PDA

View Full Version : Stringing loose or getting a powerful racquet?

jace112
08-16-2006, 01:49 AM
A friend of mine asked me a tricky question. I thought I'd answer it easily but somehow I couldn't...:confused:

Saying that you play with control oriented frame, not really powerful, and you feel you miss some pace:

what's the best option: to string at much lower tension or to get a more powerful frame strung tighter?

(I do precise that I'm just talking about ball speed. No sweetspot, feedback...)

verdasco67
08-16-2006, 02:13 AM
I use the wilson n-six one 95...i string it low to get my power.....around 50-55 lbs.

verdasco67
08-16-2006, 02:13 AM
its up to you though...everyone is different..

Londonfields
08-16-2006, 02:54 AM
Seems like one could go either route to achieve more pace. I would personally NOT switch out my control racquet so I'd go for the dropped tension. But to be fair, one really should test the two options perhaps to determine for oneself. But then again, there are so many other things that are different betwen frames so it would be difficult to asses...?

LordRaceR
08-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Just lower tension. More powerful stiffer frame with tight strings will give you board feel and arm pain problems.

chair ump
08-16-2006, 05:00 AM
Don't forget about trying a stiffer more powerful frame with lower tension too. It gives these often boardy, rigid racquets much more feel. This will save your arm and you'd be surprised at the exceptional feel and control you still get. I've been playing an npro surge x strung in the upper 40's with Prince Synthetic Gut and am very happy.

jonolau
08-16-2006, 06:39 AM
Very interesting question that I was asking myself a couple of days ago. My C10 Pro used to have full kevlar (Gamma TNT Extreme Spin 19) at 58lbs. 2 days I cut those strings out and tried putting in Prince Synthetic Gut Duratec 18 at 54 lbs.

It made an amazing difference. I was still able to generate insane amounts of spin on groundies, and I could confidently whip the racquet without worries of the ball going long. Volleys and slices had a lot of bite as I used a thinner gauge string.

However, the only downside I'm seeing is that the tension has dropped a fair amount after 2 x 2 hour sessions. Now the strings are moving around a lot.

Play around with the strings and tension, I'm sure there will be a perfect setup. But just remember, there will be trade-offs.

jace112
08-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks for your replies. BTW coming from Kevlar @58lbs to Synthetic Gut @54 lbs that should make a HUGE difference ;-)

mucat
08-16-2006, 07:10 AM
If the reason is lack of power. Always try to lower the tension before getting a new racket. Tension can make or break a racket, even a great racket. There are other benefit of lower tension, like bigger sweetspot and more arm-friendly.

jonolau
08-16-2006, 07:11 AM
It is a MONSTROUS difference. ;)

I used to dread having my racquets restrung, which was why I went the kevlar way. But now I have my own stringer, I can play about with different strings and tensions.

NoBadMojo
08-16-2006, 07:20 AM
I think this is a simple question with a not so simple answer. A heavier racquet at lower tension will definitely make it easier to hit the ball deeper (if that is your definition of power), but obviously doesnt increase your racquetheadspeed. The lighter racquet gives you more racquetheadspeed which usually also increases your power (in a more real way than lower the tension does). You have to find the right balance..the right SWINGWEIGHT for your skillset.
In an ideal world, it is best to just lower the tension of the heavier racquet as heavier racquets are usually flexier racquets and lower tensions or more powerful strings are usually a more comfortable hit. The danger with this is <and i see this fairly often> that when they lower the tension on a heavy frame, people have control issues because they cant swing their heavy demanding frame quickly enough to generate the spin they need for control, nor do they have good technique...hitting late with a heavier frame strung at lower tensions with a lively string doesnt give any sort of decent control.
The key is to find a racquet with the right SWINGWEIGHT and then proceed to pick the right string and tension

fx101
08-16-2006, 07:32 AM
if you string loose just don't turn it into a butterfly net.

Craig Sheppard
08-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Now, this is *ME*, i'm not saying it'd work for you... but I prefer switching racquets to switching tension. I've tried dropping tension in a racquet, and I hate the trampoline feeling I get. I used a Fischer Pro 1 and strung it at 58 w/ syn guts, 62 with nat gut. I felt i was just missing some pop. I tried lowering it a little, but then the control goes, and I feel like I'm playing more of a sling shot...

Enter the n6.1 16x18... So I try this rac, string it up at 59, and find it's got what I need--the pop is there (this is a pretty powerful racquet for a player's frame) and my firm, controlled stringbed feeling is still there.

So that's the way I go about the problem you're mentioning, I just experienced it.

siow_a
08-16-2006, 10:32 AM
I think it is very personally decision to decide on lowering the tension or getting a new racquet. But since you have the racquet, why don't you just try lowering the tension and trying out different strings(a whole new discussion here on what is best). Once you have exhausted your options and none of the tension/string combinations work then you can move one to a new racquet and repeat your tension/string combinations. Spend a little time and some money on the racquet you have and then move on. Unless the racquet is totally unplayable(wrong swingweight, heavy/light static weight, wrong length, headsize....like what Mojo said)...then move on to playtesting new frames. Good Luck

tennisplaya444
08-16-2006, 07:20 PM
string lower, a more powerful raqcuet w/ higher tension feels like a board and will give u major arm problems

chair ump
08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
There's a reason FedEx strings his racquets in the upper 40's...Low tension RULES!

TennsDog
08-17-2006, 07:40 AM
I use the wilson n-six one 95...i string it low to get my power.....around 50-55 lbs.
You want more power from the n6.1 95? Wow. I had to get rid of it because it has just too much.

Ok, anyway. I advise getting a control from with not quite enough power and stringing lower. This is the best option (in my opinion) for a few reasons. One is because I don't like the idea of trying to compensate for a racket with too much power. It's always easier to add power with weight, strings, strengthening, etc. than it is to get rid of power once it's there. Another reason is because even if you can't quite get it to the power level you want, I think too much control is always better than too much power. Reason three: a powerful frame is likely stiffer, and then you'd also be stringing tighter. This can produce a rather stiff feel, which detracts from touch/feel while playing and also can lead to elbow and shoulder problems.

onkystomper
08-17-2006, 12:09 PM
There's a reason FedEx strings his racquets in the upper 40's...Low tension RULES!

With all due respect to everyone on this board, i am not sure we should be comparing ourselves to Federer... It takes a hugely talented player to use the frame he does and then on top to control with low tensions..... well he is no. 1 in the world for a reason!

That being said i read an interesting article by a guy from P1 who saids ou should string it as low as possible until you lose control.

mucat
08-17-2006, 12:52 PM
With all due respect to everyone on this board, i am not sure we should be comparing ourselves to Federer... It takes a hugely talented player to use the frame he does and then on top to control with low tensions..... well he is no. 1 in the world for a reason!

That being said i read an interesting article by a guy from P1 who saids ou should string it as low as possible until you lose control.

My PS 6.0 85 string at 40-45 lbs. The only problem about lower tension is the power. You know what to do with a powerful racket?? Add more topspin!! :twisted:

Once you can confuse your opponent frequently thinking your shots are out but the ball dip right on the baseline, you have enough topspin.

fastdunn
08-17-2006, 01:53 PM

I thought that was for his polyester cross srtings.
As I know, he has his main strings(gut) at mid-50s....

Mutant Hippo
08-18-2006, 08:02 AM
i used to use a wilson steffi graff pro staff classic lite 7.0, its a really light, super flexible graphite frame, and i had it strung around 70 which worked, it kept the balls in play. because of its age, i decided to switch, and i ended up with an aeropro drive strung at 86 on the crosses and 82 on the mains with 18g synthetic. i get more pace on the ball with the babolat.with loose strings, ive felt like the ball came of the strings unpredictably, sometimes sticking to the strings or just sliding and hitting the frame. mostly its whatever feels right, just try different setups

fielders_80
08-18-2006, 08:05 AM
86 lbs?? With APD?? What the hell??? You are truly a mutant....