PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Player's Racquet . . .

TripleB
08-16-2006, 06:48 AM
After getting the opportunity to play with a couple lighter tweener racquets (03 White and TFlash 290), I've realized that I'm more comfortable playing with a 'heavier' racquet that gets its power from its weight and not from technology or stiffness. {I really like the 03 White, but the lack of weight in the head tends to cause my heavy topspin shots to land short--don't want to add lead tape}

Three things that the 03 White did make me realize are: 1) using a racquet that is larger than my POG mid (93 sq in) makes all shots, especially at net, a lot more forgiving; 2) having a racquet that I feel comfortable with at net adds a whole new dimension to my game (I'm typically a strict baseliner but being able to come to the net, using the 03 White, made me a much more effective player); 3) having a little extra pop out of the racquet is a great thing to have as you get older.

So now I'm looking to see what's out there with the following characteristics:

1) larger than 93 square inch head
2) 11.7-12.2 ounces
3) offers excellent pop on serves
4) allows for easy access to spin
5) good power (for a "players" racquet) on groundstrokes
6) quick/comfortable/solid at net

What racquet you do think would best fit those characteristics?

After a quick run through using the 'racquet finder' tool I found the following: Pure Control Team, Pure Drive Roddick, Flexpoint Radical Tour, 03 Tour Midplus (only 11.6 oz), 03 Hybrid Tour (337 swingweights a little scary to my aging body), nSix-One 95 nCode.

Thanks for any helpful opinions/advice/comments.

TripleB

jace112
08-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Babolat Pure Control Team
Tecnifibre T-Fight 320 or 335 (16x20 pattern)

ATXtennisaddict
08-16-2006, 06:54 AM
i was gonna say most ppl here would recommend ncode

fielders_80
08-16-2006, 06:59 AM
If you like the feel of the 03 White, go ahead and try O3 Tour MP. They have slightly similar feel. I have an 03 Tour MP and my wife plays with 03 White so i would switch sticks from time to time just for fun.

zhan
08-16-2006, 07:27 AM
i was gonna say most ppl here would recommend ncode
like n6.1

TripleB
08-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Tecnifibre T-Fight 320 or 335 (16x20 pattern)

Do they have these available at TW?

TripleB

Keifers
08-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Yonnie RQ7 Tour?

Superb volleying racquet. Nice heft and pop overall.

Redflea
08-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Prince Tour Diablo MP...fits your specs, I think, and is head light enough to be very quick at the net. Head Flexpoint Radical Tour might also be worth a look. DNX 10 MP was my favorite "too heavy for me" racquet of the recent demos I looked at...12oz, 320 SW, 7pts head light...tons of spin potential and great at the net, but I was moving to a lighter racquet, so it didn't make the cut for me.

I know you said you don't want to do this, but personally, if I had a racquet that I really liked except for weight, I'd at least try some lead on it before moving on...very cheap and easy to try. But I know some people don't care for that option. :)

bluescreen
08-16-2006, 10:22 AM
So now I'm looking to see what's out there with the following characteristics:

1) larger than 93 square inch head
2) 11.7-12.2 ounces
3) offers excellent pop on serves
4) allows for easy access to spin
5) good power (for a "players" racquet) on groundstrokes
6) quick/comfortable/solid at net

im gonna say either n6.1 95 16x18, prince diablo, or rds 001. i'd definately demo these 3. all have most of the characteristics u're looking for.

vinnier6
08-16-2006, 10:34 AM
head flexpoint radical tour...

Swingman
08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
My recent favorites in that weight range are the Fischer MSpeed 98 and Gamma Ipex 7.0.

TennisMD
08-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I have demoed several on your list:
1)The Roddick PD std: solid feel, but not controlable for me, which suprised me as I had great results with the PD+ and changed only because of all the hype about arm saftey.
2)The Head Fp Radical tour: my favorite, decent in all areas , very strong on baseline rallies.
3)The Wilson 6.1 n code 95 ,16x18, also quite nice served very well with this. Again,some times I believe I think too much and get concerned am I giving up an advantage, especially on baseline rallies, if I use a smaller head size.
So my favorite is the Head, serves well, easy to spin, great baseline rally stick

TripleTennisBumB
08-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Yes, and please keep the rest of us Bens informed concerning this latest quest. Remember, we are a 4.5 player who hits with heavy spins, topspin forehand and heavy, heavy, heaaavvvvy slice backhand. Thanks!

Ultra2HolyGrail
08-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Hehe thats pretty funny..

tripleB, when are you NOT looking for a racquet.

tommbox
08-16-2006, 05:24 PM
I think the Dunlop 200g or mfil 200 are good rackets that have a unique feel and do everything well, but I would say they are demanding and that you will be rewarded with good form (but I guess you could really say that for all racquets). I'm especially talking about the footwork. I think the 200g is a little more demanding than the mfil

TennsDog
08-16-2006, 05:29 PM
I was going to suggest the n6.1 95 before I even finished your post. It has a lot of power for a player's frame, in my opinion. That is the only reason I ditched it. It has fantastic serves, no complaints about spin, no problems at net, and is very solid overall. I definitely think it's worth a demo.

TripleB
08-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Hehe thats pretty funny..

tripleB, when are you NOT looking for a racquet.

As far as this year is concerned:

1) I wasn't looking for one from around February 13th through May 20th....that's golf season (I'm the coach)

2) I wasn't looking for one from around May 20th through June 18th or so...had no real interest in tennis

3) I wasn't looking for one from July 29th through August 8th...my father died on July 29th and I had no real interest in anything... I'm looking for one now in hopes that it will give me something to keep my mind occupied so I don't just sit around thinking about how much I miss him.

TripleB

TripleB
08-17-2006, 11:41 AM
I know you said you don't want to do this, but personally, if I had a racquet that I really liked except for weight, I'd at least try some lead on it before moving on...very cheap and easy to try. But I know some people don't care for that option. :)

I searched through all my tennis supply "stuff" and all I could find was 6g of lead tape { had already used some on a putter :rolleyes: }. I decided to go ahead and throw it on the 03 White at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock (3g each) just to see if it made any difference...not sure 6g is going to make a lot of difference but as you said it's cheap and easy to try so why not. Thanks.

TripleB

Redflea
08-17-2006, 01:39 PM
5 g at 3 & 9 was very noticeable on my M-Fil 300 (also had 2 g in the handle). You're moving the balance point up towards the head, since you only added weight on the head, so you'll be less head light now. If you experience maneuverability/balance issues you may have to shell out for some weight to put in/on the handle (or just above it). Be interesting to hear how it feels to you...

gooberwho
08-18-2006, 05:57 PM
try POG OS.

TripleB
08-20-2006, 09:51 AM
I just wanted to send a quick post of thanks for all your help over the past few weeks with possible racquet/demo choices. Being active on the board again has really helped keep my mind busy (which is a great thing) since the passing of my father (July 29th).

After playing with a couple playtest racquets, using a couple racquets out of my closet, realizing my elbow is more sensitive now than it used to be, deciding that I'm better off with a racquet under 11.8 ounces, and reading all your comments, I've decided to order the following four demos:

1) Yonex RDS 001 Midplus: I pulled out my RDX500 Midplus yesterday and played very well with it…anxious to see how the slightly lighter and slightly more powerful (so I've read) RDS001 will play.

2) Prince 03 White: Currently playtesting this racquet and it has added a whole new dimension to my game (volleying) and the comfort level is fantastic. Currently my favorite racquet so I'm looking forward to see how it compares to the other demos.

3) Prince 03 Tour Midplus: Hopefully a similar racquet to the Prince 03 White with a little more weight added. I know it gets a lot of mixed feeling on the board but in looking at the specs I thinks it's worth a shot.

4) Babolat Pure Storm Team: Playtested this racquet a while back and it had some flaws but I'm looking forward to trying it again now that I've started looking for a lighter and plusher feel from my racquets.

Thanks again for all your help...look for a comparison of the four in September or October.

TripleB

chess9
08-20-2006, 02:11 PM
The Yonex RDS001 is the best, but you'd have to add a bit of lead to it. Beautiful hit, great fit and finish. Just my humble opinion, of course. The WIlson 6.1 95 is also a sweet racquet.

-Robert