PDA

View Full Version : Report from Scottsdale

irishbanger
03-05-2004, 04:31 PM
Double the matches today after yesterdays rainout. The first on center court was the remainder of the Verkerke/Cecil Mammet match. Mammet took the second set and fought gamely but was outclassed by the French Open finalist. Mamet has a great attitude and loves the game. He was the pro who volunteered to hit with the spectators on Wednesday and is a crowd favorite. He really got under Verkerke's skin with some fist pumping and playing to the crowd, and Verkerke refused to shake his hand after the match.
Next on center court was the Roddick/Bogolomov match. Young Alex just didn't have any firepower to match Roddick and it was a straight set winner for Roddick. His biggest serve that was in was 141 mph. Like Roddick or not---he brings the crowds and is the one guy the casual fan knows about. He was gracious with the autograph signings afterward. BTW--- did not know Bogomolov was so small.
A good match that was going while the Roddick match was on was Jan Michael Gambill and Lars Burgmuller. Lars was another very small guy but very quick. Gambill won in two sets, both tie-breakers. They played some great points, both guys running down everything. Gambill won this tournament a few years back and seems to want this one as well. Gambill's two-fisted forehand is very odd to see in person, and his serve is very good and very underrated. He plays Roddick tonight.
Keifer took out Ginepri in straight sets. Robby just not able to get into a groove and Keifer took advantage. Robby gets very down on himself--like a male version of Lindsay Davenport.
Had to leave so no report on the Blake/Spadea match but it was going to be an interesting one.

sseemiller
03-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Great report. :lol: Yes, Cecil does seem to be a nice guy. Interesting that Verkerk wouldn't shake hands at the net.

I also agree that Gambill's serve is underrated; it really screams. But using two hands off both sides limits his movement at times. But I wouldn't count him out either. He's beaten Andy before. I think he beat him in the LA semis a couple years ago.

Interesting stuff. Have fun!
:)

sseemiller
03-05-2004, 08:01 PM
The Gambill/Roddick match is now on TTC, and I'm watching it.

No tantrums yet, but Roddick did have words with the umpire, over a call in his favor. He said it was wrong, and gave the point to Jan-Mike. :wink:

Susan

sseemiller
03-05-2004, 08:11 PM
In fact, it happened again. Jan-Mike hit an ace, and the chair called a let, and Andy gave Gambill the point, saying the device isn't working right. They may shut it off.

PFurlong
03-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Since you are watching...Who is the red head who is calling the match for TTC. It's funny cause earlier in the day during the Mamit match, TTC was setting up for the first Roddick match, they were getting the cameras ready, setting up the booth, etc. And this guy, or someone was in the booth and the signall was way too loud, you could hear it from the court and one of the fans told them to be quiet and everyone applauded.

Andy won again and was setting the crowd up by being so nice and talking to them throughout. He had lost some of them and it was an obvious attempt to win them back.

I will go to the semi and now I am hoping he makes it to the final. If he doesn't, there should be plenty of seats for Sunday.

Hey Irish Guy, where are you? I am there everyday this week, except Wednesday.

sseemiller
03-05-2004, 08:29 PM
I don't know. I only recognize Lief Shiras so far. I'll let you know.

Gambill took the first set, playing a really great tiebreak. Andy threw his racquet a couple times. He was upset at himself, for playing some bonehead shots. But credit to Gambill for keeping his cool. They both are serving well, though.

I had to laugh a Brad shaking his head at one of Andy's particularly bad shots.

They were applauding each others winners earlier in the set, but stopped that in the tiebreak. :wink:

I actually know who wins, but I won't spoil the suspense here, in case others are watching it. TTC is showing it on tape delay.

Susan

sseemiller
03-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Hmmm. the red-headed guy is named Jeff. They had Gus Sampras in the booth for quite a bit, and he said he offered Pete a wildcard into the event, and Pete turned it down. (Gus is the tourney director.) Pete's apparently spending his time chasing his son around and not tennis balls. :lol:

Andy's up a break now. At one point he hit a wild shot, and yelled "Fore" after he hit it. I think it went out of the stands.

And Roddick just said that he couldn't hit a passing shot in the ocean right now, whatever that means. In other words, his passes have been crap.

sseemiller
03-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Andy took the second set, 6-4. He saved breakpoint with a volley. It didn't look like the most expert one :lol: , but it did the trick.

Gambill is hitting lots more winners -- 35 to 19, at last count. But the one break was all Andy needed for this set. There have been some good shots and rallies. Gambill's net play has improved, I think.

They are 3-1 in the third, with Andy up a break. Andy had chances to break again, but hit some lousy shots. He even told himself, "Keep it in the court, Buddy."

Brad is chatting in the stands as usual. Nothing new there.

And the commentator is Geoff Grant.

sseemiller
03-05-2004, 09:57 PM
As you know by now, Andy won. He kind of rolled in the third set.

But the best part was afterwards, TTC featured a photo shoot with Carlos Moya. Amazing how much make-up they put on those guys, and they still look great.

I think the Channel is great. If you get the chance to get it, you should sign up. Initially I was upset at the digital costs, but I think it was well worth it.

Susan

Fee
03-05-2004, 10:13 PM
It would have been great if they had shown a match like that LIVE, but I guess ESPN disease is spreading.

The name Geoff Grant may sound familiar to some people. He is one of the two former players behind the tennis documentary 'The Journeymen' I met him in San Jose and I think he's pretty cool. He was kind enough to send me a copy of the DVD and I can highly recommend it.

Shame for JanMike. He is going to lose a batch of points. No matter how well he played this week, that's going to hurt. Hopefully he'll put it behind him before he heads to IW next week. But enough of my blind faith in him...

PFurlong
03-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Nicolas Kiefer won his match against Hanescu. Nothing too impressive from either and Kiefer's experience carried him to a close 3 set match. The winner of tonights match with Roddick and Spadea.

I didn't see Andy dominate yet and he may be ripe for upset looking forward to Indian Wells. The timing of this tournament is horrible because of the Master Series event following this one. Pete and Andre have always pulled out of this one at the first hint of not playing 100%.

At least we have Andy. As long time visitor to the event I have never seen a marque player draw like Andy. Andre and Pete did but mostly for finals. Andy get's them for any time of the day. Good for tennis. I can do without the tantrums, but hey. maybe he's the next John MacEnroe for temperment.

Gotta go back out.

sseemiller
03-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the update. :lol:

Yep, Andy's pretty popular at tourneys. Many players, including Ferrero, Safin and Moya, can walk around the grounds without getting bothered too much. Andy can't. He's mobbed from the sec he leaves the clubhouse, and needs security guards to get him too and from the practice courts. It was like that with Pat Rafter. It would have been like that with Andre and Pete, but often they practiced off-site.

I'm dating myself here, but I remember watching McEnroe and Connors play. Andy has quite a ways to go to match their histrionics, IMHO.

Have fun! I should catch the match on TTC -- although the TTC is schedule is a bit mystifying today. :lol:

Susan