PDA

View Full Version : Wrist pain after raquet switch

rustsurfr
08-16-2006, 04:32 AM
I have been searching around the message boards and have found a ton of lengthy articles about causes of wrist pain. However i am looking for some somewhat short advice if anyone has it. I have been playing with my aeropro drive for about 4 or 5 months now with aches and pains from spot to spot, and time to time. But nothing consistent or severe. Recently i have been demoing the prince tour diablo midsize for almost 2 weeks. The past two times using it, a lot of wrist pain has developed. I have a few theories that i would like ether disproved or backed up. A) The weight change. Maybe i need to make my wrists stronger. B) Grip size on the demo was a 4-3/8. I have quite large hands. C) My technique is too wristy. I hit with a grip that is pretty western, id say more than half way between semi western and full. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks, Rob

(yes i realize my headline shows "racquet" spelled wrong. Sorry i don't think i can edit that)

kinsella
08-16-2006, 05:49 AM
Any time you make a significant change in your racquet, there is a risk of joint pain or injury, as your swing mechanics adjust to the new stick. "Significant" includes up or down an ounce, up or down 10 pts of swingweight, up or down 4-5 pts in stiffness. I have not heard of wrist pain from using the wrong grip size, but that makes sense, too, because you need to change what you were doing to hit the ball. You can put another replacement grip on the stick to bring it up to 4 1/2+, but it is hard to get an accurate demo using the wrong grip size or using a racquet with two grips on it.

Joint pain can happen when you move from a racquet that is "hard" on joints to one that is considered "friendly" to joints. Joint pain is a frequent complaint of players demo-ing racquets, but often it is not the racquet, just the change. Usually time takes care of the problem, but skip marathon hitting until then.

hadoken
08-16-2006, 10:11 AM
I can backup the prior comments. Changing racquets can cause quite a shock to your system if they are very different. I went from a very HL, heavy (12+ oz), flexible stick to one that was stiffer and lighter. Even after I added lead, it simply wrecked my arm. I had unbelieavle wrist and elbow pain and had to stop playing for most of winter. I got frustrated, went back to my old frame and the pain is largely gone so I have given up changing racquets. Since your injury seems like mine but with a reverse frame, I gather it is the difference that causes this. I also noticed that my strokes were slightly different when I went to the new racquet and this must have aggravated the problem. I hit the ball pretty hard and this slight stroke change probably is very severe on my arm. I have resigned myself to not upgrading racquets so I can play pain free.

Redflea
08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Playing w/too small a grip can definitely cause problems...I've had elbow and wrist issues that appeared to result from using 4 3/8 demos w/out overgrips to build them up. Added overgrips and problems subsided almost immediately. Definitely add some overgrips (maybe two at least, depending on your normal grip size).

The Prince is very flexy, so your problems are likely more about the grip size, and "bad" technique that you may be falling into due to the racquet change, especially if there is a big difference in weight/balance, power level, stiffness, etc., from the Prince.

bertrevert
08-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Yes just changed grip size (4) 4-1/2 to (3) 4-3/8and got a twinge or two in the elbow but that will go. Really small twinge. No long hitting sessions.

Interestingly because I went from the Head to a Yonex i found that the Head size 4 is actually a small 4, more like the Yonex 3 grip, in fact I cannot tell them apart, but just have a tiny twinge in the elbow...

TopJunior56
08-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Also the raquet may be a little to stiff, borrow or demo a racquet that is mor flexible, try that out.

fastdunn
08-16-2006, 05:57 PM
People already posted good points but I would like to add

* Check the string too.

What strings have you used on Aeropro and diablo ?
In my case, 90% of wrist pain came when I used very stiff synthetics
or polyester (besides the swing technique which could be major cause...)
Maybe it could be just me. But doesn't hurt to check the string....

In my case, certain mild pains often comes when I switch racquets
but it goes away soon (after my body get used to it).
But don't play while you feel pain.

I have been searching around the message boards and have found a ton of lengthy articles about causes of wrist pain. However i am looking for some somewhat short advice if anyone has it. I have been playing with my aeropro drive for about 4 or 5 months now with aches and pains from spot to spot, and time to time. But nothing consistent or severe. Recently i have been demoing the prince tour diablo midsize for almost 2 weeks. The past two times using it, a lot of wrist pain has developed. I have a few theories that i would like ether disproved or backed up. A) The weight change. Maybe i need to make my wrists stronger. B) Grip size on the demo was a 4-3/8. I have quite large hands. C) My technique is too wristy. I hit with a grip that is pretty western, id say more than half way between semi western and full. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks, Rob

(yes i realize my headline shows "racquet" spelled wrong. Sorry i don't think i can edit that)

rustsurfr
08-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Thank you everyone for your replys. I got a hold of my friends diablo with a 4-1/2 inch grip. I will try that out tomorrow. Im going to take it easy though and concentrate on my swing technique. From the few practice strokes i have taken inside the house already, it seems to be easier on the wrist. But i can not know for sure untill tomorrow.

As for the strings as some of you asked, i have been using sythetic gut on the diablo demo strung at 56lbs. (less tension than i normally use) On my aeropro i have had a variety of strings over time including luxilon (which did give me some arm pain in the past, but not so much wrist) I usually have been going up to maximum reccomended on the aeropro drive (minus 10% when using lux)

Thanks again everyone! I will let you know how it turns out.

Redflea
08-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Don't forget to rest your wrist...for it to heal takes time, regardless of racquet. Of course, if you're a young buck that will likely take all of 15 minutes...for us old guys it could be months. ;)

Regulator
08-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Maybe there a little too much of that other type of "stroking" going on here....

:rolleyes:

rustsurfr
08-17-2006, 07:12 AM
Alright, well i tried the racquet today and everything seemed great. Same awesome diablo feel, but no pain. Just a little soreness remaining from the other day.

Don't forget to rest your wrist...for it to heal takes time, regardless of racquet. Of course, if you're a young buck that will likely take all of 15 minutes...for us old guys it could be months.

Very good point. I only hit for 20 minutes today cause i really need to rest up. Just some solid but not over aggressive ground strokes and a few serves. Ill take your advice and chill for a few days. Although it is extremely hard for me to sit around watch tennis on television, yet restrain myself from going out and playing. I am 17 and would sure love for my youngbuckness to kick in and give me a 15 minute recovery. :D

Maybe there a little too much of that other type of "stroking" going on here....

Oh dont you worry about that, none of that is necessary in my case ;)

emcee
08-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Maybe your shots are too wristy though. It's a possiblity. Maybe post a vid of your shots in the Tennis Instruction section? But yeah, even it's not that, it couldn't hurt working out your wrist with small weights to build it up so it's not easy to injure again.

Redflea
08-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Alright, well i tried the racquet today and everything seemed great. Same awesome diablo feel, but no pain. Just a little soreness remaining from the other day.

That's good to hear...could mean things will be OK w/the larger grip.

[On resting up to heal.] Very good point. I only hit for 20 minutes today cause i really need to rest up. Just some solid but not over aggressive ground strokes and a few serves. Ill take your advice and chill for a few days. Although it is extremely hard for me to sit around watch tennis on television, yet restrain myself from going out and playing. I am 17 and would sure love for my youngbuckness to kick in and give me a 15 minute recovery. :D

17...hmmm, I vaguely remember that age. If I could only go back w/my current experience (and bank account). ;) You should be fine soon...when you go back out, I recommend you plan a couple shorter than usual sessions when you get back out on the court. I've found that to be the best approach when returning from strains.

I know what you mean about watching tennis...I sit w/racquet in my hand sometimes. Makes my wife crazy. Her: "Can you put that away before you put a hole in the wall or one of us!?" Me: "Huh? Oh, was I swinging it again? Sorry!" :)

rustsurfr
08-17-2006, 10:04 AM
I know what you mean about watching tennis...I sit w/racquet in my hand sometimes. Makes my wife crazy. Her: "Can you put that away before you put a hole in the wall or one of us!?" Me: "Huh? Oh, was I swinging it again? Sorry!" :)

I DO THE SAME THING! My family thinks im crazy haha.

rustsurfr
08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Maybe your shots are too wristy though. It's a possiblity. Maybe post a vid of your shots in the Tennis Instruction section? But yeah, even it's not that, it couldn't hurt working out your wrist with small weights to build it up so it's not easy to injure again.

Yes, i think the wristyness was a side effect of using the small grip. It was probobly a temporary habit that i developed with the demo. Today i concentrated on keeping my wrist straight when swinging. It made my shots feel nice and solid, and i did not lose any spin on the ball. It felt natural almost right away. But yes, i think im definatly going to start hitting the gym. I never have really gotten into weight training, but i guess i am well of the age to start. I could imagine that it would help my game a lot.

Regulator
08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Maybe try to lube your joints?

rustsurfr
08-19-2006, 01:55 PM
WHY CAN I NOT REFRAIN FROM PLAYING?!?!? Every day my wrist continues to be sore. Still not nearly as bad as with the small grip, but this ache is seriously not helping my game. It sounds easy enough to simply not play, but i swear its like an addiction. I work in a tennis shop so i am constantly around the sport. It is a serious temptation to play after work. Every time i finish hitting i tell myself how stupid that was to not rest my wrist. Who knows.....maybe i need to have someone hide my racquets for a week. :confused:

newnuse
08-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Sounds like your stroked was learned with a light racket... very wristy.... switching to a heavier racket and using the same stroke would put more strain on your wrist.

If you are young, those aches even with the Babalot should not happen very often or at all.

If you are on the older side, maybe your body cannot take the stress of your playing style as it once did. Either way, maybe a change in technique would do you good.

I hit a fairly flat shot which is pretty easy on the wrist, arm and body. I hit with these so call modern techniques once in awhile and can feel the stress to produces on the body. I wouldn't advocate this for anybody. Your health in the long run is more important.