PDA

View Full Version : Broken Racquets

M1KE
08-17-2006, 08:37 AM
What do you guys do with them.... other than throw them in the trash?

POGforEver
08-17-2006, 08:39 AM
i have one hanging in my room, it's really bashed up. I did it like 5 years ago. Sad ending for a POG but oh well plenty more.

varuscelli
08-17-2006, 09:01 AM
What do you guys do with them.... other than throw them in the trash?

In the days of wooden racquets, I hear folks used to save broken racquets for the hard winter ahead and stack them in the fireplace for extra warmth.

These days, the composites would just fill up the room with toxic smoke. :(

It's a shame, too. Nothing like roasting marshmallows over a flaming bed of hot tennis racquets.

Redflea
08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Mmmmmmmmm....the smell of burning varnish, glue, resins, and other chemicals (decals, bits of trim, plastic butt cap) from a wood racquet. Oh yeah...that would be sweet! ;)

varuscelli
08-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Mmmmmmmmm....the smell of burning varnish, glue, resins, and other chemicals (decals, bits of trim, plastic butt cap) from a wood racquet. Oh yeah...that would be sweet! ;)

Er...maybe they used to strip 'em down first? :confused:

:p

10isbum
08-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Before throwing away a broken racket, I scavenge for parts in good condition, such as bumper guard, grommets, pallets especially if Head rackets, and butt caps to be used later to replace on good rackets that I run across while stringing for others. A lot of the older rackets no longer have replacement grommets sets available and using even a partial set can save me a lot of time. Those Head pallets are useful when someone purchased a used racket with the wrong grip size and we can resize. Of course when you resize, you have to use the corresponding butt cap that fits.

varuscelli
08-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Before throwing away a broken racket, I scavenge for parts in good condition, such as bumper guard, grommets, pallets especially if Head rackets, and butt caps to be used later to replace on good rackets that I run across while stringing for others. A lot of the older rackets no longer have replacement grommets sets available and using even a partial set can save me a lot of time. Those Head pallets are useful when someone purchased a used racket with the wrong grip size and we can resize. Of course when you resize, you have to use the corresponding butt cap that fits.

Oh, SURE, 10isbum...

Go ahead and spoil things with a legitimate answer. :mad:

:)