I'll play @ University of Houston, with their tennis club, but I don't go every week.

Houston's strange. I live 2 miles north of the med center and it's considered N/W isn't it? Reliant Stadium is like 4 miles south, and that's S/W lol? I'll email you soon, maybe this weekend if you're free.

jmverdugo
09-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Hello everybody. I will be moving to Houston next week. I will probably be staying somewhere in SW Houston but can drive to other zones. Hey BajeDuane, if you are still in Houston let me know, I will shoot you an email anyway to see if we can hit someday. If anybody want to hit just send me an email jmverdugoa@gmail.com.

BajeDuane
09-02-2010, 04:53 AM
I am still in Houston. We can definitely hit sometime. School just started so I am coaching the team but we can work out a good time for both of us or anyone else that is interested in hitting.

gavna
09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Houston's strange. I live 2 miles north of the med center and it's considered N/W isn't it? Reliant Stadium is like 4 miles south, and that's S/W lol? I'll email you soon, maybe this weekend if you're free.

Welcome to the land of 12 malls looking for a city or is it 2000 gas stations looking for a city (old Houston joke) - actually NW would be the Cypress, Jersey Village and even include the Heights area. SW is the Bellaire, Sugarland, Fort Bend...etc area - Reliant and the Dome close to Bellaire so it does get lumped in as SW. North would be Spring and The Woodlands, Memorial would be west and the Kingwood, Humble is North East - If you are 2 miles north of Reliant then you are in the Medical Center maybe the southern part of West University (West U) and you would be right next to Rice U. Tons of places to play and find players - Lee LeClear tennis ctr in Bellaire, Memorial Park Tennis ctr both have 20+ courts and easy to find players, The city of Houston parks dept runs like 200+ courts citywide. I know Rice also has a club you can join and use the excellent Rice U facility.

BrianJJohnson
08-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Bumping this.

3.0 level player living in south side.

Willing to travel / play.

Also need to know where to go to get racquets restrung!

Thanks.

gavna
08-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Where on the "south side" are you? We are so freaking spread out - are u south of downtown? South of the loop? Sugarland? Bellaire? Clear Lake? West U? We have tons of clubs and on Westheimer and Wilcrest we have a huge Tennis specialty store that competes with TW.

BrianJJohnson
08-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Where on the "south side" are you? We are so freaking spread out - are u south of downtown? South of the loop? Sugarland? Bellaire? Clear Lake? West U? We have tons of clubs and on Westheimer and Wilcrest we have a huge Tennis specialty store that competes with TW.

15 minutes south of downtown

gavna
08-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Well it sounds like you are just south off 288 between loop 610 and the Beltway just past Reliant Stadium. Your best bet is Memorial Park Tennis Ctr with 20 courts or Lee LaClear with 26 courts. Very easy to get games and join leagues......etc. Both also have stringers who do good jobs, if you check out Mermorial ask for the manager Eric Youmans top Texas player and played at Houston when they had top 5 program back in the 70s. He can help set u up and is awesome guy.

If you want private check out the Downtown MET just off Smith (west side of downtown) that has like 20 indoor courts, can't miss the place as it's on the top Smith St garage next to the ChevronTexaco heritage building.

As for shops the closest would be the very large one on Westheimer and Wilcrest just west of the Beltway they have everything you need and top stringers.

paolojackson
09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
@Brian, I am a 3.0 and would like to play.

@gavna, do you have to pay to play at Memorial? Do they have a number or website?

gavna
09-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Fees at Memorial, Lee Leclear and Homer Ford are $4 off peak, $6 after 530pm and weekends per hour. You can call and reserve unto a week in advance and can save .50 when you walk up. Look up houstontx.gov/parks/tenniscourts

paolojackson
09-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Awesome, thanks gavna. Any suggestions for finding people to play with at a low level (3.0)? Just started playing for about 6 months and don't have too many to play/hit around with.

gavna
09-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Both Memorial Park and Lee LaClear can help set you up as they are the largest public facilities. I would call Memorial Park and ask for Eric Youmans he can help set you up.

mistapooh
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
If you're just south of "the loop," try going to Rice courts or UH's main campus courts. Rice will have regulars there and you can find partners. UH is dead on the weekend, so you'll always have a court if you need to do practice or hit with a partner.

Big_Dangerous
11-04-2011, 12:33 AM
If any of you guys are looking to just hit around feel free to e-mail me up.

I know of several courts in the Bellaire area, and am always up for a hit.

In fact my usual hitting partner has been super flakey lately, so I'm definitely looking for someone else to hit around with.

Big_Dangerous
11-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Well it sounds like you are just south off 288 between loop 610 and the Beltway just past Reliant Stadium. Your best bet is Memorial Park Tennis Ctr with 20 courts or Lee LaClear with 26 courts. Very easy to get games and join leagues......etc. Both also have stringers who do good jobs, if you check out Mermorial ask for the manager Eric Youmans top Texas player and played at Houston when they had top 5 program back in the 70s. He can help set u up and is awesome guy.

If you want private check out the Downtown MET just off Smith (west side of downtown) that has like 20 indoor courts, can't miss the place as it's on the top Smith St garage next to the ChevronTexaco heritage building.

As for shops the closest would be the very large one on Westheimer and Wilcrest just west of the Beltway they have everything you need and top stringers.

Honestly it's a good place, but they are more expensive than TW. If you're getting like a bunch of stuff, you're better off buying on TW to be honest. Even with the 5.95 shipping, you still save and you don't have to pay the 8.25% Texas tax. And even better if you order 75 or more worth of stuff off here.

For racket stringing, unless you live very close to TW it's expensive. 15 per racket is tough plus if you don't want to make 2 trips, then you'll likely want them to expedite it, so that's 18 bucks a racket... I know a pretty reliable guy who strings for 10 per racket and he usually gets it back in a day or so, plus he lives so much closer to me. But to each their own.

gavna
11-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Honestly it's a good place, but they are more expensive than TW. If you're getting like a bunch of stuff, you're better off buying on TW to be honest. Even with the 5.95 shipping, you still save and you don't have to pay the 8.25% Texas tax. And even better if you order 75 or more worth of stuff off here.

For racket stringing, unless you live very close to TW it's expensive. 15 per racket is tough plus if you don't want to make 2 trips, then you'll likely want them to expedite it, so that's 18 bucks a racket... I know a pretty reliable guy who strings for 10 per racket and he usually gets it back in a day or so, plus he lives so much closer to me. But to each their own.

You know they will price match and often beat other prices. I think it's good to shop local - making the effort to keep both TW and competitors strong good for all. You really don't want to have just one retailer dominating the market, competition good......we used to have close to a dozen shops here, now only Two real full time shops (I'm not sure if the place in Little Saigon/Chinatown still open: all he had was Yonex anyway) I heard a third opened then closed and relocated to the new Tennis Complex south of The Woodlands.

Big_Dangerous
11-05-2011, 01:03 AM
You know they will price match and often beat other prices. I think it's good to shop local - making the effort to keep both TW and competitors strong good for all. You really don't want to have just one retailer dominating the market, competition good......we used to have close to a dozen shops here, now only Two real full time shops (I'm not sure if the place in Little Saigon/Chinatown still open: all he had was Yonex anyway) I heard a third opened then closed and relocated to the new Tennis Complex south of The Woodlands.

I didn't think about requesting a price match. I hate to be that customer, typically I'll just find the better deal and buy from that place. I always feel like a dick if I walk in or ask them to price match something.

I just bought some socks from there though. They were having buy 4 packs get 15% off, so it basically worked out as a buy 3 packs of socks and get the 4th for free sale.

Big_Dangerous
11-05-2011, 01:10 AM
If any of you guys are looking to just hit around feel free to e-mail me up.

I know of several courts in the Bellaire area, and am always up for a hit.

In fact my usual hitting partner has been super flakey lately, so I'm definitely looking for someone else to hit around with.

Quoting to post my e-mail address.

Feel free to e-mail me up for a hit sometime.

I'm probably a 3.0/3.5 player.

bkpr
09-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Hey everyone.

My wife and I just moved to Houston (Montrose area). I'm looking for some people to have jus a hit with, maybe some singles or doubles. Have taken a couple months off during the move and looking to get back into the swing of things.

I'm around a 3.25 (self-rated :) I prefer to play during the mornings or daytime on weekdays at the moment.

Cheers!

gavna
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone.

My wife and I just moved to Houston (Montrose area). I'm looking for some people to have jus a hit with, maybe some singles or doubles. Have taken a couple months off during the move and looking to get back into the swing of things.

I'm around a 3.25 (self-rated :) I prefer to play during the mornings or daytime on weekdays at the moment.

Cheers!

You and your WIFE moved into The Montrose:shock: not exactly the normal demographic....:)....your best bet are the courts at Rice University.....The Memorial Park tennis center is also fairly close....as your in Hosuton get used to driving everywhere. Memorial has some excellent leagues and lots of players.

RF20Lennon
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
There's a nice place at sweet water country club close to sugar land and pretty much any public school

gavna
10-01-2012, 06:19 AM
There's a nice place at sweet water country club close to sugar land and pretty much any public school

Ummm the Montrose no where near Sugarland........and many of the public HS in Houston do lock their tennis courts.......and I'm not even sure how good the courts are at Lamar (close to Montrose).

bkpr
10-02-2012, 06:17 AM
You and your WIFE moved into The Montrose:shock: not exactly the normal demographic....:)

Heh, the perils of signing a lease within one week of landing in the US.

I'm heading to Memorial Park today for a look-see and a hit against the wall. I've found one person who's keen for a hit this week, so the wall will hopefully bring back a couple months of muscle memory loss.

I've found these courts on Westheimer too: Clicky (http://goo.gl/maps/XIWwj). They look public but haven't been there yet to check.

gavna
10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Heh, the perils of signing a lease within one week of landing in the US.

I'm heading to Memorial Park today for a look-see and a hit against the wall. I've found one person who's keen for a hit this week, so the wall will hopefully bring back a couple months of muscle memory loss.

I've found these courts on Westheimer too: Clicky (http://goo.gl/maps/XIWwj). They look public but haven't been there yet to check.

No they are not public........Hahahaha that's part of the Briar Club - very very nice but fits typical River Oaks crowd....

bkpr
10-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Aren't the Briar Club courts the ones on the south side of Westheimer? I'm talking about the four courts right on Westheimer to the north. The surfaces look a little worm, and they are right next to River Oaks Park.

I wish the courts south of Westheimer were public. They look nice an shiny :)

bkpr
11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Can anyone recommend a stringer in Houston, preferably inner loop/Montrose/Memorial Park? I saw Otis stringing at Memorial. Does anyone use Otis?

Thanks!

gavna
11-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Can anyone recommend a stringer in Houston, preferably inner loop/Montrose/Memorial Park? I saw Otis stringing at Memorial. Does anyone use Otis?

Thanks!

Otis good and tons of folks use him....also Eric Youmans at Memorial (can't miss him as he sell has all hat red hair)...he taught me back when he had his own shop in the late 70s and 80s......Eric one of the great guys - was a top college player at UH when (they had a team) and an NCAA powerhouse in the 70s -

bkpr
11-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Ok, good to know. Thanks.

anhuynh16
11-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Aren't the Briar Club courts the ones on the south side of Westheimer? I'm talking about the four courts right on Westheimer to the north. The surfaces look a little worm, and they are right next to River Oaks Park.

I wish the courts south of Westheimer were public. They look nice an shiny :)

Probably late reply, but you are referring to Pumpkin Park?

bkpr
11-08-2012, 04:37 AM
I don't think it's called Pumpkin Park, but I'm not sure. It's across Westheimer from the park south of where they had a giant pumpkin patch during October. So maybe?

I've since had a few sessions at Homer Ford Tennis Centre in Third Ward. It's a great little place, $2.50

gavna
11-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't think it's called Pumpkin Park, but I'm not sure. It's across Westheimer from the park south of where they had a giant pumpkin patch during October. So maybe?

I've since had a few sessions at Homer Ford Tennis Centre in Third Ward. It's a great little place, $2.50

No the park is River Oaks Park.........it's right at the Westheimer/Edloe intersection.

Dont think anyone in the Third Ward plays tennis.....Homer Ford is in Macgregor Park no one living in that area would want to be associated with the 3rd ward:)

bkpr
11-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Lucky I don't live in 3rd ward :P
Great set of courts though, well maintained and cheap!

NLBwell
11-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I used to play at the University of Houston courts.

Huzzah
11-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Hello all,
Moved to Houston from Austin 2 months ago. My tennis play has been really lacking and I'm in need of advice. In Austin, I often played in group clinics and drills at Caswell Tennis Center and South Austin Tennis Center. I loved these because they were affordable and easy. I'm a strong 4.0, but don't really care about the quality of others if I could find a good clinic to drop in on.

I have a strange work schedule and have free time in the weekdays in the mornings or afternoon.
Memorial Park would be perfect if they had weekly drills or cardio tennis, I just want to run around and hit tennis balls basically.

Can anyone give me advice if there are group clinics in Houston like this? I live off Westheimer and Sheoherd, but would be willing to drive a mild distance to hit. I'm aware of the Galleria Club and other private tennis clubs, but would love to find an affordable place.

gavna
11-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Did you contact Memorial TC and check about drills???? I know they had them but it's possible due to most work schedules they would be in the late afternoon or evenings.......morning workouts are usually full of women league players.

Close by you also have the indoor MET downtown....it's right on Smith St just south of the Shell and Texaco Heritage buildings - its the huge brown building that sits on top of the Smith St Parking structures - cant miss it.

mavsman149
07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Anyone from around the Woodlands area looking for a hitting partner. I'm 23 and was playing 5.0 level last year before hurting my shoulder....looking for anyone wanting to hit!

BajeDuane
07-23-2013, 04:31 AM
Anyone from around the Woodlands area looking for a hitting partner. I'm 23 and was playing 5.0 level last year before hurting my shoulder....looking for anyone wanting to hit!

There is a bunch of us guys that play at Forest Oaks Swim & Tennis. It is a bit south of the woodland but a lot of the guys live in the general area. Everyone is around 4.0-5.0. Also Wednesday nights at Forest Oaks there are singles matches at 6:30pm.

gavna
07-23-2013, 04:44 AM
The Club - (The Woodlands Tennis Club) on Auburn Lakes is a fairly new tip notch facility - also of course the Woodlands Country Club

The Club has a pretty big group and the fees are not out of line - lots of solid 4.0 - 5.0 are regulars

mavsman149
07-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Gavna, thanks I will have to check that out do you know what days they hit at the Woodlands Club.....it's the indoor facility right next to the resort right?

BajeDuane, are there always matches Wed at 6:30? What does it cost? What days do you guys go hit?

BajeDuane
07-24-2013, 04:45 AM
Gavna, thanks I will have to check that out do you know what days they hit at the Woodlands Club.....it's the indoor facility right next to the resort right?

BajeDuane, are there always matches Wed at 6:30? What does it cost? What days do you guys go hit?

Yes we play matches. I think the guest fee for the club is like $5 or $10, but there is no fee for the matches. It is something new the pro is starting and he wants it to be a regular thing. His name is Ken Sjoberg (281) 451-8782

mavsman149
07-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Okay solid, thanks BajeDuane, is it cool to just show up or should I call Ken first?

BajeDuane
07-25-2013, 03:54 AM
Okay solid, thanks BajeDuane, is it cool to just show up or should I call Ken first?

I would call him first. Like I said it is a new thing he is trying to start so he doesn't always get people every week, so it would be better to just call him and see if he has any guys for that particular week.

gavna
07-25-2013, 05:37 AM
Here is the last schedule for The Woodlands Tennis Cub - the club

Ken Oliver is the Head Pro - great guy and has excellent rep in the area - 832.559.7443

Monday Beginners Wake-Up Workout Tennis $15 Members/$20 Non-member (level: 3.0 and below) 10:30am – 11:30am
Monday Night Drill Complimentary for Members/$15 Non-member 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Tuesday Night Men’s League 3.5/4.5 February 1st – May (doubles & singles) Complimentary for Members/$75 Non-member 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Wednesday Advanced Cardio Tennis $20 Members/$25 Non-member (level: 3.5 and above) 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Thursday Night Ladies League 3.0/4.0 February 1st – May (doubles & singles) Complimentary for Members/$75 Non-member 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Saturday Morning Drill Complimentary for members/Guest $10 9:00am - 10:00am