PDA

View Full Version : Storm vs. Drive vs. AeroPro?

TripleB
08-18-2006, 10:03 AM
I'd like to hear any feedback/opinions/comments/comparisons anyone here can give on the Babolat Pure Storm, Babolat Pure Drive Standard w/Cortex, and Babolat AeroPro Drive.

Thanks.

TripleB

Ripper
08-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Orange Pure Storm all the way.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
08-18-2006, 02:06 PM
hey TripleB, this is the best feedback I can give you.

Storm- you'd probably like this the most out of the three. No arm pain at all, and a good balance of power and control. When you add grams of lead at 3 & 9 o'clock it plays even better. Definitely take this for a test drive.

Drive-obviously very stiff and thus gives arm pain. It compensates for this by giving you added juice on your serve and groundstrokes. It can be somewhat of a " cheat stick", and can hinder your development as a player. You can demo it and see how you like it, but I would only consider buying it if you have developed strokes and just need more power.

APD- very spin friendly. Plays real well if you hit with a western/semiwestern forehand, and this is the best racquet for kick serves and slice serves out wide. It isn't the best frame for hitting flat groundies or plowing through the ball, and the unusual throat will take time to get used to.

Demo all three before you make a choice. These are just my opinions what I thought about these frames you may not find the same to be true when you demo and vice versa.

All three are light frames, if your strong adding lead can make all of the racquets have added performance and feel.

onkystomper
08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
As above. Good comments.

I personally went for the storm. Better at volleys and no arm pain. APD = ouch

panic
08-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Pure Storm has nice control/power balance and groundstrokes feel really good and deep, the SW was a little high for me, so I couldn't volley that well, but it wasn't bad for sure.

TripleTennisBumB
08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Us Bens, always love us a little Storm. Especially when there is reference to the Taco Bell Border Bowl of 1946. We OnkyStomper on it if we are in a Panic in cases of a Ripper.

All inputs is appreciated.

Bottle Rocket
08-18-2006, 04:13 PM
It seems like most people who have tried them all have gone with the Storm. I don't think there has been a Storm user who has switched to the PD, but many PD users go to the Storm.

I tried them all, I demoed some of them more than once.

First of all, every single one of them is more than spin-friedly. Spin on serves and groundstrokes is as good as it gets.

I thought the APD awkward shape was a deal breaker. It makes the take back for a one-handed backhand real odd. It's a very good playing racket, just too gimmicky for me.

The Pure Drive is a great racket. It's stiff and off-center hits do hurt, but that's old news. It's an extremely powerful racket. I think it is too powerful. It takes a real wristy swing to keep a low short-ball in. It's just too powerful, you have to hit tremendous spin to keep all your shorts in. It does serve extremely well, but the word is already out there on that. I really prefer the Pure Drive Roddick over the standard, by the way. The deal breaker on the PD is the stiffness. I won't use anything other than Luxilon strings and Lux and a PD combo would kill. I sometimes play 5 days a week and I don't think I could take it.

The Pure Storm is my racket of choice. I've hit with at least 20 other rackets and nothing I have ever used has come close. Spin is great, power level is perfect (especially with Lux), control is there, the frame stiffness (64) is right where I think it ought to be, and it has an awesome paint job! It's great on short balls, volleys (although a little slow to move around, but very stabile on volleys), heavy top-spin shots, and all types of slices. Serving is great too, I don't think Babolat makes a bad serving racket.

I disagree with adding lead to the Storm. I have experimented with that many times and always end up taking it away. Taking a good hard swing at the ball with as much racket head speed as you can makes this racket shine. I think it's perfect the way it comes. I've read that the women and people on the challenger circuit using them use them in their stock form, without lead. I am with them on that.

Anyway, demo them all and see what you think. Don't take my word (or anyone else's) for it.

Also, do a search on this website... There is tons of info on this racket from the last few months.

fielders_80
08-18-2006, 05:15 PM
i ve played with all 3 of them. Pure Storm is the best out of the 3 sticks. PD is just too stiff, APD is also too stiff, but not as bad as the PD, but the aerodynamic shape turns me off. All 3 of them are good baseline sticks, very spin friendly, good power, and solid enough. But i feel none of them are good volley sticks (at least for me).

TripleB
08-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I had a chance to play with the Pure Drive Roddick this morning and within 3 games my elbow was already in pain. Obviously anything over 67 or so (stiffness) is too much for my elbow to handle....so your comments on the possibility of arm pain with the racquets is a tremendous help!!!

TripleB

Big Fed
08-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Does the Storm give you almost the same pop as the Pure Drive but less stiffness.

Bottle Rocket
08-19-2006, 11:53 AM
No... It is not as powerful.

ace of spades
08-19-2006, 03:03 PM
bottle rocket, what happened to your ps lead setup that you were raving about?
I personally think it plays better and is much more manuverable with about 15g of lead in the handle.

rosenstar
08-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I'd give up on those three and go with the the pure drive roddick. I tried all three of those, and none of them were heavy enough for me. the roddick has a great blend of power and control, and is by far the most stable racquet I've ever tried. most definitely demo it.

SHUNGO
08-19-2006, 05:11 PM
This is just my experience, I liked a lot the PD mainly its colors and cosmetic, also its developement, but was allways a problem the big power, so I had a first couple, I sold them, switched to other brand, bought again 2 PD, was not able to control them sold them again, switched and tested 2 or 3 brands, back to PD, and finally sold them switching to PS, since then, no need to switch again because the PD gives elbow and wrist injury (do not doubt it), the APD I have not played with but seems same as PD, bu the PS it is a serious pice of art and design, has a lot of technology on it, I guess that's why it is such a good racquet.

Well again, just my experience, you can see I really wanted to play the PD but the PS rules!!

Just be sure to test it and create your own opinion:D

rayu89
08-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Guys you help me too i thought that PD is much better but as I see there is more positive comments fos PS:)

TripleB
08-20-2006, 07:55 AM
I'd give up on those three and go with the the pure drive roddick. I tried all three of those, and none of them were heavy enough for me. the roddick has a great blend of power and control, and is by far the most stable racquet I've ever tried. most definitely demo it.

Playtesting the Roddick right now and it caused me arm pain 3 games into the first set.

IS THE PURE STORM THE BABOLAT THAT IS EASIEST ON THE ELBOW?

Thanks

TripleB

ace of spades
08-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Playtesting the Roddick right now and it caused me arm pain 3 games into the first set.

IS THE PURE STORM THE BABOLAT THAT IS EASIEST ON THE ELBOW?

Thanks

TripleB
it absolutely is.

TripleB
08-20-2006, 08:50 AM
I just wanted to send a quick post of thanks for all your help over the past few weeks with possible racquet/demo choices. Being active on the board again has really helped keep my mind busy (which is a great thing) since the passing of my father (July 29th).

After playing with a couple playtest racquets, using a couple racquets out of my closet, realizing my elbow is more sensitive now than it used to be, deciding I'm better off with a racquet under 11.8 ounces, and reading all your comments, I've decided to order the following four demos:

1) Yonex RDS 001 Midplus: I pulled out my RDX500 Midplus yesterday and played very well with it…anxious to see how the slightly lighter and slightly more powerful (so I've read) RDS001 will play.

2) Prince 03 White: Currently playtesting this racquet and it has added a whole new dimension to my game (volleying) and the comfort level is fantastic. Currently my favorite racquet so I'm looking forward to see how it compares to the other demos.

3) Prince 03 Tour Midplus: Hopefully a similar racquet to the Prince 03 White with a little more weight added. I know it gets a lot of mixed feeling on the board but in looking at the specs I thinks it's worth a shot.

4) Babolat Pure Storm Team: Playtested this racquet a while back and it had some flaws but I'm looking forward to trying it again now that I've started looking for a lighter and plusher feel from my racquets.

Thanks again for all your help...look for a comparison of the four in September or October.

TripleB

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
08-20-2006, 08:59 AM
out of the four you listed, I personally liked the RDS MP and Pure Storm Team.
If you want spin you might like the 03 tour.
I havn't hit with the 03 White but I've heard it's a solid tweener that is good for baseline play.