PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live in hawaii?

zesty-man
07-23-2004, 10:34 AM
i live in hawaii, and i was just wondering, was there anyone here thats from hawaii?

Coda
07-25-2004, 09:20 PM
I went to hawaii for a few weeks a month ago, does that count? The tennis environment is pretty good over there at the hula koa hotel.

zesty-man
07-25-2004, 09:44 PM
hmmm, really? what kinda people are hitting down there?

Coda
07-25-2004, 09:56 PM
well, they were mostly tourists like myself looking for a pick up game. From what I can remember there is a friendly round robin that the public can play on tuesdays and thursdays around 6.

zesty-man
07-25-2004, 10:06 PM
wow thats really cool. so i guess it was sorta scattered, good players, not so good players, great players, etc etc.

btw, did you bring your rackets with you on the trip?

Coda
07-25-2004, 10:08 PM
most of the people were all about 3.5..I'm an alright 4.5, it was still fun to hit, there were a few guys who were solid 4.5ers and beat the crap out of me. Yeah, I brought one racket and strung it with new strings right before I went and put string savers on hoping the gut wouldn't break in the humidity.

bookem
07-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Most of the players at Hale Koa, from my experience, were staying at the hotel which is primarily a military R&R stop (old Fort deRussy).

In the area, besides the Ala Moana courts, there are some pretty competitive people at the Diamond Head courts, past Kapiolani Park. There's an active morning group and afternoon group as well...

As far as I know, not too many people play at CORP... too far...

zesty-man
07-26-2004, 12:49 AM
hmmmmmm, im not really looking for reallly good players to play against. some of my friends play at fort derussy. however, a problem is that i live in mililani, so im really far away from diamond head. on the other hand, i am close to CORP....

bookem
07-26-2004, 12:52 AM
Then you might want to stop by CORP and check their programs... Last I remember, Mark Beede (former Hawaii Section head) heads up the group which manages CORP and they have quite a program there...

Don't know what else might be in the Mililani or Waipahu area...

zesty-man
07-26-2004, 12:55 AM
yea, i know a few people there, and i know mark. from what i collect, hes always digging from your pockets... i have a couple of friends that take some kinda down there, maybe ill check it out. rite now im taking lessons from rusty komori, but im looking to get MORE playing time outside of lessons, like match experience. also, it would be nice if i could find a guy that lives close to me that wantsd to hit...

bookem
07-26-2004, 01:06 AM
Sad to say that's true about that group...

Have you checked into Team Tennis or League play? Check Lynn Lozano at the Section office on Beretania...

Sorry but I'm not anywhere near your area...

zesty-man
07-26-2004, 01:08 AM
not really. a couple friends of mine were thinking of playing JTT, but we werent sure what team we were gonna play on/what level we should play on. im also looking to play in some tourneys, but the problem is, i lost my USTA card.........

what part are you around/how good are you?

are we the only two that live in hawaii???

bookem
07-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Even if you lost your USTA card, the Section office can look up the pertinent info from their files/database.

I'm not even close... I'm on a different island :D

zesty-man
07-26-2004, 01:12 AM
OIC, that really makes sense........ ill try checking to see about my USTA thing.

bookem
07-26-2004, 01:14 AM
... and I was rated a 4.5 coupla years back...

mlee2
07-27-2004, 05:15 AM
Mililani is a good area for tennis..that is...if you're a junior.

All the tennis effort is dedicated to the juniors there (mostly because of MHS).

The best and closest to your area that I can think of is Waipio Central Park that has lots of courts. You'll find lots of players (I'm guessing) there since it's public and brand-spanking new.

I'm a townie myself and the best place I can think of is the courts at Ala Moana if you're looking for a pick-up game. All levels of players play there.

If you're willing to get your *** whooped a lot of times, just go to UH and play around there. College guys usually come there a lot. Some of the haole chicks might come around and want to "play" with those balls you bring. ;-)

zesty-man
07-27-2004, 12:11 PM
hmmmm, yea mililani high school is pretty good, but i go to mid pacific, rite next to UH.

a lot of my friends play at ala moana, usually fort derussi. the last time we played there, we got kicked off the courts by some old guys that said that had the court reserved....... i just got my lisense, so i can pretty much drive anywhere, and pick up my friends. i was wondering, you know the courts in ala moana park? where can i park, and how far would the walk be. im thinking that maybe i should just park in the ala moana parking, and J-walk.

ah, and finally UH. if im correct, channen is the coach there rite?? from what i hear, hes a really great coach. a few of my frriends took from him, and theyre really good. and yes, a lot of girls at UH are hottttttttt........... my teacher mr kaneko, this kinda young guy, tells us that UH is known for its girl. however, i dont think im even near the level of those college people...

bookem
07-28-2004, 10:34 PM
I always preferred parking at the Ala Moana courts on the park side and not the Mall; if you go about 50 yards toward the marina there's a decent shave ice place on the same side as the courts :lol:

zesty-man
07-28-2004, 10:46 PM
hmm, yea, i was taking a look today. there seems to be parking all around, but im worried that one day i wont be able to find any parking. is it really crowded on the weekend?

bigserving
07-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Parking at Ala Moana fills up fast on the weekends. You can always park across the street and maybe get lucky and find street parking in the park. It is usually pretty easy to find someone to play with. There is a big practice wall where people meet.

There are a few honeys who come to the courts there and Ala Moana beach is always a good place to find tourist talent as well as some hot local wahine, guaruns bruddha!

The courts at Pearl City might be closer to you. Not sure though.

Conact the USTA office or even the boys at McCully Bike should be able to point you in the right direction to find play at your level.

Aloha.

zesty-man
07-30-2004, 12:39 PM
ah mccully bike........ i used to go there until i found out about this place called waipahu racket. anyways, thanks for the advice.

Coda
07-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Waipahu racket...is that a little racket shop west of Waikiki in a little room? If it is, that was a nice guy.

zesty-man
07-30-2004, 03:03 PM
yea, its a very small room. its on the 2nd story above of some kinda club

Coda
07-30-2004, 06:12 PM
I've never seen so many rackets in such a small place.

mlee2
07-30-2004, 07:51 PM
yup, next to Alan Wong's restaurant on King St. Good place but I prefer to string at McCully Bike.

zesty-man
07-30-2004, 11:33 PM
why???????

mlee2
07-31-2004, 01:37 AM
Preferences in how they string (i.e consistent tension plus IMO better stringing machines) and they ARE cheaper than Waipahu, provided you have your own string.

Anyways, if you time it right, you can get a great racquet REALLY cheap at McCully Bike.

zesty-man
07-31-2004, 02:01 AM
hmmm........ very good points. at waipahu racket, as you get to know them better, they really start to cut you some deals. for example, i got the prince diablo for 150, including stringing AND strings (i didnt have any strings, so i went with the lightning). however, ill be really open minded, becuase i saw the prince diablo for the exact same prince, but i dont know about shipping and stuff. one my friend's dad is like part owner of mccully or something. i think he only owns like 5% tho......

bookem
07-31-2004, 10:15 AM
Always thought of Waipahu as the more esoteric of the two, primarily because of its selection and quality of selection (such as Volkl, Yonex, Babolat). McCully is fine if you want the standard big names.

Never had to worry about stringing since I do my own...

Heard there was a guy stringing outdoors at DH last week... don't think it was one of Don's guys though...