PDA

View Full Version : Wight/Swingweight Q Travelerajm and others Babolat APC+

DANMAN
08-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I just switched over from the Babolat PD+ to the Aeropro control + for the extra weight it offers. Having just played 4.5 sectionals and playing against 5.0s and better, I realized I needed some extra heft for volleying an blocking shots back but I wanted to stick with the Babolat feel and spin friendliness. I looked into the swingweight measurements and found TW to state it to be 345 and two of TW's competitors to list it at 325. At first, I thought TW's was high and that 325 was correct, but then it appeared that 325 was the unstrung SW. So I then just figured 345 was within my range. Today, at two local pro shops, I had my racket weighed (my other 3 are on the way), and found that when strung with Cyberflash and with a Tourna grip high tac xl overgrip and one of the older Babolat High Damp Dampeners that came in all different colors (thick ones), it weighed 13.1 ounces. I found this to be ridiculous as the unstrung frame weight states 11.3 ounces and stringing typically adds approximately .5 ounce, maybe a little more for poly. The dampener appears to weigh a little more than .1 ounces as it weighed .1 ounces but when taken off the frame, the frame weighed 12.9 ounces. The strung TW weight states 12.1 ounces. Obviously, the frame is either heavy or the overgrip weighs the .8 ounces (maybe someone would know if that sounds reasonable). From all of this information, is it possible to calculate a swingweight knowing the frame's weight with accessories is 13.1 ounces. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DANMAN
08-15-2006, 11:36 PM
any sort of estimate would be helpful as well...thanks

travlerajm
08-16-2006, 12:12 AM
I just switched over from the Babolat PD+ to the Aeropro control + for the extra weight it offers. Having just played 4.5 sectionals and playing against 5.0s and better, I realized I needed some extra heft for volleying an blocking shots back but I wanted to stick with the Babolat feel and spin friendliness. I looked into the swingweight measurements and found TW to state it to be 345 and two of TW's competitors to list it at 325. At first, I thought TW's was high and that 325 was correct, but then it appeared that 325 was the unstrung SW. So I then just figured 345 was within my range. Today, at two local pro shops, I had my racket weighed (my other 3 are on the way), and found that when strung with Cyberflash and with a Tourna grip high tac xl overgrip and one of the older Babolat High Damp Dampeners that came in all different colors (thick ones), it weighed 13.1 ounces. I found this to be ridiculous as the unstrung frame weight states 11.3 ounces and stringing typically adds approximately .5 ounce, maybe a little more for poly. The dampener appears to weigh a little more than .1 ounces as it weighed .1 ounces but when taken off the frame, the frame weighed 12.9 ounces. The strung TW weight states 12.1 ounces. Obviously, the frame is either heavy or the overgrip weighs the .8 ounces (maybe someone would know if that sounds reasonable). From all of this information, is it possible to calculate a swingweight knowing the frame's weight with accessories is 13.1 ounces. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem here is that there is sufficient reason to doubt the accuracy of the specs. Otherwise, you could just calculate the swingweight by starting with the unstrung spec and adding a term of M*(R - 10cm)^2 for every separate mass you added to the frame, including strings. For example, the swingweight contribution of the strings would be about 0.016kg * (51.6cm - 10cm)^2 = 28 kg-cm^2.

IMO, your best bet is to find a tennis shop with a Babolat SW measurement machine. (I've experimented a bit with my friend's Aeropro control, and found that it required a lot of lead in the hoop to be worth a darn on volleys.)

phat
08-16-2006, 04:48 AM
Danman, did you try to add some weight on the PD to see what you want.