PDA

View Full Version : PK 7g versus FXP Prestige MP

Offshore
08-16-2006, 05:05 PM
I know that they are different lengths, swingweights, and string patterns but for some reason these are the final two frames in my longer than expected (agghh) demo process to find a frame for the next 3+ years. Thanks to Kaptain Karl I revisited the 7g and am really liking the comfort, power, slice ability, and volleying with the frame. It has a swingweight slightly higher than I would like but still it plays well for me during a long day. I still haven't found my serve with it. The FXP Prestige is lower powered, better control, nice feel. Also a smaller sweetspot, however. But I like its slightly lower swingweight and maneuverability and its "crispness". I hit a deeper ball more consistently with the 7g but I can paint some lines with the Prestige. I know, no racquet will provide everything I want...I'm just looking for any comments from fellow posters. FYI I am about a 4.5-5.0 (not at my "peak" anymore") currently in mid 40's with an all court, kind of old school type of game. Hit a slightly flat ball most of the time relative to today's big topspinners.

Has anyone given these two frames a try and have feedback? Also, string setups or other recommendations regarding how these sticks play? I will continue to hit with both for about a week before FINALLY making a decision. I like them both so its a no lose situation I hope ;). Please no other racquet recommendations as these are the finalists (no more temptations! :) ) Thanks!

Kaptain Karl
08-16-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm watching with interest. UPS is supposed to deliver my new sticks today. (This is me, waiting .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..... .... .... .... .... .... .....)

I find it notable that your top two frames are the same as mine. I look forward to your results.

- KK

Offshore
08-16-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm watching with interest. UPS is supposed to deliver my new sticks today. (This is me, waiting .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..... .... .... .... .... .... .... ..... .... .... .... .... .... .....)

I find it notable that your top two frames are the same as mine. I look forward to your results.

- KK

Good luck with your new frames! I read your review of the 7g (which is what renewed my interest...I had hit with one a while back, liked it- but never really got serious with it) but did not notice that the Prestige was also a finalist for you. I will have to dig up that thread again and check out the comments. Happy hitting; and I will be interested in your thoughts after using them for a bit. Similar to your saga, I had thought that this demo process would take only a few weeks, tops. Now its been a few months and I have probably hit with every frame in my target range; probably 15 racquets or so. Oh well...this is crunch time. :cool:

Revision: Karl, I just checked the other thread...our only difference is that you test drove the FXP Prestige XL...I am liking the MP version. Again, though, great feedback by you and others in that thread.

Rory G
08-17-2006, 05:54 AM
I hit with a 7g several months ago and thought that, contrary to others, that it did not swing too heavy. The 330 SW given its extra length seemed fair. What I really liked about the racquet was that it had a "players" feel with a "tweeners" pop...and was very comfortable on my arm. I especially grooved with it w/return of serve and my backhand. Very nice racquet IMO. I use a Vantage currently and my partner uses a PK 5g and he has not switched frames for a couple of years. The FXP Prestige I only tried for about an hour so my feedback is not that great. It felt nice, but not as comfortable as I recall the 7g being. The Prestige had much less power IMO and I did not like the dense stringbed for my game. I just came back from an Open tourney and 2 of the 4 semifinalists were using the FXP Prestige and speaking with them afterwards they both indicated that they liked the frame over the LM version. I hope that helps.

fastdunn
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Guys, I'll be waiting for more inputs since my finalists were Head FXP Prestige MP, PK Ki 5, Fischer M Speed Pro #1. Later, I dropped the PK Ki 5 becuase
I couldn't wait for TW demo order complete. Later, I chose the Head FXP
but still very interested in PK 7g or Ki 5.

Kaptain Karl
08-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Offshore, have you seen Polaris' reviews?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=113092

- KK

Offshore
08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Offshore, have you seen Polaris' reviews?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=113092

- KK

Thanks! Another great thread. Polaris touches on my only potential problem with the 7g. Will the relatively high swingweight be an issue for my arm or ability to generate racquethead speed. My shoulder does not hurt during play and I do not see any problems with the weight during about 3 hours of tennis; BUT my shoulder is slightly stiff on the following morning. I have never had any arm/shoulder problems and do not want to start now. Currently I do not see the 7g as too heavy, but I am hitting quite a bit during the next few days so I will know more by the end of the weekend.