PDA

View Full Version : Redondo Mid Vs Mid Plus

UpTheT
08-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Here we go!!

Played 3 sets with the mid after demoing the mid plus for the last 3 weeks and found the following:

I will keep it simple.

Ground Strokes: Advantage MID.
Mid- Little more control than the Midplus. You lose a little power on shots off the top of the hoop. Much more feel with the smaller head.

Volleys: Mid
Again, you gain more control. More manuverable than the midplus. Lose a little bit of power, only slight. Half volleys are deadly with the mid. The extra control and manuverability allowed me to wait that extra split second so I could pick the right spot.

Serves: Midplus
It might be because of the string, gut in the mid instead of the NXT that was in the mid plus, but the serving seemed a bit easier with the midplus. Kickers were easier with the midplus. I think once I get used to the mid it will be a wash.

Returns: Mid
I can't tell you how easy it is to get on top of the ball. I faced two great servers tonight, both being stong 6.0 players. The "deadness" of the racket allowed me to hit away on their big serves, placing the ball deep with pace. The wonderful control brought on by this racket allows you to get over the ball with ease, thus enabling you to put the ball at the feet of your opponent; something that isn't as easy with the midplus.

What you gain from the mid outweights anything the midplus can offer.

BreakPoint
08-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the quick review. Look forward to more detailed comparisons after you've spent more time with the Mid.

BTW, did you end up just buying the Mid? I thought the demo was not due back until the end of the month or was it October? Didn't you start a thread b*tching about it? Oh yeah, you did. I just found it: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=114517

:D

UpTheT
08-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the quick review. Look forward to more detailed comparisons after you've spent more time with the Mid.

BTW, did you end up just buying the Mid? I thought the demo was not due back until the end of the month or was it October? Didn't you start a thread b*tching about it? Oh yeah, you did. I just found it: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=114517

:D
Yes, I bought the mid. Had to buy the 4 1/2s in order to get them this year.

BreakPoint
08-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Yes, I bought the mid. Had to buy the 4 1/2s in order to get them this year.

So what was your preferred grip size?

Sounds like you're not having any problems with the 4 1/2 anyway.

newnuse
08-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Just what I needed. Thanks for the review T.

I can get the 98" demo but cannot get in 93" from the local shop.

travlerajm
08-16-2006, 12:22 AM
That's interesting... one of the few racquet lines where the mid and midplus have similar specs. With this case, the only difference is that the midplus has a slightly more polarized weight distribution, which explains why it was less maneuverable.

UpTheT
08-16-2006, 10:43 AM
I prefer a 4 5/8 grip. Breakpoint-- if you look further down the thread you posted, you'll find out why I went with the 4 1/2s

anirut
08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I prefer a 4 5/8 grip.

MAN! You're BIG!

Thanks for the review. I was actually thinking about getting the MP and your review has swayed my thinking. (Actually I was thinking about something else all together.)

BTW, what tension are the two rackets?

Keifers
08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I prefer a 4 5/8 grip. Breakpoint-- if you look further down the thread you posted, you'll find out why I went with the 4 1/2s
UTT, please e-mail me re 4 5/8 Redondo Mid. (Click on my user name at left.) Thanks.

BreakPoint
08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
deleted..........

anirut
08-16-2006, 11:09 AM
BP, I'm kinda dumb ... too innocent ... could you please make it really "explicit"?

BreakPoint
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
OK, it's been deleted. Just a common expression here in the U.S., but a bit in bad taste for a public message board I guess, so it's gone now. :D

thejuice
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
MAN! You're BIG!

Thanks for the review. I was actually thinking about getting the MP and your review has swayed my thinking. (Actually I was thinking about something else all together.)

BTW, what tension are the two rackets?

Anirut, what other racquet are you thinking about trying? I loved the look and am interested in the specs of the Prince Hybrid Tour.

anirut
08-16-2006, 11:46 AM
OK, my Redondo plays really nice and soft with synthetic grip + overgrip. I removed the leather and added some weights to compensate the loss. Need to compensate a little more to make it closer to the weight of the leather.

The racket now feels 'just right' when hitting, except for tighter strings and the weight needed.

anirut
08-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Juice, I was thinking about the Dunlop HM200G. Looked at the specs and it seems like a good candidate for mods, plus I'd get that Dunlop feel too.

Also was also thinking about the PK 5G. I 'might' need a bigger head if I become slow.

Well, after my game tonight (just got back) I realized that I need to restring my Redondo immediately. Got it strung at 55 to test with and things were all wrong. I had to bring out my 10VE Mid to play with instead. I think I'm going backt to 61 lbs. with the Redondo.

I might not even get the HM200G at all ... because after changing to synthetic grip the racket is now really nice, very nice. I'll have to weight my decision a bit.

UpTheT
08-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Mine are strung at 57 lbs with Tonic.

Breakpoint-- What was the deleted post? I missed it.

BreakPoint
08-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Don't worry about it. It was just a joke and having a bit of fun.

Ten.Is
08-16-2006, 08:17 PM
I like mid plus