PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Ti-80 vs Yonex RDS 001 MP

tennisguy11
08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Which of these racquets offers more control? Also if anyone has hit with both frames, a comparison would be nice. Thanks

cghipp
08-17-2006, 11:32 AM
The RDS 001 MP has a little more power in my experience, and in fact I have found the power hard to control at times, but I was coming from a heavier, even more control-oriented racquet and have been having trouble getting used to slightly lighter, slightly more powerful racquets. I demoed the RDS001, thought it was the perfect racquet for me, and then bought one. A month later I decided I wasn't able to keep the ball in the court when going for a flat winner. But if you hit a lot of topspin, that won't be an issue for you.

I have really enjoyed hitting with the Ti-80 (borrowed a friend's a couple of times) and love it all around, but especially on serve and on my 1H backhand. I give the RDS001 a slight edge on serves and volleys, however. The reason I didn't get the Ti-80 was that after I hit with it the first time, I had a lot of tingling in my hand and a numb sensation, which is very bad for me because I'm prone to wrist problems. But I've been thinking about getting one anyway and trying a very arm-friendly string in it. (By the way, it was the "old" style of Ti-80 I was playing with, with an L3 grip.)

tennisguy11
08-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Anyone else?

Redflea
08-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Ti-80 was easier for me to control, RDS more comfy and larger sweetspot. Agree w/cghipp's comments...harder time keeping my shots in w/the RDS (I hit relatively flat as well), but hitting w/the RDS was more comfortable and better overall for me than w/the Ti-80.

If I had to choose one I would go w/the RDS, but both are nice.

armand
08-21-2006, 09:47 PM
I haven't tried the OO1 Mid+, but compared to my other Yonexes(OO1 90, RDX500 90) the Ti-80, with it's less pronounced isometric head shape, feels more like a traditional players racquet with better stringbed communication and better control(relative to headsize). But this also means a smaller sweetspot.

cghipp
08-30-2006, 04:29 AM
I just wanted to bring this back up to note that, after hitting with the Ti-80 for several days, the hand tingling/numbness is gone. Because this racquet is a little lighter than the one I was using before, I think I was a bit in front of the ball and hitting higher in the hoop, getting more shock/vibration. Now that I'm used to the racquet I'm finding it very comfortable. I am really enjoying this racquet!

SC in MA
08-30-2006, 05:57 AM
I just wanted to bring this back up to note that, after hitting with the Ti-80 for several days, the hand tingling/numbness is gone. Because this racquet is a little lighter than the one I was using before, I think I was a bit in front of the ball and hitting higher in the hoop, getting more shock/vibration. Now that I'm used to the racquet I'm finding it very comfortable. I am really enjoying this racquet!Thanks for the additional comments. I briefly demoed both rackets fairly recently, though at different times. I liked both and wish I could spend more time with each of them. My recollection is that the RDS001MP felt a bit more solid than the Ti-80. Could you comment on that ? Also, have you had a chance to hit the the Fischer MSpeed 98 ? Thanks for your input.

cghipp
08-30-2006, 06:19 AM
If you mean literally solid, as in not hollow, I think the RDS does probably have more of a solid feel, but I don't think there's a big difference. If you're referring to stability I think the Ti-80 feels maybe a little more stable but again, not a big difference. I think that, for me, the weight distribution of the Ti-80 fits my strokes a little more. I tend to hit pretty flat on the forehand side and use slice often on the backhand, and I am better able to keep the ball in the court with the Ti-80. I was loving my inside-out forehand return with this racquet yesterday, and I volleyed really well with it also.

I haven't tried the MSpeed 98 but, based on the specs, I think I would like it quite a bit, especially with the high flex. It may be just a little heavier than I'd like once I added an overgrip and dampener. I know the strung weight of the Ti-80 is listed as slightly higher than the MSpeed 98, but I'm using a smaller grip size (3/8 ) so it's lighter than that. If I weren't so determined to find a racquet and stick to it, I'd probably demo the MSpeed 98 anyway. As of now I'm really liking the PK Ki 5 and the Ti-80 and am going to hang out with these for a good while. (At least, as of 10:18 a.m. on Wednesday, August 30.)

monologuist
08-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the additional comments. I briefly demoed both rackets fairly recently, though at different times. I liked both and wish I could spend more time with each of them. My recollection is that the RDS001MP felt a bit more solid than the Ti-80. Could you comment on that ? Also, have you had a chance to hit the the Fischer MSpeed 98 ? Thanks for your input.

In terms of sweetspot-stability, the RDS may feel more solid since it has a bigger sweetspot....the Ti-80 has a pretty small sweetspot for a 98" racquet. But in terms of feel, the Ti-80 feels much less hollow to me. The RDS has a hollow octagonal construction....the Ti-80 has a foam-filled core that gives it a very solid feel when hitting the sweetspot, similar to a Wilson Pro Staff, and other foam-filled frames. The RDS feels more tweener-ish to me, and plays that way to me as well....I liked it better with a little lead tape added. The Ti-80 may need a touch of lead tape as well, although I'm fine with it stock. The Ti-80 is heavier, but it swings pretty fast for its weight. It has a very thin profile and cuts through the air very well. The RDS feels much chunkier swinging through the air...I find it to have less control and less direct feel of the ball.