PDA

View Full Version : Transportation suggestion from Times Square to Flushing Meadows

chloeToh
08-16-2006, 01:45 PM
folks,

what is the best way to go from Times Square to Flushing Meadows? I will be traveling alone, a little concern about safety, so I am thinking about taxi cab - Anyone knows how much it would cost?

Thanks.

p0w3r
08-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Easiest and fastest way would be taking the 7 Express train from 42nd Street/Times Square to Shea Stadium/Willets Point. Then from there walk to the USTA center...its like a 15 minute walk. Total trip should be no more then 45min.

Not sure how much a taxi would cost..but it wouldnt be cheap and it might take longer due to traffic.

rasajadad
08-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Only way to go is the 7! You need to go one of the 42nd Street Stations on the West Side (like at Times Square or in the Port Authority Building.)

In the old days, you would sometimes see a player on the train! Now, never.

Joe Average
08-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Your best bet would be to take the 7 train. It would get you there in about an hour. You're pretty much at the Tennis Center once you get off. Just follow the crowd. A cab would cost about, I'm guessing, 15-20 times as much as the subway (about as much as a Grounds Pass). And then there's the return trip ...

The subway is reasonably safe. Nearly five million people ride it every day (weekdays). If you are concerned about safety, stay toward the front and middle of the train, where there are more riders.

p0w3r
08-17-2006, 10:10 PM
The subway is reasonably safe. Nearly five million people ride it every day (weekdays). If you are concerned about safety, stay toward the front and middle of the train, where there are more riders.
the only thing you really got to worry about are pickpockets especially when it is crowded. Just keep all your belongings in your sight and make sure of your surroundings. Other then that i would say the subway is very safe.

slewisoh
08-17-2006, 11:41 PM
We just returned from NYC and enjoyed using the subway. The cars were clean and people were happy to help you get from point A to point B. Much better than I expected.

Phil
08-17-2006, 11:48 PM
folks,

what is the best way to go from Times Square to Flushing Meadows? I will be traveling alone, a little concern about safety, so I am thinking about taxi cab - Anyone knows how much it would cost?

Thanks.

Depends on traffic and the day you're travelling...but I'd guesstimate cab fare from Times Sq. to Flushing meadows to be around $40.00 to $50.00; it will take you close to an hour to get there, too.

If you WALK to Grand C. Station (10 minutes from Times Sq.) and from there take the No. 7 (30 minutes, I think), it will cost you $2.00. You do the math.

chloeToh
08-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Feel a little better after reading all your replies. Hopefully my common sense would't let me down.

Thanks.