PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Rackets These Days...

Regulator
08-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Generally, I find most of the more recent rackets very ugly looking asthetically or just overly flashy! What's wrong with a nice clean paint job without all the rainbow colours and candy paint. I realize it is all marketing but seriously, I'd be embarrassed to use some of the frames I have seen. I really don't know about that Wilson W line, I realize they are for women but damn!! Some female players I know think they are ******** as well. Since when are tennis rackets fashion accessories. I'd love to have an all black frame with minimal logos on it, however I am not repainting a racket. The closest thing I will get I guess is my PS 6.0. Just my rant. Anyone else feel the same?

Redflea
08-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Repeat after me: Marketing is the root of all evil. Marketing is the root of all evil... ;)

Mike Danger
08-16-2006, 10:56 PM
right, because theres just so much room on a stick. They really show off your personality down they? :rolleyes:

wuss...

Redflea
08-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Dang...you are dangerous, and muy macho!

Regulator
08-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Less flash more class!

spaceman_spiff
08-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Buy a Vantage. They only have two paint jobs: all black and all white, with only one logo on the throat and one listing of the website. It's pretty basic.

anirut
08-17-2006, 02:37 AM
Sometimes designers forget the old saying ... K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple, Stupid!

NO! It's not the designers! It's the MARKETERS!

One rule of marketing is: "Differentiate or Die." Yet, these marketers themselves forgot one important word in marketing, and that is: "identity".

So what they did was trying to "get attention" and almost everybody got on the same get-the-attention train. And guess what? Only those few left on the platform who have not gotten on the train got all the attention!

This is something really hard to grasp for many marketers, something I have a hard time with as a brand consultant when having to explain all this to my clients.

tennisplaya444
08-17-2006, 06:31 AM
who cares??

Janne
08-17-2006, 06:37 AM
who cares??

I do, regulator does and we are not the only ones. :P

chess9
08-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Generally, I find most of the more recent rackets very ugly looking asthetically or just overly flashy! What's wrong with a nice clean paint job without all the rainbow colours and candy paint. I realize it is all marketing but seriously, I'd be embarrassed to use some of the frames I have seen. I really don't know about that Wilson W line, I realize they are for women but damn!! Some female players I know think they are ******** as well. Since when are tennis rackets fashion accessories. I'd love to have an all black frame with minimal logos on it, however I am not repainting a racket. The closest thing I will get I guess is my PS 6.0. Just my rant. Anyone else feel the same?

Uh, DOOD! What kind of American are you? This great country was only found by CC because he caught the neon lights for the West Indies. :) Our great nation relies upon hyperbole, lies, obfuscation, gaudy colors, and all the other tricks of the advertising trade to keep this enormous engine of commerce moving forward. It is no accident that we are the world's economic leaders. Thank Madison Avenue for that.

Now, go apologize to all those folks who work so hard to bring you the world's best merchandise. Go on! :)

-Robert

Regulator
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Uh, DOOD! What kind of American are you? This great country was only found by CC because he caught the neon lights for the West Indies. :) Our great nation relies upon hyperbole, lies, obfuscation, gaudy colors, and all the other tricks of the advertising trade to keep this enormous engine of commerce moving forward. It is no accident that we are the world's economic leaders. Thank Madison Avenue for that.

Now, go apologize to all those folks who work so hard to bring you the world's best merchandise. Go on! :)

-Robert

Umm yeaaaaaaaaaah I am Canadian EH!

Regulator
08-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Never tried a Vantage, its cool that they let you custom paint ur frame. Anyone played with one of them.

El Diablo
08-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Don't blame the messenger for the message. Marketers attempt to take the pulse of the society to see what people seem to want. Just as simple black or gray cell phones, computers, music players and even cars (seen the customizing options for a Scion?) have given way to more radical designs with loud, attention-grabbing colors, so to will tennis racquets follow this trend. Welcome to the Ritalin Generation!! Marketers know that as the processors in video games and the computer-generated effects in movies continue to leapfrog themselves in their ability to over-stimulate us, products need to be more "stimulating" in order to grab out attention.

Nextman916
08-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Power angle if i must

jonolau
08-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Just concentrate on your tennis and don't let these things sidetrack you for one man's meat is another man's poison ... To counter the blazingly bright colours, put on a pair of rose-coloured shades when playing!

I do agree partly that they should just keep things simple. But in the quest for differentiation, marketers recognize that even buyers of a particular frame (the Wilson W line, for example) want to have a sense of individuality, thus the introduction of different colours.

migjam
08-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Definatley the Wilson W line. UGLY!!!

varuscelli
08-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Definatley the Wilson W line. UGLY!!!

I'm not sure if I'd call them ugly. A couple of them are bit over the top, definitely.

Regulator
08-19-2006, 03:06 PM
The W line looks like rackets designed for grandma

gb93433
08-19-2006, 05:22 PM
The posting reminds me of when I make furniture. People want to touch the furniture. The furniture is so highly polished that if they slide their fingers across the finish and there is any dust on it their hands it will create lines.

For some reason people like shiny and flashy.

migjam
08-19-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure if I'd call them ugly. A couple of them are bit over the top, definitely.

No, definatley UUUUGLY!

varuscelli
08-19-2006, 11:00 PM
No, definatley UUUUGLY!

OK, you win... ;)

Regulator
08-20-2006, 12:03 AM
This Head FXP Radical I bought is bugging me too. I don't know. I really used to like the way the original Wilson Hammer's looked and alot of other frames that came out in that era. Yup I'm 27 and on the downward slide lol. The W Line reminds me of the Sledge Hammers that the old grannies and grandpas would weild at the club I used to play at before the college tore it down and turned it into a residence(yup slightly bitter about that)