PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop M-Fil 300

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

TopJunior56
08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey,
I've been loking to buy one of the dunlops, but i'd like some feedback, so does anyone play with the 300's:) ?

fielders_80
08-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes i play with the Mfil 300. Its a bit light but can be easily fixed by adding some lead tapes. The Mfil 300 is not as solid as my 03 Tour MP from the baseline but mfil 300 is a good stick in almost all aspects. Comfortable, good for topspin/flat, great for serve and volley. Its not very stiff nor too flexy. I think Mfil 300 is a very good stick. Cant go wrong with it.

Redflea
08-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Love it...absolutely love it.

Just bought a couple M-Fil 300s after an extensive demo process. I switched to it from my trusty Yonex RDX Mids.

Have mine leaded up to 11.5, 2 grams in the handle, 5 g split between 3 & 9, two Yonex grap overgrips.

Just great at the net, excellent balance of power and control from the ground, and I am serving really well with it, able to pound aces w/power, spin out to the corners, etc., with very little effort. Very easy to access spin, and really solid feel for a such a light weight frame.

fielders_80
08-16-2006, 06:03 AM
Hey Redflea, am thinking about adding lead to my mfil 300. What is the balance of your Mfil 300? Glad to hear someone loves the Mfil 300. This stick is so underrated.

foucapoI
08-16-2006, 06:28 AM
IMO, Mfil 300 feels like a lighter version of PS 6.0 95.
Amazed at the spin potential.
No problem in sending a ball deep.
Great serves with added weight on 12 o'clock.
One of the gems out there!

Redflea
08-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Hey Redflea, am thinking about adding lead to my mfil 300. What is the balance of your Mfil 300? Glad to hear someone loves the Mfil 300. This stick is so underrated.

Balance is pretty close to stock...stock is 3 pts head light, and I was at about 4 pts head light the last time I checked it. I'm thinking about adding a touch of lead at 12 so I will end up closer to stock if I do that.

Yeah...frankly, I had never intended to even demo it. I went to my local shop to pick up another demo which wasn't ready, so I took out the M-Fil 300 just for the heck of it. Liked it from the first hit...so surprised how solid it was for such a light racquet, and the rest is history, as they say. :)

fielders_80
08-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey Redflea, have you played with the Mfil200 2006? The weight is 11.5oz (strung), so basically almost the same as your leaded Mfil 300. I wonder if it plays the same...

Redflea
08-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Yup...demo'd it, but found, strangely, that it swung heavier than it "should" based on th specs. Both myself and a hitting partner who usually uses a PS 6.0 95 found that same issue with it. I wonder now if the demo was out of spec and not a good example...

So I ended up liking the M-Fil 300 w/lead more than the 200...one of the things I did like about the 300 was that since it was lighter I would have more room to play around w/weight/balance w/the lead. I wanted to be at or very close to 11.5 and the 200 wouldn't have given me any room to tweak...the 200 did have a softer feel than the 300, even though it (200) has a higher flex.

I liked the 200 except for the "heavier" feel that the demo had, and the 300 actually felt a little bit more forgiving, even though it only has a 1" larger head. Overall it played similar to the 300. Maybe all in my mind, but that was my perception. The 200 is definitely worth a look...

AndrewD
08-16-2006, 04:02 PM
The MFil-300 is definitely an interesting frame. Tried it a few months back and played quite well with it (very impressive spin potential). However, I was disappointed with the 'feel' and didn't find it a comfortable hit. Tried it again on the weekend and nothing much has changed. It's one of those racquets that I play very well with but just don't enjoy the feel of it. On the other hand, my team-mate loves it. Feel is far less important to him so he has no issues with the frame, plays it stock (he's the equivalent of your 5.0) and plays it very well. Certainly worth a demo.

Redflea
08-16-2006, 04:27 PM
The feel issue w/this stick is interesting...I moved to the M-Fil from an RDX, which has a gorgeous feel that I love, as if I get a mental picture of the ball on the strings via my arm when I hit with it, and the comfort was unparallelled.

The M-Fil isn't at that level, but I'm actually finding it quite nice with good but not great "communication" and feel. At first I wasn't sure I would like that aspect as much as I wanted to, but after a couple weeks with it I'm quite happy. Interestingly, I would say it has had surprisingly good comfort for me - played I four long sets (two tie breakers and two 7-5s) on Sunday and three average sets on Tuesday (all doubles) and haven't had a twinge. Typically with that amount of tennis in three days my trusty old twingy shoulder and suspect elbow would both at least be "talking" to me about it, but they've been quiet. :)

What the 300 doesn't do as well as my old frame is react to framed or very near frame shots...those are harsher. Off-center shots are fine.

TopJunior56
08-16-2006, 04:46 PM
So would you suggest this over the nBlade or the Pure Drive Cortex?

fielders_80
08-16-2006, 05:25 PM
I agree with Redflea and AndrewD. I previously played with the 03 Tour MP (i still use it sometimes) and i love the comfortable feel of 03 Tour (albeit a bit muted). My Mfil 300 is not as comfortable as the 03 Tour MP. I would even say that the 03 Tour has a larger sweetspot and better spin potential. But for some reasons i play better with the Mfil 300 especially for double. I played double against some very good players (5.0) last night and we beat them in 3 sets. And i didnt even come close to being tired. So this is definitely one interesting racquet. The only downside for me is it is very difficult to find this racquet in my country. They dont even sell this in the stores and its definitely not priced at $99.

I have not played with the nblade, but i ve played with the Pure Drive (non Cortex) and APD. I really dont like PD because of its stiffness. Mfil has definitely better feel than the PD. The only Bab i would consider would probably be Pure Storm.

Anyone played with both Pure Storm and Mfil 300? Would be interested to find out how they stack up against each other

AndrewD
08-16-2006, 06:59 PM
I should add that despite not enjoying the feel of the MFil-300 and finding it a bit harsher than other frames on shots hit outside the sweetspot I had absolutely no arm, shoulder or wrist problems after using it. I'm only playing once a week at present (just back from a knee injury) so my timing is still 'off' and that, naturally, leads to more shots than usual hit outside the sweetspot (also leads to you hitting more serves than usual). Despite that and after playing 5 hard sets of doubles I felt no discomfort at all.

I actually find that surprising as, given the feel, I was expecting the worst.

fielders_80,
Huge difference in feel between the Pure Storm (cushioned) and MFil-300 (rough/harsh). Strangely, I preferred the MFil - despite the feel- and had much better results with it. Regardless, both are very good racquets although, while I could play the MFil stock, I found the Storm too light (I know it's heavier than the Dunlop but it didn't seem to be in synch with it's stock weight).

Redflea
08-16-2006, 10:12 PM
For those reading this who haven't tried on yet, regarding harshness...the M-Fil 300 is a bit harsher at the extremes (frame/near frame) than some other racquets I've hit with recently (e.g., RDS 001 MP, DNX 9) but I wouldn't want to leave the impression that it is a harsh racquet. It is very sweet/solid in the sweet spot, and fine off-center. Volleys like a *****! But if you do frame a serve, you're gonna know it... :)

Still playing w/the lead on mine, more for fun than anything else at this point. (I can see I'm gonna need to join a 12 Step program for tweaking.) :) I added about 3 grams to 12 so I'm now at 11.65 oz. Going to see how that feels tomorrow.

EDIT: Bizarre...the asterisks above replaced a phoenetic spelling of "mother" - m-u-t-h-a - that I had used above. Since when is "mother" and misspelled variants a dirty word!! :)

d wayne
08-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I use the mFil300 and tried a demo of the Pure Storm- thought I would really like the PS.
However, for some reason it felt sluggish - maybe I just didn't care for the weight distribution. I was very inconsistent with the PS and never had a good feel for the ball.
I love playing the mFil300. I tried leather grips & lead , but basically went back to stock(have 3- had to put lead at 3 & 9 on one to bring it in spec with the others). The light weight has never been a problem for me.
Well worth a demo

fielders_80
08-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Agree with Redflea, i too feel that the upper part of the frame is a bit stiffer. Last night during a match, i framed a serve and I felt it for sure. But in overall this is not a harsh frame at all. I ve played 2 hours for 4 days in a row and have not experienced any pain.

jonolau
08-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I've been very intrigued with the M-Fil 300 and the price seems extremely reasonable for a test. I'm trying to look for something that swings more easily than my current C10 Pro. I did consider the DNX9 and placed an order, but after addding in freight charges, it was a shocker.

For those who have played with both the DNX9 and M-Fil300, would you consider the Dunlop as coming close to the Volkl?

Mark S. Hogan
08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I just bought one and have played a few times with it stock and really like it so far. Won't add any lead 'till I use it for a while and maybe never.

Redflea
08-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Jonolau...I thought you had already gotten a DNX 9! You are starting to follow in Craig Clark's footsteps w/the summer of endless decisions... ;)

Yeah, the bargain price on the M-Fil is a sweet bonus...

As I think you know, I demo'd the DNX 9 and M-Fil 300 amongst the many I sticks that I hit with. They were my last two sticks that I chose between, and both performed very well for me in all areas.

After a few days of hitting I was on the fence between the DNX 9 and the M-Fil 300...the DNX had a slightly more solid, comfy feel overall than the M-Fil 300, but both felt very good to me. I did better at the net w/the M-Fil (found it more manueverable, better reaction volleys, and somewhat suprisingly, slightly better on drop/touch volleys), and served better with the M-Fil as well. I use a variety of serves (flat bombs, slice, and kick, lots of varied pace) and was able to dial in my serves w/the M-Fil much easier than the DNX 9 for some reason. However, groundies and serve returns were somewhat more penetrating w/the DNX 9 with less effort.

In the end, I think the main deciding factors were that I found I had the best balance of power/control w/the M-Fil, had better results at net, and my serve came online very quickly with it.

Definitely recommend the M-Fil 300. Also the RDS 001 MP (but that's getting right up w/the DNX 9 in terms of $$).

jonolau
08-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Ho ho ho, my dear Redflea, it's not an easy decision especially when I'm located halfway round the globe ;)

AndrewD
08-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Redflea,

Have you had a chance to experiment with different strings in the MFil-300? I did wonder whether a softer string (the demo I tried was strung with a basic nylon: probably factory strung) might allieviate a bit of the harshness I experienced and give it a bit more 'feel'.

fielders_80
08-18-2006, 05:34 AM
Yeah, would be interested to hear what kind strings (and tension) are you guys using on your Mfil 300.

varuscelli
08-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Oh, Lord. Yet another racquet I feel I want to try. :(

Redflea
08-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Jonolau...I would think a true tennis fan would live as close to TW as possible. Get your priorities straight, man! ;)

I'm using Klip Excellerator 17 at mid-point for my "first round" of stringing. So far that seems to work well in terms of power/control, and comfort. I'm also going to try Technifibre X-1 Biphase in it next, which is my other favorite multi.

fielders_80
08-18-2006, 07:55 AM
cool...we have this little Mfil 300 fan club....

I agree with Redflea that this is a good all around stick. I like my O3 Tour better for groundstrokes, but the Mfil 300 is a better stick in general (serve/volley , etc)

AndrewD, i have mine strung with a Pacific Gut at 55, it does not feel harsh at all, in fact it feels rather comfortable to me. The sweet spot is pretty generous except for the upper part of the frame i think. Volley is great, played double last night and i handled a few hard low volleys with good precision.

Redflea
08-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Fielders 80...did you start at 55 w/the string tension, or work your way down? I'm thinking about going lower in my next string job (say 58) but am worried about getting too much power. I hit relatively flat FH (I can hit heavier top when I need to, but am most comfortable w/a low to moderate amount of topspin), heavier topspin & slice BH, so it's on my FH that I have to be careful about getting my setup too powerful.

jonolau
08-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Jonolau...I would think a true tennis fan would live as close to TW as possible. Get your priorities straight, man! ;)
I try my best .... ;)

jonolau
08-18-2006, 08:07 PM
cool...we have this little Mfil 300 fan club....
I've already ordered my M-Fil 300 which will arrive month's end. So, sign me up for a membership card.

fielders_80
08-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Jonolau, do keep us posted once the Mfil 300 arrives. BTW, cant you buy one in Singapore?

K3oni
08-18-2006, 08:48 PM
mfil 300 is very good...kinda light but good.
dunlop overall is a great company : D

AndrewD
08-18-2006, 10:20 PM
fielders_80,
I can certainly see how gut (especially at a comfortable 55lbs) would increase the feel. When I first demoed the MFil-300, just after it came out, the racquet was strung with a very basic sythetic but I seem remember it feeling very cushioned (actually, too cushioned and lacking control: no doubt, too loose). However, I wasn't sure if my memory was playing tricks on me as the next couple of times I tried it the feel was very crisp and a lot less comfortable.

If I could find a compromise string between the one in the first demo (cheap synthetic but soft, Im guessing it was 16g) and the last couple (basic synthetic: one felt like 17g and the other just felt stiff but both offered better spin) then I think it would be a good balance between comfort and spin.

Redflea
08-18-2006, 10:59 PM
AndrewD: The Klip has a nice feel, a bit softer than the Technifibre X-1 Biphase I used to use, but less spinny than the X-1, I think. A trade-off.

Even softer is the Yonex ProSpin 850 (I think that's the name). You could probably string that tighter than the X-1 or Klip and still maintain a cushiony feel...

The M-Fil 300 demo I used had a string that felt very nice, pocketed well and very comfy, good feel. It was Dunlop M-Fil Tour 16g, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Only $6.95 from TW! I don't have any idea how it lasts or how well it maintains tension, so I didn't string with it first off, but I may give it a try, going to do a search on it in the String forum...

Jonolau: Congrats on your order! Send me $100US in a self-addressed stamped envelope, and I'll send you your card. ;) I really hope you like the M-Fil. If not, blame fielders_80, it's his fault! By the way, what did you order for string/tension?

fielders_80
08-18-2006, 11:29 PM
AndrewD, i would try the X-1 Biphase, i think thats a good compromise between feel and softness. I ve never tried the klip or the Yonex, but i heard the Yonex is pretty soft too. I would consider Prince Premier Softflex but for some reasons it feels too springy for me. NXT Tour is decent and so is XCel Premium, except it lose tension really fast.

Redflea, by the time Jonolau get his Mfil 300, we'll start another fan club for a different stick.....

Jonolau You can send the money to Redflea, he accepts credit card and Pay Pal. For $100, we will send you a congratulatory card, a cheap Mfil 300 key chain and most important, an autographed best seller paperback book by Redflea entitled "How to make love to your Mfil 300"

AndrewD
08-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks all. I won't get the chance to try the MFil-300 with different strings unless I go ahead and buy one but it is useful to hear how it plays with different set-ups. I recall trying a racquet a little while ago and marvelling at how much spin it produced and its uncanny control. Had no idea it was strung with BB and that with any other string it becomes a very ordinary frame with low spin and power potential.

Redflea
08-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Redflea, by the time Jonolau get his Mfil 300, we'll start another fan club for a different stick.....

Yeah, I'm already moving on. Been about two weeks, time to find a new stick!

Jonolau You can send the money to Redflea, he accepts credit card and Pay Pal. For $100, we will send you a congratulatory card, a cheap Mfil 300 key chain and most important, an autographed best seller paperback book by Redflea entitled "How to make love to your Mfil 300"

Hey, pal - that's out of line! Our key chains are not cheap! ;)

jonolau
08-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Awww shucks, thanks for the thought, guys. What are mates for, eh? ***as jonolau struggles to pull the knives from his back ...***

Yes, the M-Fil is available in Singapore, but stocks only arrive month's end.

Not too sure what to string it with as I'm also waiting for my supplies to arrive from TW. I've got some Alpha gut, Klip Kicker, Tecnifibre Spinfire, Gosen Polylon SP, Prince Lighting XX and Babolat Super Fine Play coming my way. Choices, choices, choices.

Does the M-Fil300 club membership include string choices of the day? I was quite looking forward to the keychain, hope it doubles up as a vibe dampener.

$100 for membership??? Now, that's what I call exclusive! It'd better include unlimited usage of the jacuzzi and complimentary towels, if not there's going to be a riot.

See you at the club lobby!

fielders_80
08-19-2006, 03:28 AM
Redflea, i meant "exclusively cheap", not just cheap.

Jonolau, the membership does include a set of used string from Redflea. I heard they are now considered collectibles and can fetch a pretty large sum on e*ay. Now you have to provide your own towels.... what do you expect for $100, you el cheapo!!

AndrewD I agree that string plays a very important role on a racquet. I recall how different my 03 Tour feels when i strung it with VS Gut as compared to multi /syn gut.

Marius_Hancu
08-19-2006, 03:47 AM
Several people mentioned in the above the M-fil 300 isn't that comfortable and they might well be right. I think it's a bit harsh outside the sweetspot.

A friend of mine has elbow probs with it. Mind you, even after leading it up a bit. He doesn't have a very good technique though.

I think the M-fil 200 is better in this respect. I have it and don't any probs with it (and I am elbow-sensitive).

But in terms of playability and versatility, the M-fil 300 is definitely great.

jonolau
08-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Well, I personally feel that harshness is good! It is as good as receiving a little shock on every mishit to remind you to focus on good preparation.

As Marius has pointed out, it is usually a concept of poor technique that causes these problems. I can personally vouch for that. After taking a 3 year hiatus from tennis, my timing and strokes were totally out of whack and I got TE from pulling my arm too close to my body on the follow through. One session with a coach solved all that.

fielders_80
08-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Marius, do you play with the heavier Mfil 200(12+oz) or the newer Mfil 2006 (11.5oz)? I thought Mfil 200 is actually less forgiving than the Mfil 300? Hows the power level between the 200 and the 300?

I agree with Marius that Mfil 300 can feel a bit harsh. Its not by any means a demanding racquet. The sweetspot is rather large i think. However, when you hit it off the sweet spot, you will (really) feel the harshness. Especially on the upper part. And i also agree that this is one versatile racquet with great feel.

Redflea
08-19-2006, 08:54 AM
M-Fil 200 2006 sweet spot felt smaller than the M-Fil 300. Also, for me and a friend it swung heavier than it's weight/swing weight would have indicated, which was strange. We may have gotten one that was out of spec...

Don't particularly remember it being a lot different than the 300 in terms of
"normal" off-center mis-hits, but frame/near frame I think it was a bit better than the 200.

AndrewD
08-19-2006, 04:58 PM
jonolau,

The harshness I experienced with the MFil-300 was neither good nor informative. It might have been, in part, a product of the strings but when I hit a slice backhand I'd get good depth and good pace but not the touch which allows you to change direction at the last moment. That isn't a technical issue as feel/touch are independent of technique.

jonolau
08-19-2006, 10:26 PM
jonolau,

The harshness I experienced with the MFil-300 was neither good nor informative. It might have been, in part, a product of the strings but when I hit a slice backhand I'd get good depth and good pace but not the touch which allows you to change direction at the last moment. That isn't a technical issue as feel/touch are independent of technique.
Hi Andrew, Thanks for your feedback. Feel and touch are very important criteria for me, which was why I was with Volkl for a long time. As for strings, I did like the feedback I received from the strings hence my long term association with them. Now that I've got my own stringing machine, I can start to play around more with strings to see what setup is most suitable.

Will post my views once I've received the racquet.

AndrewD
08-20-2006, 12:52 AM
jonolau,

I've been interested in the MFil-300 as a few clubmates and I, after reading several claims made on this board, are running a test this year to have me use a light-weight tweener and see what effect it has on the quality of my game (4.5ish level). Ultimately we decided against the Dunlop as, despite its specs (98sq, 10.9oz, 3pts HL, 61 flex), it seems to fall more into what could be termed the 'players tweener' category. In its place we've substituted a Head i.S2 MP (98sq, 10.2oz, 1pt HL, 70flex).

Played with the Head today and I have to say, I much preferred its feel to the Dunlop. Despite being a much stiffer racquet I didn't find the response as harsh and had much better feel on my slice backhand. Quite a change from my old T10mp Gen2 but I think I'll get the hang of it

I'm sure you'll love the MFil-300 and look forward to your review. Ultimately, I just couldn't get comfortable with the feel but it is a good racquet that suits a range of styles and skill levels.

Marius_Hancu
08-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Marius, do you play with the heavier Mfil 200(12+oz) or the newer Mfil 2006 (11.5oz)? I thought Mfil 200 is actually less forgiving than the Mfil 300? Hows the power level between the 200 and the 300?

I am playing with the heavier (2005) M-fil.

Redflea
08-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Had a very nice hit tonight, a nice way to end the weekend after a very poor performance in a 4.5 doubles match on Saturday. Just played like cr*p. Felt like I was using someone else's feet, if you know what I mean, and I couldn't get into the proper position to hit a shot to save my life. We lost 7-5, 6-3, and were lucky to do that "well." <sigh> I guess one has to have those types of days once in a while to enjoy the good ones sufficiently. :)

On the bright side, by Sunday morning I had my own feet back and was on form. Each day I play w/this racquet I'm liking it more. Played again tonight and I was really finding my range and putting the balls just where I wanted them. Looking forward to a singles match this week with an old nemesis...he doesn't know it yet, but there's an M-Fil smack attack comin'! ;)

fielders_80
08-21-2006, 02:57 AM
Hey Redflea, you still have yours leaded to 11.5 oz? I am trying to put some lead tapes tomorrow to see how it goes.

swampdraggin
08-21-2006, 06:06 AM
What is the difference between the 300 and 200 models? - The price seems quite reasonable.

bluedaisy
08-21-2006, 06:48 AM
jonolau,

may i know which shop do you frequent for dunlop rackets in singapore?

found only the mfil 200 at q-----way which was quite reasonably priced.

another shop at lucky plaza has the mfil 300 but the pricing is such that i don't bother to remember.

blue

fielders_80
08-21-2006, 06:49 AM
The 300 is supposedly lighter, stiffer and more powerful than the 200. But i have never played with the 200.

Redflea
08-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Hey Redflea, you still have yours leaded to 11.5 oz? I am trying to put some lead tapes tomorrow to see how it goes.

Yes...5g split between 3 & 9, 2g in handle, two Yonex Super Grap overgrips, gamma worm dampener, Gamma head tape, weighs in at 11.55, I believe, and about 3-4 pts head light by my rough measurements.

Redflea
08-21-2006, 09:50 AM
The 300 is supposedly lighter, stiffer and more powerful than the 200. But i have never played with the 200.

Per Fielders_80's reply above, Swampdraggin...there are actually three versions of the M-Fil 200 available currently, so you'll have to specify which one you mean. :) All three weigh more than the 300, one has a lower swingweight, one is 27.5 vs. 27, one has a 18/20 pattern, the other two a 16/19, etc. :)

jackson vile
08-21-2006, 10:16 AM
OH no everyone found out about the 200gs and the 300gs:confused:

I better hurry and stock up:mrgreen:

These are great rackets, and the best part is they are perfect for customizing, so as you grow as a player so do they.

My wife is playing with a 13oz 200gxl and it does not feel 13oz at all, she can do all the Federer shots with it, once again leaving me in the dust:rolleyes:

Redflea
08-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Aha!

I had my match tonight. Lost a close first set due to my own screwups...double faulted twice on my serve at 4-5 and didn't hold. :(

Turned it around and was up 4-1 in the second set when I pulled a muscle in my leg and couldn't run/hit properly...held on to win 6-4 and had to retire a couple games into the third set, but had a great result against a guy who normally gives me the run around. :)

jonolau
08-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Aha!

I had my match tonight. Lost a close first set due to my own screwups...double faulted twice on my serve at 4-5 and didn't hold. :(

Turned it around and was up 4-1 in the second set when I pulled a muscle in my leg and couldn't run/hit properly...held on to win 6-4 and had to retire a couple games into the third set, but had a great result against a guy who normally gives me the run around. :)
In other words, are you attributing this great result to the M-Fil 300? ;)

Psychological advantage, perhaps?

fielders_80
08-21-2006, 11:35 PM
It wasnt a psychological advantage, Mfil is just a great stick. So quickly send your $100 cheque to Redflea (so he can buy another racquet and we can start all over again)....

jonolau
08-22-2006, 12:56 AM
It wasnt a psychological advantage, Mfil is just a great stick. So quickly send your $100 cheque to Redflea (so he can buy another racquet and we can start all over again)....
okay, but my little girl won't be too chuffed if i poach a $100 bill from her Monopoly set ... :D

DragonFly
08-22-2006, 12:58 AM
UPDATE ON MFIL 300 Club Subscription:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=115889

feels great with weight.

Redflea
08-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Looks like we lost some posts w/TW's reset of the forum... :(

As noted previously, Jonolau, I attributed my win to ME. :)

Just in posterity's sake...areas M-Fil has helped me over my beloved RDX Mids are 1) Reaction and stretch volleys; 2) Wrist flicks when caught out of position, getting more depth so leaving fewer shorter balls on the court, 3) Getting more power on serve w/out losing my access to placement, and great spin as well, unexpected benefit how easy the transition to the M-Fil was serving, and how well I'm serving with it.

Also, I had noted that one of my M-Fils arrived .3oz lighter than the other...balance was pretty close to spec, however, so when weighted up it felt fine and matched my other M-Fil 300 fine on-court.

This feels so deja-type... ;)

jonolau
08-23-2006, 04:33 PM
G'Day, Mr Flea. I woke up this morning and found chaos on the forum. What have you been up to? Your review on the M-Fil300 must have been earth-shattering ... :D

Redflea
08-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Yes...I blame myself. I'm that important, it must be me!!

And it's still chaotic! I posted above, but IE froze and had to open another window to see what had happened!

Heavens to murgatroyd! TW's software "upgrade" appears to have come w/the requisite glitches... :) Hope they get things sorted out soon...

jonolau
08-23-2006, 04:48 PM
I think it couldn't quite handle the posts on the M-Fil300 club membership, talk about wet t-shirts and Becker's mouldy socks.

BTW, do I still get my free keychain.

Update: I'm still waiting news from the local pro shop on the arrival of my M-fil 300. I will post my review when I've received them.

No pressure at all.

Redflea
08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Didn't you read the fine print?

"Keychain offer subject to revision, rejection, and revokation on a whim." Doesn't look good...I'll keep you posted. (Hint...strong postive posts on how great I hit with the M-Fil might affect your chances.)

I just re-leaded one of mine...I had put the lead on the outside (on the grommet) and one of them came off during a match. I was lopsided, almost fell over when I swung the racquet... ;)

Got another tournament this weekend...am playing one of the top seeds first round! :( Oh well, hopefully a good learning experience.

fielders_80
08-23-2006, 08:16 PM
My my my... is this software upgrade suppose to work backward or something? I have posted several replies and none of them actually showed up??

Jonolau, how much did you pay for your Mfil 300 thru your Singapore distributor?

jonolau
08-24-2006, 03:10 AM
Jonolau, how much did you pay for your Mfil 300 thru your Singapore distributor?
Am I allowed to post information like that here? I think out of respect for TW, I'd better not post it openly.

fielders_80
08-24-2006, 07:09 AM
Hm.. good question. I dunno the answer to do that. But didnt you ask and receive information on the price of Volkl DNX9 in Jakarta from one of the posters here? I recall seeing that somewhere.

jonolau
08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Yes, good point. Fortunately in that case it was cheaper to get it from TW.

fielders_80
08-24-2006, 05:44 PM
I am starting to wonder since some of us have our Mfil 300s leaded to approx 11.5oz, would it actually be better to play with the Mfil 200 2006?

Redflea
08-24-2006, 07:20 PM
I tried both, and I didn't like the 200 2006 as much...I know others have made that comparison and prefer the 200 2006. (I didn't try the 200 Plus 27.5 inch version as I don't like longer racquets, or the 200 2005, as I don't care for 18/20 patterns.)

The 200 2006 spec shows lower swing weight, but it didn't feel that way to me or a friend of mine for some reason. Sweet spot is a bit smaller on the 200, and though the specs show stiffer for the 200, I don't remember it feeling stiffer than the 300, and it was comfortable to hit with.

I had both out at the same time and kept putting the 200 2006 back in my bag and going back to the 300, just felt better and got better results w/the 300. I actually also liked that the 300 wieghed less stock, which allowed me more room to play w/weight/balance, as I wanted my new racquet to top out at about 11.5oz (stock for the 200 2006 is 11.4).

Usual YMMV considerations... :)

Redflea
08-24-2006, 07:29 PM
I posted this to another "300g" thread, but thought it worth mentioning here, as folks looking for M-Fil 300 info may miss it over there...

I wanted to add a comment on the "harsh" comments to put the M-Fil 300's feel in context.

I have a very "sensitive arm" (ohhh, poor me) due to an old shoulder injury that is unfortunately easy to aggravate if I get sloppy on my technique, or have too high tension, stiffness, harshness, etc., in my racquet. I also have occassional elbow issues, driven largely, I believe, by occassional bad technique if I'm trying to compensate for my shoulder when it is bothering me.

That said, I've played a LOT of sets of singles and doubles w/the M-Fil 300 over the past several weeks, and switching to the M-Fil 300 from the Yonex RDX 500 Mid (a very arm-friendly racquet) has not resulted in any arm issues for me at all. In fact, (I think because it takes less effort w/the M-Fil to get the power/depth I want), my arm actually feels slightly better overall.

I'm do feel it more when I frame or very near frame w/the M-Fil, but that feeling hasn't translated into any arm problems at all - more a transitory result that doesn't cause any physical issues. So while you can call the M-Fil 300 harsher than some racquets for those types of uncommon hits, they don't "hurt" and it is very solid and comfortable on "normal" centered and off-centered hits.

moby
08-24-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm thinking of switching from the Htour95 to the Mfil-300 or RDX500-90(98?). Does anyone know how the Htour compares to the two rackets? I have a one hander but slice it almost exclusively.

Oh, Jonolau, where do you demo/get your Dunlop rackets in Singapore?

fielders_80
08-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Redflea, thanks for the inputs. I feel the same way about the Mfil 300. My last stick was the 03 Tour so thats a pretty comfortable and flexible stick. But when i switched to the Mfil 300, i have no problems at all. It has a pretty decent sized sweet spot i think, but outside the sweet spot, it can be rather harsh. But like you said, it has not translated into any problems at all. And overall, Mfil 300 still feels like a good stick.

dave333
08-25-2006, 01:11 PM
whooo gettin my m-fil 300 tomorrow!

Redflea
08-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Uh oh, gotta go make another keychain... :)

jonolau
08-25-2006, 03:11 PM
... from Becker's mouldy socks this time?

My M-fil 300 is still nowhere in sight ...

Redflea
08-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Ick...now that is a bit much. Where are the moderators when you need them?! :)

Sorry to hear about your "M-Fil-lessness." Do you have an ETA?

I have a match tormorrow and though I have plenty of M-Fils, I am still not 100% on my muscle pull. Going to be interesting to see how it goes. I'm hoping he doesn't notice my slight impairment, and start running me relentlessly.

Plus there's the wind, the sun will likely be in my eye, and I'll bet that there will be all kinds of distracting noises on the courts around me.

(Just lining up my excuses. An imporant part of careful match preparation...)

dave333
08-25-2006, 04:28 PM
well, i WOULD go get it today but my mom was like, "no way, i am not driving you all the way there to get a racquet." :( Sucks being 14.

fielders_80
08-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Just print the Dunlop logo and laminate it. And attach it to a rubber band. Call it our "environmentally friendly key chain"

fielders_80
08-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Jonolau, i think you wont be receiving your Mfil 300 any soon. If i am not mistaken all Mfil 300 shipments are being routed to Redflea's garage.....

jonolau
08-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Jonolau, i think you wont be receiving your Mfil 300 any soon. If i am not mistaken all Mfil 300 shipments are being routed to Redflea's garage.....
A raid is in order ....

Redflea
08-25-2006, 09:15 PM
well, i WOULD go get it today but my mom was like, "no way, i am not driving you all the way there to get a racquet." :( Sucks being 14.

Trust me...all ages have their own unique types of suckiness. Try being in your 40's and waiting two weeks to get over a pulled muscle...now THAT sucks!!

Do a few chores for mom w/out her asking and I bet she'll be whisking you out to the store before you know it. :)

Redflea
08-25-2006, 09:17 PM
A raid is in order ....

Note to self: Set garage burglar alarm. :)

fielders_80
08-25-2006, 10:20 PM
You all understand that Jonolau is now under pressure to give a positive review on the Mfil 300? After all, he cant keep the keychain if he doesnt give a glowing report

jonolau
08-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Naw, I've got nothing to lose. But the tennis shop will lose my business if they don't get me my racquet soon ... ;)

dave333
08-26-2006, 01:22 PM
WHOOO I GOT IT!!! Its a thing of beauty. couple questions about customizing it:
how take off that butcap thingy?
how would you put lead tape INSIDE a racquet? i don't want to take off the grip because i am so bad at putting grips on. I also have fishing weights but that is last resort.

Redflea
08-27-2006, 01:41 AM
WHOOO I GOT IT!!! Its a thing of beauty. couple questions about customizing it:
how take off that butcap thingy?
how would you put lead tape INSIDE a racquet? i don't want to take off the grip because i am so bad at putting grips on. I also have fishing weights but that is last resort.

Congrats... :)

There's a smalll slot that you can slip a tiny screwdriver into to pry off the buttcap bottom...should be pretty obviuos when you look at it. There is some room inside there to place lead tape or other weights...ensure you snug it in w/some kleenex or other materials.

No need to take off the grip!

jonolau
08-27-2006, 01:53 AM
You all understand that Jonolau is now under pressure to give a positive review on the Mfil 300? After all, he cant keep the keychain if he doesnt give a glowing report
Hi fielders ... no M-Fil in sight. A-ha! Could it be because it's the weekend? I will chase the shop tomorrow. I will give you a review ... but it's not been a positive start due to the delay. :(

Hang on to that keychain for me!

dave333
08-27-2006, 04:27 AM
cool, thanks redflea. i gonna take it to the courts today and hit w/ it. I'll customize it tomorrow.

fielders_80
08-27-2006, 04:33 AM
Jonolau...we ll keep the keychain and that used underwear "warm" for you.

down_shift
08-27-2006, 06:08 AM
cool, thanks redflea. i gonna take it to the courts today and hit w/ it. I'll customize it tomorrow.

I ordered my 300 friday and I get it tuesday, tell me Dave, how is the M-Fil playing on the court? I'm ready to hit with this racquet! I've been using a old Head Constant Beam Mid Plus, it's a good racquet but no power is behind it at all.

dave333
08-27-2006, 07:36 AM
well, you'll find the m-fil has a hefty amount of power, but not so powerful that you lose lots of control. your head constant beam is probably quite heavy so the m-fil is going to feel very light.
here is my review on my m-fil (stock right now):

forehand:great power and tons of spin. I had a lot more pace and my buddy said it felt a bit heavier. plenty of racquet speed since i spent the last week using an old prostar widebody.

backhand: definitely improved it. I had plenty of down the line back hand winners.

slices: like topspin, there is a lot of backspin on slices Stayed nice and low. Most were about shin height, a few around ankle.

serve:
great power and loads of spin, mediocre to good placement. I couldn't get right on line shots but they were pretty close and consistent.

return of serve:
great return of serve, can easily control the direction and still go fairly deep

volleys:
stable, maneuvrable, and ok for reflex volleys. Only problem is when you frame it. Kind of jarring when that happens.

Overall, there was a huge improvement in my game. I play w/ lead tape to make it heavier as i find it light as a feather almost.

jonolau
08-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Nice feedback, dave333. BTW, what was your racquet prior to getting the M-Fil300?

jonolau
08-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Jonolau...we ll keep the keychain and that used underwear "warm" for you.
Ummm, can I get a refund on the membership?

dave333
08-27-2006, 11:04 AM
well, I was using a hammer 6 for a while but I hated it. So i went on a demo spree, and chose m-fil. Since it took 10 days for it to come, I used the pro star widebody to get used to a smaller head and higher weight. m-fil feels like a feather now

Redflea
08-27-2006, 11:31 AM
well, you'll find the m-fil has a hefty amount of power, but not so powerful that you lose lots of control. your head constant beam is probably quite heavy so the m-fil is going to feel very light.
here is my review on my m-fil (stock right now):

forehand:great power and tons of spin. I had a lot more pace and my buddy said it felt a bit heavier. plenty of racquet speed since i spent the last week using an old prostar widebody.

backhand: definitely improved it. I had plenty of down the line back hand winners.

slices: like topspin, there is a lot of backspin on slices Stayed nice and low. Most were about shin height, a few around ankle.

serve:
great power and loads of spin, mediocre to good placement. I couldn't get right on line shots but they were pretty close and consistent.

return of serve:
great return of serve, can easily control the direction and still go fairly deep

volleys:
stable, maneuvrable, and ok for reflex volleys. Only problem is when you frame it. Kind of jarring when that happens.

Overall, there was a huge improvement in my game. I play w/ lead tape to make it heavier as i find it light as a feather almost.

I'd expect your serve to dial in after you're more used to it, serve can take the longest to adjust to a new racquet.

Reflex volleys are one area where I have gotten much improved results...got a couple in a match yesterday that left myself and my opponent surprised. :)

Start the lead slow, and ensure you test your setups against someone who can push you, so you don't do something that works against weak players, or only for the first set or so. :)

Redflea
08-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Ummm, can I get a refund on the membership?

Now calm down...the membership price is fully refundable if you aren't happy with the benefits.

If you want a refund, simply send Fielders_80 an email requesting your update, and he'll shoot a note to our recording secretary, who will get in contact with our secretary treasurer, who will hook up with our chief officer of disbursements, the comptroller, the controller, and Benny the janitor for approval signatures. Our priority is to ensure an accurate and prompt response to your request.*

*Please allow 4 to 1,300 weeks for delivery.

dave333
08-27-2006, 11:53 AM
lol I play against my dad and he usually beats me (my record at this point is like, 4-20) lol.

I just put 4 3 1/2 inch strips at 3 and 9 and half a fishing weight into each side of handle (my dad hammered it till it was flat then we cut it). It weighs a11.5 but I am going to add just a bit more lead tape at 3 and 9. once i get more lol

dave333
08-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I am loving this setup. Getting amazing head speed is effortless, just comes. i can't tell you the specs except that it is more headlight then the stock and that it is 11.5 onces. 4 3 1/2 inch strips of lead tape at 3 and 9, and about half a fishing weight. My scale only measures onces >_<

fielders_80
08-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Jonolau, the membership is refundable. Note the necessary refund procedure as stated by Redflea. Of course, as you may already know, there is a refund fee. As a token of goodwill, we will set the fee at $95.

fielders_80
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Dave, do you know how much weigh is half a fishing weight? Between my lead tape on the hoop and inside the handle, my mfil 300 is still about 5pts headlight which i assume its almost the same as stock form. So you probably put more in the handle? I put 7gram i think.

Redflea
08-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Egads...I am an old man. Pulled a muscle in my leg on Monday, didn't play again until a light 1/2 hour hit Friday. Had a tournament match Saturday and couldn't really play after the first five or so games...lost 6-3, 6-1, and it wasn't even that close. My leg started hurting and I couldn't get low for slices, couldn't get up to hit my serve, and couldn't move side to side or back/forwards worth a damn...looks like I'm going to have to lay off for maybe a couple weeks or so to get myself healed up properly...

Wasn't someone complaining about how hard it is to be young? BRING IT ON, DUDE!! Gimme some of those tough years, I want them back!! :)

Tottering off to have some nice oatmeal and watch reruns of the Lawrence Welk show...

jonolau
08-27-2006, 10:18 PM
One other way to add weight to the handle via the butt trap door is to use Blutack (http://www.blutack.com/home.htm). It adds a nice amount of weight, does not move around when pressed into place, and can easily be removed. I used that with my previous Head Flexpoint Radical Tour. It will move around when you use cotton wool to cushion the lead fishing weights as the cotton wool could eventually be compressed.

jonolau
08-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Egads...I am an old man. Pulled a muscle in my leg on Monday, didn't play again until a light 1/2 hour hit Friday. Had a tournament match Saturday and couldn't really play after the first five or so games...lost 6-3, 6-1, and it wasn't even that close. My leg started hurting and I couldn't get low for slices, couldn't get up to hit my serve, and couldn't move side to side or back/forwards worth a damn...looks like I'm going to have to lay off for maybe a couple weeks or so to get myself healed up properly...

Wasn't someone complaining about how hard it is to be young? BRING IT ON, DUDE!! Gimme some of those tough years, I want them back!! :)

Tottering off to have some nice oatmeal and watch reruns of the Lawrence Welk show...
Hope you're feeling better. Good idea to take a break. Anyway, it's an opportune moment to sit in front of the telly as the US Open begins this week!

Rest well.

FitzRoy
08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm considering both the M-Fil 300 and the HM 200g XL. Have any of you guys who've recently switched to M-Fils ever tried the 200g XL? If so, how would you say the two compare with one another?

jonolau
08-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Dave, do you know how much weigh is half a fishing weight? Between my lead tape on the hoop and inside the handle, my mfil 300 is still about 5pts headlight which i assume its almost the same as stock form. So you probably put more in the handle? I put 7gram i think.
Fielders, if I can just step in here. It depends on what size fishing weight you start out with. In my customization, I used a 20gm weight, cut into 2 pieces and hammered to the right shape so that it slot into place in the handle chamber and anchored it with a bit of Blutack. It was a bit of a tedious and noisy process to hammer it to shape.

Subsequently I went the full Blutack way and it worked even better as I didn't have to worry about the weight moving about.

fielders_80
08-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Look at it from the brighter side, you have more time to think about various other ways to customize your Mfil 300s.

jonolau
08-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Look at it from the brighter side, you have more time to think about various other ways to customize your Mfil 300s.
He also has more time to make some more keychains to fulfill the growing demand.

fielders_80
08-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Jonolau, thanks for the blutack idea. Now if only i can find it in Indonesia....

jonolau
08-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Most major stationery shops will sell it.

dave333
08-28-2006, 04:28 AM
redflea, I'll trade you 2-3 years so I can drive :) Oh and I won't have to compete w/ the other 5 asians who are going to algebra 2 their freshmen year >_< Maybe more so I can be even taller. lol, I'm a late bloomer. I just started in puberty and i'll be 15 soon

Hmm, well I know taht I had 2 medium sized fishing weights and a big one. together, they weigh 3.5 onces. I think I will assume the mediums are 1 once. When I cut it, it was actually more like 5/12s or something so a bit less than .5 onces.

Hey, would playdough or sillyputty work :)

Mark S. Hogan
08-28-2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the tip Jonolau. I have trouble keeping those weights in place.

Redflea
08-28-2006, 07:05 AM
What else worked well for me for adding weight in the handle, is that I folded a couple strips of lead tape in half, and in half again, leaving it a bit open (like a "V"). Then I inserted it so that the two "wings" of the V go down either side of of the inside of the handle. Tamp down a couple wads of tightly balled kleenex on each side to hold it in place, snap the butt capp thingy back on, and tight as a drum.

As noted, I'll have plenty of time to futz w/my customizations while watching the Open and laying around healing for the next couple of weeks. :)

Davee...2 or 3 years? C'mon, man, I was hoping to give you 20 or 30! ;)

jonolau
08-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey, would playdough or sillyputty work :)
Hi Dave, playdough is a BIG NO NO. Too soft and you may not be able to remove the residue. I can't remember what is the hardness of sillyputty. If you tell me which country you're staying in, I will find out what is similar to Blutack.

dave333
08-28-2006, 03:59 PM
lol i was just jk. I could easily find blutac here in zaire (actually USA shhh).
i simply asked that because I have SO MUCH from when I was a kid. I mean, i have piles of it in my basement. About 3% of what a blue whale poops out every day.

jonolau
08-28-2006, 04:54 PM
lol i was just jk. I could easily find blutac here in zaire (actually USA shhh).
i simply asked that because I have SO MUCH from when I was a kid. I mean, i have piles of it in my basement. About 3% of what a blue whale poops out every day.
Ha ha! :D I'd be worried going into your basement as you don't know what could be lurking there ...

Redflea
08-28-2006, 05:27 PM
We need to be careful here, jonolau. There may be folks "play doughing-up" their racquets, and we don't want them to feel bad... :)

I still think putting play dough, silly putty, or blutac into your grip isn't as simple and as easy to do or remove/modify as some folded lead strips. Plus, what if it gets really hot, and you have blutac running out of your grip all over your cool new $90 tennis shoes!? ;)

jonolau
08-28-2006, 05:33 PM
We need to be careful here, jonolau. There may be folks "play doughing-up" their racquets, and we don't want them to feel bad... :)

I still think putting play dough, silly putty, or blutac into your grip isn't as simple and as easy to do or remove/modify as some folded lead strips. Plus, what if it gets really hot, and you have blutac running out of your grip all over your cool new $90 tennis shoes!? ;)
I understand your consideration, Mr Flea. I live in the tropics and the temperature is thermostat is permanently set at 32 dec C. Blutack is excellent and does not soften with ambient heat, but only softens up with physical shear forces (ie. kneading, rolling). Therefore, it has been a very overlooked alternative to adding lead. I've tried lead tape and weights with double sided tape in the handle, but it can get dislodged sometimes and move about.

Blutack has stood up to the test of time. It has a natural adhesive property, and can be moulded to uneven contours. Give it a shot!

Redflea
08-28-2006, 05:42 PM
I understand your consideration, Mr Flea. I live in the tropics and the temperature is thermostat is permanently set at 32 dec C. Blutack is excellent and does not soften with ambient heat, but only softens up with physical shear forces (ie. kneading, rolling). Therefore, it has been a very overlooked alternative to adding lead. I've tried lead tape and weights with double sided tape in the handle, but it can get dislodged sometimes and move about.

Blutack has stood up to the test of time. It has a natural adhesive property, and can be moulded to uneven contours. Give it a shot!

OK, OK, I'll join the Blutack club! But I expect a keychain in return, and all the other member privileges... ;)

So what the heck is it really for?

jonolau
08-28-2006, 05:46 PM
It is used as a gasket seal, concrete filler, temporary Shoe-Goo, patching up cracked beer mugs etc. Just kidding ;)

It is really used for mounting items on the wall such as posters, pictures etc. and can be easily removed without leaving any residue, and can be reused. Check out their website (http://www.blutack.com/home.htm) for more information on the uses of Blutack.

fielders_80
08-28-2006, 08:14 PM
You can even eat them as snacks....... Can come in handy when you are playing one of those long matches and you feel a bit weak. Just pop out your butt cap and swallow some of them bluetack. Instant energy boost...

dave333
08-29-2006, 03:51 AM
You can even eat them as snacks....... Can come in handy when you are playing one of those long matches and you feel a bit weak. Just pop out your butt cap and swallow some of them bluetack. Instant energy boost...

lol, bet it packs LOADS of potassium and natural banana extracts.

hmmm, my m-fil setup is great for my forehand; amazing control and power. Plenty of spin on serve, reflex volleys. The one prob is the 2 hand backhand. i have so much racquet speed, it feels really awkward. I tried a 1 hand backhand and it felt much more natural. Should i start learning a 1hb?

down_shift
08-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Just got my m-fil 300 from TW and man this is a sweet racquet! I bought some over grip for it because the stock grip looks like a candy cane. I can't wait to play tomorrow and see how it compares to my Head Constant Beam!

Redflea
08-29-2006, 02:52 PM
lol, bet it packs LOADS of potassium and natural banana extracts.

hmmm, my m-fil setup is great for my forehand; amazing control and power. Plenty of spin on serve, reflex volleys. The one prob is the 2 hand backhand. i have so much racquet speed, it feels really awkward. I tried a 1 hand backhand and it felt much more natural. Should i start learning a 1hb?

I think any two-hander should learn a one-handed slice for variety and defensive options...my sons have both learned OH slices, and my younger son is also learning a top-spin one-handed (because he can - he's looking like a pretty talented player if he can manage his "head" properly).

So I would definitely add a OHBH slice to your arsenal, but keep working on your two-handed...could just need a bit more time to get it so it feels right again, and you might decide after a while to adjust the weight a bit more...

Redflea
08-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Just got my m-fil 300 from TW and man this is a sweet racquet! I bought some over grip for it because the stock grip looks like a candy cane. I can't wait to play tomorrow and see how it compares to my Head Constant Beam!

Congrats! A new toy is a wonderful thing...hope you enjoy it.

I know what you mean about the grip...it's a bit of an eye-shock.... ;)

Dunlopkid
08-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Hopefully Dunlop's new models won't feature the candy cane. What were they thinking?

down_shift
08-29-2006, 05:41 PM

Thanks man, I know that grip is just, kind of out there lol. I get to play tomorrow morning, the racquet feels really good though and I'll let y'all know how I like it compared to my Head racquet!

dave333
08-29-2006, 06:17 PM
yeah, i already have a 1hb slice. I just don't have the topspin 1bh. I can't do a 2hb slice w/ any racquet. well, it turned out just to be a timing problem w/ the racquet speed. It was much nicer today but my 1bh was ok too.

jonolau
08-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Looks like my wait for the M-Fil 300 will be longer. Apparently there are no stocks islandwide ...

Mark S. Hogan
08-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Dave, most of us recreational players with one handed backhands use slice mostly, especially under pressure. I think good one handed backhand topspin players are fairly rare. But we always try. :)

Redflea
08-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Bummer, Jonolau...might be faster if you made one yourself.

fielders_80
08-29-2006, 07:11 PM
I cant even hit 2 handed backhands even if i want to. Was taught to hit one hander since i was 8 and switching to 2 handed BH seems very unnatural to me.

fielders_80
08-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah jonolau, redflea has a point. You might want to consider making one yourself. We can help. I can always email you the actual dimensions. Maybe use your blutack and mix it with cement?

Tikiman53
08-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Man, you guys are making me want to get a M-fil 300 too! :). My parents would kill me if I asked for another racquet, even if I tried to do extra work around the house for it. Whenever I try to get something big and expensive, I get this long lecture and sometimes it's just not worth the trouble. Then again, Racquet Doctor has it for at least 10 dollars less than the TW price... I think it was 79.**. I just got a RDS 003 a few weeks ago but I'm starting to wish I got something else. It's really powerful, and I can't get much spin with it. It's sluggish too, so not much headspeed. Plus, my slice serves don't have much slice... Goodness! What possessed me to choose this racquet?

How does the M-fil 300 compare with the RQS-11?

jonolau
08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
I sell carbon fibre matting to auto part OEMs and they are complaining of a shortage of raw materials. Apparently the global short is caused by backlog orders for the Airbus A380 ...

Looks like I will have to resort to Blutack and perhaps some epoxy resin with my kids' glitter ... I'm sure my daighter won't complain if I make one for her too. ;)

dave333
08-30-2006, 04:53 AM
yea, people have these things about making people want to get racquets. I was goaded into demoing all the prostaffs, and the n6.1s.

know how you feel tikiman, I always go through that. you might want to trade some of your years to redflea, thats what i am doing.

Semaj
08-30-2006, 05:19 AM
What have you guys leaded you 300's up to? Mine are 11.41oz (323.3g) The only lead that was added was put int he throat (simply to math and not to change balance)

down_shift
08-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Well I finally got to use this racquet today. It felt pretty good, really similar to my Head Constant beam, the head sizes were about the same. I like it but it didn't have enough power for me, maybe because I used nrg2 16 string@60 tension. It's a really good racquet, I think once the tension goes down a little that I'll like it more. I just felt like my 2hbh was really weak, it went in the service box a lot instead of going near the baseline. Serve is about the same as the head, volley is a little better. Overall though, a good solid racquet.

Redflea
08-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Well I finally got to use this racquet today. It felt pretty good, really similar to my Head Constant beam, the head sizes were about the same. I like it but it didn't have enough power for me, maybe because I used nrg2 16 string@60 tension. It's a really good racquet, I think once the tension goes down a little that I'll like it more. I just felt like my 2hbh was really weak, it went in the service box a lot instead of going near the baseline. Serve is about the same as the head, volley is a little better. Overall though, a good solid racquet.

The 300 is not a really powerful racquet when strung at mid-point, which is how I prefer it overall. I may experiment with it at 58 to compare. In addition to a lower tension, a higher gauge string (e.g., 17) will bring you more bang if you want it. As long as you're not a big string breaker you might want to try that as well.

You likely also need a little time to adjust to the new stick, with its different weight/balance from your old one...timing issues can affect power also.

Redflea
08-30-2006, 08:36 AM
know how you feel tikiman, I always go through that. you might want to trade some of your years to redflea, thats what i am doing.

Ahem...I mailed you the copy of my driver's license. Now, where are my age reduction pills, dude!? ;)

Redflea
08-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Man, you guys are making me want to get a M-fil 300 too! :). My parents would kill me if I asked for another racquet, even if I tried to do extra work around the house for it. Whenever I try to get something big and expensive, I get this long lecture and sometimes it's just not worth the trouble. Then again, Racquet Doctor has it for at least 10 dollars less than the TW price... I think it was 79.**. I just got a RDS 003 a few weeks ago but I'm starting to wish I got something else. It's really powerful, and I can't get much spin with it. It's sluggish too, so not much headspeed. Plus, my slice serves don't have much slice... Goodness! What possessed me to choose this racquet?

How does the M-fil 300 compare with the RQS-11?

If you really wanted to switch, the RDS should sell used for more than the M-Fil 300 would cost you...just a thought.

I haven't hit w/the RQS-11, so can't compare the two.

Redflea
08-30-2006, 08:46 AM
I cant even hit 2 handed backhands even if i want to. Was taught to hit one hander since i was 8 and switching to 2 handed BH seems very unnatural to me.

Same here, though I am known to hit the occassional two handed BH volley when I get jammed at the net. :)

People typically tell me that that I have very "pretty" strokes (that's pretty in a very masculine way, of course), especially my backhand. I have to admit that I'm vain enough to enjoy my OHBH as much for what it does, as how it looks. ;) Two-handers just never look as good to me. Love watching Henin-Hardenne, Fed, and others of that ilk. Did you see Andre A. vs. Andre P. at the open? Man, that guy was ON with his OHBH for that match...just bee-yoo-tee-ful.

boat2015
08-30-2006, 12:43 PM
50 years old. like to serve and volley. Am I too old for this string? Anyways, switching from a 300-G to the M-Fil 300. 300-G is more flexible, better feel better control. M-Fil3 has more power, significantly stiffer. M-Fil3 seems heavier, but it's not supposed to be, right? Out of the blue, played with the Babolat Roddick racquet and loved it (huge power). Totally confused between these three racquets.

guedoguedo
08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Just got the demo today! Hit serves only with it so far. Very nice on flat serves, i can really hit some stingers. They feel heavy even though the racket is light. Maybe it is because it is close to even balance??

Spin is pretty solid, but not a heavy spin from what i could tell. It felt nice though. Most every racket has an adjustment for serving and it definitely had potential. I am hitting with it later today so i cant wait to see how it is on groundies and net.

BTW i also demoed 03 tour MP and i thought it had better control, spin, and ease of getting it in, over the dunlop. But the dunlop won easily on pace and flat serves. It also felt a little more solid when hitting it. I can see what people talk about when they say the 03 feedback is distant....

fielders_80
08-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Guedo, i was playing the 03 Tour MP for a year. I actually like that racquet. It is a great baseline racquet once you get used to the dampened feel. However, for some reasons, i found my Mfil 300 to be much better overall stick. Its not as good on the baseline as the 03 Tour MP but then the Mfil 300 is better on the net (especially reflex volleys), serving, overhead, etc. So overall, it is a much better racquet for me. The Mfil 300 has pretty decent top spin as well once you get used to it. Everytime i hit with a different racquet, there is always a period of adjustment in terms of getting the right angle/feel etc. I know a lot of people say that when it comes to serving, but for me, even baseline shots require some sort of adjustments. Which is why i usually spend a few days in a row when i test a new stick (without switching around).

fielders_80
08-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Boat, i have never played with the 300G. But i used to own both the PD and APD. Both are great racquets for baseline basher. I love how they feel from the baseline. However i gave up on them because they are too damn stiff for my liking. Maybe you might want to give it a try for a few more days to see how it feels?

50 years old. like to serve and volley. Am I too old for this string? Anyways, switching from a 300-G to the M-Fil 300. 300-G is more flexible, better feel better control. M-Fil3 has more power, significantly stiffer. M-Fil3 seems heavier, but it's not supposed to be, right? Out of the blue, played with the Babolat Roddick racquet and loved it (huge power). Totally confused between these three racquets.

guedoguedo
08-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Fielders, i agree with everything you said...

I played 3 sets with it and find it very similar to the fxp radical tour, in that it has some stability/heft to it (its light but doesnt feel that light). THey are both very good all around rackets i have found, with neither having a big weakness.

Back to the 300...On serves it was great, very impressed. Hit the majority of my flat serves in and could really smoke it. I had one ace against a good player, dont get too many aces...The spin serve is very realiable, and it got better as the match went on. Also found i could hit topspin very well. Just a very versatile racket for serving.

Groundstrokes, liked it on the forehand, so so on the backhand. But to make up for that, my backhand slice was just great. I could hit a beautiful chip and charge or down the line slice. Forehand was nice, had some spin but not a ton, but could hit it hard. Also punching back tough serve was a piece of cake due to the stability.

Net play was great in the little time that i used it. You could really hit a volley that had some serious punch. Really liked it there. Found it nice for touch shots also.

I see why mauresmo and other pro's use it, terrific all around racket. And only $99 !!

I think i like the rad tour a little bit more only because my 2hbh is so much better with that racket (and only that racket, unfortunately). I would say otherwise the head fh and topspin are better, but dunlop volleys and serves (versatility) are slightly better. But both very similar rackets, in case anyone was interested in a comparison!

TLM_01
08-30-2006, 09:01 PM
So do all of you with m-fil 300's hit one handed backhands? I had to learn a one handed backhand after getting my first m-fil. And I have to say that I love hitting backhands with the m-fill 300.
BTW: I have my two m-fil 300's leaded up to about 11.8 ounces including wilson leather grips.....I added counterweighting under the grip because I liked the balance.....

guedoguedo
08-30-2006, 09:09 PM
TLM can u tell me where you put the lead,i want to try it out

TLM_01
08-30-2006, 09:46 PM
On the insides of the hoop at 3' and 9' o' clock, about 2 layers worth.....I also added the same amount wrapped around the pallet under the grip....

fielders_80
08-30-2006, 11:32 PM
TLM, i can only hit 1HBH. But one thing that i can tell in terms of bh with Mfil 300 is for some reasons it can slice much better than my 03 Tour MP. Very low and deep.

boat2015
08-31-2006, 07:56 AM
Actually, in a doubles game out of desperation I decided to go for a big one-handed backhand return with the M-Fil 300 on the deuce court. Nailed it so hard that the net guy had no time to move and the ball hit him where he least wanted it to hit. Piroutte death spiral ensued with a 20-minute break in the action. Never done that with another racquet.

jonolau
08-31-2006, 07:57 AM
This racquet is getting really notorious ...

dave333
08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
i use 2bh w/ my dunlop m-fil 300

Tikiman53
08-31-2006, 11:52 AM
You guys are making me jealous :(. Of course, I still like my RDS 003, but it's a bit sluggish. Darn it, you guys are evil! :)

DragonFly
09-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Let's all stick "M-Fil 300 Club" in our sigs, haha.

or not, might kill the thread.

Mark S. Hogan
09-01-2006, 03:10 PM
That's crazy! :)

300Gkid
09-01-2006, 03:13 PM
it is getting popular, i was gonna demo it but the waiting list is crazy

DragonFly
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
hahaha.... i added 3 grams to 12 on my racquet, and it's a little easier to swing, and an increase of power in noticeable.

Redflea
09-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Going nuts in a hurry here...no tennis playing due to my injury, watching just GOBS of US Open tennis, which always makes me want to play even more than usuall...this is just NOT FUN!! :(

Sitting here w/my M-Fil in my hand, swatting at imaginary volleys from the couch while watching Blake (in tribute Agassi shirt and pirate bandanna!) swat 'em back and forth with an opponent...oops, there goes the lamp, good thing my wife's already asleep... ;)

fielders_80
09-02-2006, 03:53 AM
At least you can see the game, over here they dont even show it at all. Instead they were showing some Asian pool tour thingy. Boring piece of crap.

Redflea
09-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Ouch! No US Open at all? I thought tennis was very popular in Asia (assuming that's where you are based on the pool match they showed). I'm surprised, I assumed wall-to-wall coverage of the majors...

fielders_80
09-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Usually they would show them on ESPN (like Wimbledon etc), but for some reasons cable TV here doesnt show the US Open. Instead they are showing the Asian X Games right now...... sigh....

TLM_01
09-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Let's all stick "M-Fil 300 Club" in our sigs, haha.

or not, might kill the thread.
No....its a good idea....I think.....

BTW: I love slicing with the M-fil 300 too....
Hmmmmm.....We need to find a nickname for the M-fil 300....I'm getting tired of typing out M-fil 300 in every post.....

jonolau
09-02-2006, 10:59 PM
No....its a good idea....I think.....

BTW: I love slicing with the M-fil 300 too....
Hmmmmm.....We need to find a nickname for the M-fil 300....I'm getting tired of typing out M-fil 300 in every post.....
Will MF3 suffice?

jonolau
09-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Ouch! No US Open at all? I thought tennis was very popular in Asia (assuming that's where you are based on the pool match they showed). I'm surprised, I assumed wall-to-wall coverage of the majors...
I'm getting full coverage over here on Super Sports. Tennis is big, but not huge. It is somehow still perceived as an elitist sport, just like golf. Just my personal observation.

Semaj
09-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Im using a 2 handed backhand but I am considderign changeing. Also I can also slice really well with the racket, the problem is its so good for slice that I do it way too much

DragonFly
09-03-2006, 03:06 AM
MF3 sounds awesome.

I'm gonna make a keychain, simple design you can double laminate, haha.

jonolau
09-03-2006, 03:55 AM
MF3 sounds awesome.

I'm gonna make a keychain, simple design you can double laminate, haha.
I've got the laminator switched on, heated up and ready to go ...

Semaj
09-03-2006, 04:36 AM
I'll make some t-shirts

dave333
09-03-2006, 04:42 AM
lol we should make some of those livestrong like armbands and label them MF3

fielders_80
09-03-2006, 06:40 AM
yeah....MF3. Sounds pretty good. Jonolau, start cranking up the laminating machine. Keychain starts at US$50 each (we can say they re limited editions).

jonolau
09-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Great. Who's in charge of entertainment?

Dunlopkid
09-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Let's get an M-fil 200 club going!:mrgreen:

Mark S. Hogan
09-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Watch yourself here. :)

Semaj
09-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Does anyone think the m f 30 will be replaced. Now with all the talk that dunlop has gone bust. I was told that is not the case, but everyone else seems to think it is

300Gkid
09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
i assume it will as Dunlop is supposed to come out with a new series around Nov. i think

fielders_80
09-04-2006, 06:17 PM
and then its time for us to switch to the new stick and change the name of the mfil club.....

goober
09-04-2006, 06:38 PM
this is no longer a club and is becoming a cult. :)

Round of kool aid for everyone

DragonFly
09-04-2006, 10:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/fierycold/mfil.gif

jonolau
09-04-2006, 10:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/fierycold/mfil.gif
Nice. I will laminate it. Processing fee for membership card is US$5.

Redflea
09-04-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm a little concerned about the racquet looking like it's coming out of, ah, well, it has this kind of phal...hmmm...maybe it's just me. Never mind... ;)

jonolau
09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm a little concerned about the racquet looking like it's coming out of, ah, well, it has this kind of phal...hmmm...maybe it's just me. Never mind... ;)
Hmm ... maybe it's a Freudian slip ... ;)

DragonFly
09-04-2006, 11:30 PM

fine, i changed it.

Semaj
09-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Im gunna get onto dunlop and ask them about a new range- I will post back here with details

Dunlopkid
09-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Im gunna get onto dunlop and ask them about a new range- I will post back here with details

Thanks in advance.

fielders_80
09-05-2006, 07:23 AM
US$5 ??? Where is our profit?

Nice. I will laminate it. Processing fee for membership card is US$5.

Craig Carter
09-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Hello members of the mf3 club! I am in the initial stages of trying out some lighter frames, and my specs would be quite similar to the mf300. I hope to demo one soon. Just a quick question (and I apologize if my info is wrong or if this was already discussed) - how is Dunlop Tennis doing? I have heard from several tennis sources that they were purchased by a holding company a year or two ago and basically got rid of their R&D division. Also that the current owner has a history of buying companies for their name recognition and then discounting the pricing and selling the products at an inferior quality level (Puma maybe?). Don't get me wrong as I have always loved Dunlop and played with the 200 series for years; but I am just wondering about the company and whether they will be around in the future with the quality of product that they have established so well. Either way, a great frame is a great frame and I hope to hit with one soon. Thanks

fielders_80
09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Hi Craig....welcome to the club. Kindly send your $100 membership fee to Redflea so we can process your membership. During this promotional month, we will also include a lifetime membership for the Hair Club for Men where Redflea is not only the President, but also a member.

Regarding your Dunlop Tennis question, thats what i heard too. If thats really true, then its too bad. Dunlop made some quality sticks over the years, and it will be a shame to see them going for the discount racquets. Anybody else heard anything else about this?

Craig Carter
09-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi Craig....welcome to the club. Kindly send your $100 membership fee to Redflea so we can process your membership. During this promotional month, we will also include a lifetime membership for the Hair Club for Men where Redflea is not only the President, but also a member.

Regarding your Dunlop Tennis question, thats what i heard too. If thats really true, then its too bad. Dunlop made some quality sticks over the years, and it will be a shame to see them going for the discount racquets. Anybody else heard anything else about this?

LOL. Wow, you throw in the Hair Club membership and its a done deal!!! How can anyone pass that up...especially being led by the Hair Club President & Member - Redflea :) BTW, this is a great thread - I wish they were all this enjoyable.

jonolau
09-05-2006, 08:37 AM
US$5 ??? Where is our profit?
This is just a peripheral fee for processing the card. It does not include monthly subscription fees, payment of club car, secretarial fees, F&B sign up vouchers, sinking fund etc.

Redflea
09-05-2006, 09:51 AM
fine, i changed it.

:) Maybe we should have both versions available, depending on the member's, ah, sensitivity to certain images. :)

Are you going to post the updated version?

Redflea
09-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Hello members of the mf3 club! I am in the initial stages of trying out some lighter frames, and my specs would be quite similar to the mf300. I hope to demo one soon. Just a quick question (and I apologize if my info is wrong or if this was already discussed) - how is Dunlop Tennis doing? I have heard from several tennis sources that they were purchased by a holding company a year or two ago and basically got rid of their R&D division. Also that the current owner has a history of buying companies for their name recognition and then discounting the pricing and selling the products at an inferior quality level (Puma maybe?). Don't get me wrong as I have always loved Dunlop and played with the 200 series for years; but I am just wondering about the company and whether they will be around in the future with the quality of product that they have established so well. Either way, a great frame is a great frame and I hope to hit with one soon. Thanks

I had heard that as well, but someone posted that Dunlop is in fact releasing some new racquets later this year/early next year that won't be "big-box" versions.

I can't find it now and don't really have time to look for it, but they were pretty emphatic that Dunlop was alive and well and would continue to release new "players" frames as in the past.

Redflea
09-05-2006, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=fielders_80]Hi Craig....welcome to the club. Kindly send your $100 membership fee to Redflea so we can process your membership. During this promotional month, we will also include a lifetime membership for the Hair Club for Men where Redflea is not only the President, but also a member.QUOTE]

Ouch...the truth hurts, ya know? :)

As I tell my kids, I'm not losing my hair, they are relieving me of it.... ;)

Mark S. Hogan
09-05-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm working on our pledge. Your input is welcome. :)

I promise to help the 300 M-Fil club and its members to the best of my ability; to encourage, guide, and protect them in all tennis related activities; and to show them by my example what a 300 M-Fil member is.

I will strive to be prompt and dependable, and to cooperate with the leaders in carrying out the membership program.

As each player purchases a 300 M-Fil, I will encourage them to join a our club.

I will be kind and considerate of all non-members as if everyone had one, we would lose our edge on the masses.

DragonFly
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
:) Maybe we should have both versions available, depending on the member's, ah, sensitivity to certain images. :)

Are you going to post the updated version?

RF, its been posted ever since I said I did. look back to m post.

300Gkid
09-05-2006, 05:00 PM
i'm very interested in the M-fil 300. And since no one answered my question in my other thread. I figured this was the logical place to come. Anyway (from my post/poll)

I see the overwhelming response is for the M-fil. My only worry about that it wont provide enough power or stability (that its too much like my 300G), also my 300G is a bit harsh on off-center hits, has this been fixed on the m-fil?[/B

This is what i was looking for, do u think the M-fil 300 is a good fit. My only other option (unless prices change) is the LM Instinct.

coming from the 300G i want more power (so i can get decent pace without killing myself) bigger sweetspot (so i dont have to hit it perfect to get it over) more stability (so i dont get pushed around at net, must be rock solid) but want it to make my game better but still help me improve (dont want a "cheat stick). Something in the 10.5-11.5 range, i havent had arm problems in the past except for one thing with the wrist so stiffness shouldnt be an issue. However, I'm only 14 and 100 lbs and have below average upper body strength.

dave333
09-05-2006, 06:00 PM
ur 14 and only 100 lbs? how tall are you? Man, thats tinny. Every1 on my tennis team is at least 115 lbs. yeah, we could cause another valentines day massacre w/ our guns :)

you could probably play the m-fil stock, feels really light. I would suggest you hit the gym more often as well.

fielders_80
09-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Mark, you forgot the Hair Club for Men thingy.

I'm working on our pledge. Your input is welcome. :)

I promise to help the 300 M-Fil club and its members to the best of my ability; to encourage, guide, and protect them in all tennis related activities; and to show them by my example what a 300 M-Fil member is.

I will strive to be prompt and dependable, and to cooperate with the leaders in carrying out the membership program.

As each player purchases a 300 M-Fil, I will encourage them to join a our club.

I will be kind and considerate of all non-members as if everyone had one, we would lose our edge on the masses.

fielders_80
09-05-2006, 07:27 PM
300G Kid,

The Mfil300 packs enough power. If you worry about not having enough power, you can string it lower. At 55 lbs and with natural gut, i would say it packs as much power as my 03 White. Definitely more power on serves.

The MF3 is still a bit harsh on off center shots. But the sweetspot is rather big and i have no problem finding the sweet spot. There are not too many off center shots with this frame (at least to me). Maybe the others can give their inputs as well. I have never played with the 300G, but i think some of us played with that.

In terms of stability, thats where the lead comes to play. Mine is leaded to close to 11.5oz and it feels so much better.

Redflea
09-05-2006, 08:08 PM
For me the 300g was much more harsh than the M-Fil 300...it has been almost 2 years since I hit w/the 300g, but I ended up almost buying one, but didn't due to the harshness that I felt with it.

The M-Fil is harsher than some other racquets at the frame or very near it, other hits are fine, sweetspot shots are excellent.

Redflea
09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
RF, its been posted ever since I said I did. look back to m post.

Thanks...yeah, I did when I posted that, and refreshed the page, but it still wasn't coming up for some reason. Saw it just now, and it looks great. :)

I'm going to print one out at home and make a tag out of it to put on my gear bag...bet I'm the first one in my neighborhood!! :D

Thanks for making it.

Redflea
09-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Injury update!

Spent weekend on too many honey-do's, and added back strain to existing groin and quad pulls...dropped out of an up-coming tournament to give me enough time to heal completely before going out on the court to get my next set of injuries.

I expect to be back on the court in, oh, about 6 or 7 months if things continue the way they have been... :(

fielders_80
09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
wow...didnt expect your injury to be that bad. Sorry to hear that.......but at least more time to keep track of our book keeping and make sure everyone here pays the membership fee.

jonolau
09-05-2006, 10:29 PM
jonolau,

may i know which shop do you frequent for dunlop rackets in singapore?

found only the mfil 200 at q-----way which was quite reasonably priced.

another shop at lucky plaza has the mfil 300 but the pricing is such that i don't bother to remember.

blue
Hi bluedaisy,

Sorry didn't read your post earlier.

I've looked around and found the M-Fil 300 at Lai Sports (Lucky Plaza) and Sports Report (OUB Centre). I'm not aware of any shops in Queensway selling them. However, prices in Singapore are not that cheap, and have ordered 2 from TW which will only ship out on 14 Sep due to backorders.

Hope this helps.

Jon

jonolau
09-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Injury update!

Spent weekend on too many honey-do's, and added back strain to existing groin and quad pulls...dropped out of an up-coming tournament to give me enough time to heal completely before going out on the court to get my next set of injuries.

I expect to be back on the court in, oh, about 6 or 7 months if things continue the way they have been... :(
Sorry to hear the injury's that bad. I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you.

Let's keep track of membership nos.

Redflea: 301
fielders_80: 302
jonolau: 303
DragonFly: 304
Mark S. Hogan: 305
300GKid: 306
Semaj: 307
TLM_01: 308
dave333: 309
boat2015: 310
down_shift: 311

Feel free to build up on the list as we go along ...

tschevap
09-06-2006, 02:18 AM
hmmm...somewhat weird thread here...but, wanted to let you know, that i bought 3 MFil 300 rackets these days, too...very affordable here in Europe - 65Euros per racket...about 83$...great deal!

Nice racket, well balanced, stable, good spin, control, touch, quite ok for the arm! I am looking forward to play some more matches with it and to experiment with strings and lead...

I am a little afraid, that the buttcap comes loose again... i experienced this on the MFil 200 rackets before...three times...
did anyone of you have this problem already?

jonolau
09-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Redflea: 301
fielders_80: 302
jonolau: 303
DragonFly: 304
Mark S. Hogan: 305
300GKid: 306
Semaj: 307
TLM_01: 308
dave333: 309
boat2015: 310
down_shift: 311
tschevap: 312

boat2015
09-06-2006, 05:26 AM
Yes! You let me in the club. Tough hazing though. Thanks. 300G vs M-Fil 300: the M-fil is significantly stiffer so you lose control but get power. The M-fil weight is more evenly distributed so the groundies get stronger (particluarly a slice backhand!), but I think you lose quickness at net. Don't sting the M-fil too tight like I did (62).

M-Fil 300 Club

fielders_80
09-06-2006, 06:18 AM
12 members, thats $1200 in revenue already..... Redflea... where is my cut?

fielders_80
09-06-2006, 06:19 AM
tschevap, weird is an understatement here....

Semaj
09-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Hi fellow m-fillers. I have just got in contact with Dunlop and they told me that a new range will be comming out at the beginning of 2007, however they cat tell me any more. Shhhhh its a secret

fielders_80
09-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks Semaj.....!!! Looks like we might have to change the name of the club pretty soon...

tschevap
09-06-2006, 08:01 AM
hey fellow-clubmembers... :)

I am a little afraid, that the buttcap comes loose again... i experienced this on the MFil 200 rackets before...three times...
did anyone of you have this problem already?

Maybe someone could help me here...thank you!

Mark S. Hogan
09-06-2006, 08:22 AM
LOL.

I like my number. :)

jonolau
09-06-2006, 08:25 AM
LOL.

I like my number. :)
You're welcome, 305.

tschevap
09-06-2006, 09:09 AM
another question: What design is your "dunlop" writing?

I have the "old" roundish styled "dunlop", but i saw the new design (as on TW) also in the shops...

Is there any difference in specs? Which one is the older design? which one do you have?

Thanks...

dave333
09-06-2006, 11:04 AM
i have the new one that also says tour something on top.

tschevap
09-06-2006, 11:11 AM
What i meant...: Do you have the old or the new logo on the racket?

old:

http://www.raysmith.co.uk/images/Graphics/dunlop_l.jpg

new:

http://www.tennisontario.com/images/emagazine/2005%20New%20Dunlop%20logo.jpg

Thank you!

Redflea
09-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Fielders_80...unexpected cost overruns related to staff medical treatments (read: spa days for the Flea) have sapped our funds.

I suggest an aggressive membership drive to replenish accounts ASAP. As a token of my respect the need to be frugal, I will limit today's spa visit to shiatsu massage, hair cut and style, and mint herbal tea refreshment.

We may want to raise our membership rates as well, focus on exclusivity, keep out the rabble and all that. ;)

Redflea
09-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi fellow m-fillers. I have just got in contact with Dunlop and they told me that a new range will be comming out at the beginning of 2007, however they cat tell me any more. Shhhhh its a secret

Any hint as to whether it would be a line of recreational racquets, or if they are going to continue to release "players" frames like the 200 & 300, etc.?

Redflea
09-06-2006, 01:56 PM
hey fellow-clubmembers... :)

Maybe someone could help me here...thank you!

Never had any issues w/the butt cap coming off on the M-Fil 300...snaps in very snugly for me, and I don't (yet) see any chance of if falling off - takes a bit of effort to pop it off.

dave333
09-06-2006, 02:15 PM
i have the new text on it.

fielders_80
09-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I think i have the older text.

tschevap, i never have any problems with the buttcap and i have removed that a few times to add/remove lead.

TLM_01
09-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I was lucky enough to get both versions of the m-fil 300,,,,,with the differet text. I made a thread on it.....
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=109986&highlight=M-Fil+300

jonolau
09-06-2006, 06:08 PM
I was lucky enough to get both versions of the m-fil 300,,,,,with the differet text. I made a thread on it.....
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=109986&highlight=M-Fil+300
That's interesting, looks like you played a role in the transition.

Semaj
09-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Sorry guys, Dunlop didnt say if they were 'performance' rackets or not. I can only assume that they are, since when did a company try to keep it a secret that they were selling a load of crappy frames that are gunna be sold at asda (or wallmart)

tschevap
09-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Sorry...i was not making it clear enough: it is not the buttcap - the rubber thing with the "D" on it - , which falls off...it is the whole gripend, which starts to move...i do not know, how you guys call that plastic-stuff, which is put on the end of the grip...under the replacement grip...

this plastic stuff got loose on my MFil 200s...i hold the racket at the very end of the grip, so that my hand is only half on the grip and the rest "in the air"...that way there is maybe more pressure on the grip end and it starts to get loose...

does anyone understand what i mean? :) I wouldn“t understand it myself...my english is somehow off this morning :D

jonolau
09-07-2006, 02:58 AM
Sorry...i was not making it clear enough: it is not the buttcap - the rubber thing with the "D" on it - , which falls off...it is the whole gripend, which starts to move...i do not know, how you guys call that plastic-stuff, which is put on the end of the grip...under the replacement grip...

this plastic stuff got loose on my MFil 200s...i hold the racket at the very end of the grip, so that my hand is only half on the grip and the rest "in the air"...that way there is maybe more pressure on the grip end and it starts to get loose...

does anyone understand what i mean? :) I wouldn“t understand it myself...my english is somehow off this morning :D
I understand it. It is very clear.

Simple solution: bring it to any tennis pro shop and ask them to staple the butt cap on. All butt caps are stapled on at the factory to prevent this problem. What the shop will do is remove the replacement grip, then use a long staple gun to secure the butt cap. The grip can be re-used if it is in good condition. Shouldn't cost you more than EUR3.00 as it only takes a few minutes to do.

You can check out this tutorial (http://www.racquetmaxx.com/wrapagrip.shtml) to understand what the stapler looks like.

Hope this helps.

tschevap
09-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks! I already tried that with my HM 200G and the MFIL 200...did you ever do it on the DUnlops? They have a mess of a grip created since the MW-series...it is some kind of very soft plastic, which reminds me on the isolating stuff you put inside the roof to keep out the cold...it is mushy, porous...you know, what i mean? Once one of the littel "nails" shot in with the gun gets loose, the whole stuff around starts to break...it is really a mess...

I let two shop try to fix it AND also the Dunlop guys with my previous rackets...i will send them again to Dunlop to let them fix it...because:

Today i took out my brandnew MFil 300s and 2 of 3 showed the moving butt end right from the start of the play...it is unbelievable, how Dunlop as such a traditional and well known brand is not able to put together a gripsystem, that works out...all other brands get that...

I am really angry about that...i expect those rackets to be quality products...and they are not...

I had that with 6 out of 9 Dunlop rackets from the 200G, 300G, MFIL 200 and now MFIL 300 series...and i always let other people try the rackets, too...the buttend ist definetly moving and makes sounds...i cant stand that...

And no one of you has had similar problems? Really no one? I am wondering...

Mark S. Hogan
09-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Not me. Maybe because I always use an over wrap.

tschevap
09-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Sorry, but there is no connection between a loose buttend and the use of an over wrap...

Besides: I use one, too...

Mark S. Hogan
09-07-2006, 12:30 PM
From the neat link Jonolau provided it looked like a tight wrap might hold it more firmly to the handle. But what do I know? :)

http://www.racquetmaxx.com/wrapagrip.shtml

tschevap
09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
I already called Dunlop and i am going to return the frames. I am not willing to accept this kind of "quality" - was a long time user of Dunlops and a long time user with lots of troubles with those rackets. I do not want that anymore and it seems as i will turn away from Dunlop ... too sad...the rackets play great...

Redflea
09-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks! I already tried that with my HM 200G and the MFIL 200...did you ever do it on the DUnlops? They have a mess of a grip created since the MW-series...it is some kind of very soft plastic, which reminds me on the isolating stuff you put inside the roof to keep out the cold...it is mushy, porous...you know, what i mean? Once one of the littel "nails" shot in with the gun gets loose, the whole stuff around starts to break...it is really a mess...

I let two shop try to fix it AND also the Dunlop guys with my previous rackets...i will send them again to Dunlop to let them fix it...because:

Today i took out my brandnew MFil 300s and 2 of 3 showed the moving butt end right from the start of the play...it is unbelievable, how Dunlop as such a traditional and well known brand is not able to put together a gripsystem, that works out...all other brands get that...

I am really angry about that...i expect those rackets to be quality products...and they are not...

I had that with 6 out of 9 Dunlop rackets from the 200G, 300G, MFIL 200 and now MFIL 300 series...and i always let other people try the rackets, too...the buttend ist definetly moving and makes sounds...i cant stand that...

And no one of you has had similar problems? Really no one? I am wondering...

I've hit w/three (demo and the two I bought) and never seen this either...the demo had a fair amount of use before I got it.

tempura_MAKI
09-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Ok, im convinced. The m-fil 300 was a darkhorse candidate for my next racquet purchase. I am very familiar with the wilson NCodes and they just dont satisfy me enough, so I was looking in to other wilson models, and also looking in to going babolat. How does this racquet compare to Higher end Ncodes and aeropro's?

thanks this thread has helped me alot, I have been another one of those buyers who have passed dunlop by. not this time. ;)

dave333
09-07-2006, 02:33 PM
m-fil 300 plays like a lighter n6.1 95.

fielders_80
09-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I ve never had any problems with anything butt related with the Mfil 300. But then again, this is the first Dunlop i ve ever had (except one like 15 years ago).

jonolau
09-07-2006, 05:48 PM
I've posted a new thread in the Racquets section to see if anyone else has this experience and better still, a solution to help tschevap out.

Let's give it a couple of days to see if there are any replies.

tschevap
09-07-2006, 10:48 PM
@jonolau

Thank you a lot!

jonolau
09-08-2006, 02:49 AM
@jonolau

Thank you a lot!
No worries, tschevap. Hope you find your answers. We MF3 club members will look out for each other ;)

fielders_80
09-08-2006, 08:07 AM
There you go..... Jonolau, our MF3 vice president. And MF3 laminated keychain specialist

Mark S. Hogan
09-08-2006, 12:07 PM
"We MF3 club members will look out for each other."

Part of our pledge. :)

"I promise to help the 300 M-Fil club and its members to the best of my ability; to encourage, guide, and protect them in all tennis related activities; and to show them by my example what a 300 M-Fil member is."

jonolau
09-08-2006, 04:57 PM
You guys crack me up! :D

Semaj
09-09-2006, 03:57 AM
So who is the best m-fil person in the m-fil 300 club. I have 3 mf300's so that gives me 3 points

Semaj
09-09-2006, 04:01 AM
1 MF3 = Owner
2 MF3 = Liker
3 MF3 = Lover
4 MF3 = Obsessor
5+ MF3 = Devout m-filler

dave333
09-09-2006, 04:26 AM
i want 2 but my parents don't want to buy me another.........

jonolau
09-09-2006, 07:42 AM
i want 2 but my parents don't want to buy me another.........
I'd rather have 2 parents and no MF3s. Count your blessings on hand, my friend. Just be thankful your parents even bought you one. ;)

Redflea
09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd rather have 2 parents and no MF3s. Count your blessings on hand, my friend. Just be thankful your parents even bought you one. ;)

Much easier to say when you're older...I clearly remember being willing to trade my parents for a Triumph TR-4 when I was 15 or 16. ;)

Venus06
09-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Hey guys - been reading this thread now with great interest over the past couple of days. I have to say the M-Fil 300 never struck me as a racket to choose.

I currently use a Pure Storm and love it. Its one of the best rackets ive hit with but i'm very tempted to try out the M-fil with it only being £50 over here in the UK.

By now i would have it in my hand.... but theres one thing thats stopping me and thats the 2 handed back hand situation. Most of you guys have a 1 HBH but those with a 2 hander dont seem to like the M-fil's feel on it. The problem is - my double handed BH is my biggest strength as i can either smack it flatly or add top spin for placement. I have so much success on that side and i dont want to jepordise it with the M-fil.

Sorry to bother you all with questions but this club is looking really sweet and i want in. Recently ive tired to incorporate slice into my game - unsucessfully. I can hit 1 handed BH but with no where near as much success as my 2 hander.

Is this racket worth me picking up at such a cheap price. I cant demo over here but the price is so good it seems worth the risk.

dave333
09-09-2006, 02:05 PM
don worry, my 2h backhand is still doing great, even better. Its much flatter but still has that little extra topspin that gives it a kick.