PDA

View Full Version : An OS can improve your game

netman
08-17-2006, 05:53 PM
WARNING - Long post.

After following a number of very good OS vs. Mid threads, I decided to try an OS out once again.

For perspective, I learned on wood and played it for the first 10 years of my tennis life. So I have long stokes and can easily generate my own power. After a brief fling with a Yamaha Composite (I couldn't resist the shiny red aluminum) , I bought one of the first Prince Pro OS frames and loved it. Got 8 good years out of the PP OS until it cracked. I then played tennis off and on for a number of years, always using some form of an OS. When I got back into serious tennis about 10 years ago, I quickly moved to midplus frames and have used them every since. My main frame has been the PK 5g modified to 11.8 oz and 12 pts HL.

So after reading all these interesting OS threads, I did some research on player/tweener OS frames, which I found are getting harder to find. Luckily for me, I had a Prince Bandit OS I picked up in a trade some time ago with the intent to have one of my kids use it. But the TW Review raved about it as a player's frame and so did the user reviews and posts. However, in stock form it was way too light and head heavy for me. So into the workshop it went for some serious modding. Stuck some fishing weights inside the handle just above the butt cap and added some lead tape at 3 and 9. When all was said and done I ended up with a frame that was 10.8 oz. and 8 pts HL. Strung it fairly tight at 63 lbs and headed out to the courts.

And the verdict is.....I'm playing better tennis with the modiifed Bandit OS. Play mostly 4.0 doubles these days. All I can figure is the lighter weight and bigger head are compensating for the slower feet, slower reaction times and failing eyesight of middle age. My forehand has become a weapon, which it never was before, and my 1HBH is a money shot again. Volleys are easy again, with control and depth. The biggest gain is consistency. I don't hit as many WOW shots as I did with the PK 5g, but I hit more shots inside the court and win more points from boring old consistency, which I attribute to the added topspin I get from the open 16 x 19 string pattern. Serves have lost some raw power, but the spin I can add has once again upped consistency and greatly improved placement. Downside is poor stoke execution leads to shots into or over the back fence. And I still find myself out in front of many balls dues to the lighter weight. But that is being cured by relaxing and not trying to swing so hard, which has the added benefit of conserving precious energy for later in the match.

So am I moving back to the OS side? Not sure yet. But I can say with conviction that anyone who says an OS frame is a granny or a noob stick is someone who has not really given them a proper try. I'll post updates as I go along.

-k-

tennis_hand
08-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Agassi also uses an OS racket.

snoflewis
08-17-2006, 08:25 PM
i probably wouldn't frame as much with an OS, but that's one of the reasons why im using my midsize, to concentrate on the ball more and execute. i don't frame frequently, and i have enough power, but on those off days...i would really like an OS..

BaseLineBash
08-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Good for you, I mean game improvement is improvement period! Yes, I'm gonna plug the Prince Original Oversize(POG), this oversize racquet is very hard to grow out of no matter what level you start with it at.

newnuse
08-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Good post granny :)

What ever works for you is all good.

Personally I can't picture myself using anything larger than 98".... I hate the feel or lack of feel from a large string bed. Always have trouble placing my shots with a large head.

netman
08-18-2006, 03:00 AM
Personally I can't picture myself using anything larger than 98".... I hate the feel or lack of feel from a large string bed. Always have trouble placing my shots with a large head.

Thats how felt. But I'm finding plenty of control and feel using the Bandit OS. I think it highlights how important the stings are. Whereas I was stringing my mids in at the low end, I have the Bandit strung near the hign end.

-k-

netman
08-18-2006, 03:03 AM
i probably wouldn't frame as much with an OS, but that's one of the reasons why im using my midsize, to concentrate on the ball more and execute. i don't frame frequently, and i have enough power, but on those off days...i would really like an OS..

Yep. That is one of the reasons I'm playing better with the Bandit OS. More sweetspot to hit with. Unfortnuately, life gets in the way of tennis too often these days and I don't get but 1 - 2 trips to the court on a typical week, sometimes less. The OS is more forgiving of bad stroke timing and prep and the lighter weight allows you to catch up to the ball faster.

-k-

spt
08-18-2006, 04:01 AM
I switched to an oversize iradical a little over two years ago. It really has the feel of a midsize frame and the advantage of the bigger hitting area. Like others, my court time has decreased over the years to 1-2 times a week and the oversize frame has helped give a little more room for error. I have them weighted to over 12oz and string them tight like I am use to with smaller frames.

chess9
08-18-2006, 05:00 AM
Larger heads are very popular in England on the grass courts, I've noticed. The reason being that most of the grass courts aren't kept to Wimbledon or Queen's Club standards, so you get crazy bounces. I moved up to a 98 head to play at a few clubs and still missed quite a few balls. After hard courts, "cheap" grass is difficult.

Racquet choice is so individual, I cannot imagine why we are having this discussion for the 10,000 time, other than the fact that it will generate discussion and we all hope we might pick up THE racquet tip to move our game from 4.0 to 4.00000001. :)

Yes, not moving your feet is, IMHO, the single biggest problem most players have. Watch the pros when they miss a shot. They don't bend or they are out of position. Often they will still hit a brilliant shot when they are out of position because they are pros, and that's what confuses so many amateurs who don't have those hand/eye skills.

Finally, footwork is usually highly correlated to FITNESS. :) You know who I mean out there. So, if buying a racquet at age 40 makes you a better player, what will you do at 50? Trust me, I've hit all those milestones, including 60, and fitness is the answer, not a new racquet.

These are just the opinions of a very old jock with two small brain cells sparking in disharmony above his eyebrows. This post is worth what you paid for it. :)

-Robert

bluegrasser
08-18-2006, 05:58 AM
I'm a middle ager and back to the mp Prestige, the feel and control I get from this stick makes it a joy to play the game. Yes, I'm losing some power and racquet head speed, but my volley is staying in the court, and the feel and control I get is so sweet.

Ditto to what *chess* said, it comes down to footwork, making sure you're in position to hit the ball right. These stiff power racquets don't give me any feedback or feel for the ball.