PDA

View Full Version : Prince 03 tour OS, replacement for ncode90? yep!

CliffH
08-16-2006, 07:35 AM
I wanted a larger player's frame than my ncode90, that still had everything, so I demoed or played with a ton of frames the last 2yrs to try to get into a doubles stick that wasn't a granny stick or an antique. When all things are equal I didn't want my frame to be a disadvantage, as I have worked hard on more modern strokes, which like a larger head size IMHO.

I tried all the heads, wilsons and babolats and was disappointed, by the high stiffness, low weight, lack of feel/stability, too much power or not enough control. I have used wilson's for 30yrs but I settled on the POG OS as a temp tweener for me for the last couple of months, though I found it a bit bulky and harsh & I always hit balls high in the frame, which was much worse in that frame, so it was a constant struggle. Lead tape only slowed down my strokes and hurt my shoulder.

I wanted a lighter, .5" longer 100+ish modern player's volley stick that was solid and low powered but had feel. I have settled on the 03 tour OS, strung loose(50lbs) with my standard VS 17g/tnt2 18g hybrid that I always use. :)

Fun to play with, very low powered, solid & more stable than the 100"version, more spin & tons of control. I can take a full swing at everything and the zero margin for error that the ncode90 has is gone. I use the hard grommet and will string looser still it seems but this is a player's frame not to be overlooked if you can get used to that wierd 03 feel.

I sadly feel that my shoulder and my aging game has to bid farewell to nostalgic great feeling heavy old school 90" player's frames to accommodate the new power grips and heavy spin of todays new game. See you on the courts.

El Diablo
08-16-2006, 07:43 AM
A flexy 12.3 ounce racquet (POG OS) is a "tweener"? 'Tween what and what?

Offshore
08-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Sounds like a great decision..good luck! I have never hit with the O3 Tour OS but the larger head size and string setup would seem to be a solid combo for some spin and volley play. One question, does the frame swing as heavy as its 330 swingweight (which is even higher than the nCode 90)? I am currerntly demoing the PK 7g which is fairly similar and am deciding how the 330 SW will fair during a mixed-doubles tournament I will be playing in. Thanks

Amone
08-16-2006, 08:21 AM
A flexy 12.3 ounce racquet (POG OS) is a "tweener"? 'Tween what and what?
Tween n6.1 90 and O3 tour OS, is what I think he meant.

CliffH
08-18-2006, 06:22 PM
My ncode90 was over 12.8oz & 90sq inches where the POG os at 12.0oz 107sq inches was a stepping stone for me IMHO on the way down to the much lighter 10.5oz ish, 107sq inch princeo3 tour OS.

I was unable to adapt immediately to the lighter racquets very easily, so along with the larger head size the POGos allowed me to play competetively for 6 months without looking like an idiot :) until I could function with the lighter frames,.

In fact, I got pretty good with the pog but I play 5-6 hours a day on the weekends and the POG was a little tough on me.

CliffH
08-18-2006, 06:38 PM
To answer the swingweight question: the prince tour 03 OS swings pretty heavy, probably even more than the n6.1 tour90 but is easier to hit with.

With the tour03 OS I have been able to regularly flick balls FH & BH and hit dropshots from everywhere on the court. The tour90 does all of this but only intermittently in perfect conditions, with little margin for error.

The tour 03 OS is heavy but is smooth, easy to use and at a huge 107" the size of a snowshoe - I feel I can close my eyes on shots compared to the 90" wilson. :)

lemmie
08-21-2006, 03:37 AM
That O3 Tours OS sounds very interesting.
Currently I am playing with a Hornet Tungsten MP,
which I evenly leaded up to 300 gr. strung.
It seems a bit too powerful to me, and the stiffness
of the Hornet might be a problem in the future, too.

Do you think the Tour OS would be worth trying ?

Thanks, Stefan

CliffH
08-24-2006, 10:10 AM
yes, do you play mostly on clay or hardcourt over there?

I am enjoying my 03 tour os more all the time though I think 50lbs with the 17gvs/18gtnt2 hybrid seems to be the lowest tension I can use comfortably without shortening my swing & losing control.

lemmie
08-26-2006, 11:49 PM
yep ... mostly clay.
I will for sure test the Tour OS within the next couple of days.
What do you think ?
Should I use a poly like Redcode or Cyberflash
or would Prince SynGut DF be better in this frame ?

Thanks, Stefan

CliffH
09-04-2006, 08:47 PM
I've been on vacation at the us open in new york. Watched a few tour OS users. How did the racquet test go? My strings went dead in a week while I was gone !!! It sucks.

lemmie
09-05-2006, 09:40 AM
The test racquet should come tomorrow and the weather forecast
sounds nice too for my area. :-)

Who on the tour plays OS ?

govols
09-05-2006, 09:48 AM
I've been on vacation at the us open in new york. Watched a few tour OS users. How did the racquet test go? My strings went dead in a week while I was gone !!! It sucks.

What is it strung with? Do you think it was a function of the strings or of the O-hole design?

CliffH
09-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Nicolai Davydenko world #6 and Davide Sanguinetti (sp?) both play with the tour OS though their set ups are totally different. Davide supposedly plays at about 35# tension so his strokes are sooo smooth, Nicolai is like hewitt on caffeine - a retriever with nasty counter attacks, who can't seem to close out an opponent, that is a rabbit.

I string with 17L g VS gut mains with 18g TNT2 crosses at 50#. The feel is incredible though I must admit one other poster mentioned the same thing:why does this racquet feel deader and boardier with lower tensions, I guess I will have to string up to find out though it is scary as it feels so stiff at even this tension. This setup does not usually go dead on me.

Hey, a note: I have been trying to add weight to this frame and it gets heavy very fast. Atiny bit of lead really makes a difference. Lead on the handle is terrible. At the throat is ok. will keep trying. The most tempermental frame I have tried. I will post and ask travelrjam, who loves this stuff.

CliffH
09-25-2006, 06:45 AM
hey, I just finished up a set of singles with a guy who just creamed the ball....I did not have enough control or weight in my frame and got pushed all over the place. I picked up a 03 tour mid demo I was trying, the 95sq in out of my bag and dusted him. My shoulder has mostly healed now and to play singles, I need to go back to a mid or mid plus as this frame has too much ambient power: when I swing too big, which I like to do, it is harder to control IMO than a heavier smaller more playerish frame.

Next up, the tecnifibre335 or the famous prince hybridtourITWILLBEhERESOONracquet or back to a n6.1 18x20