PDA

View Full Version : Smash Court 2 VS. Top Spin

ibemadskillzz
07-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Who has played both. I don't know, if I should buy both or stick with one. What are your thoughts about these games. thanks for your help and your time.

Cobra Tennis
07-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Smashcourt 2 is a really good game. I highly enjoy the PRO mode over Topspins, because I became #1 in the world quite quickly, and Smashcourt it takes forever. Also, TOPSPIN does have XBOX live (im a former world top 10 on live). Both are great games, and if you have the chance, get both.

James Brown
07-25-2004, 01:06 PM
lol, smashcourt sucks...its fun for a while because of licensing. but the game mechanics are freakin annoying. former top 10? lol congrats..i was #2 before there was those 2 idiot hackers (or call em what you want) :>

Cobra Tennis
07-25-2004, 05:35 PM
If you get used to the mechanics (it doesnt take long) no offense, the game play is good.

Coda
07-25-2004, 05:51 PM
hard decision...I have now played extensively with smashcourt and am in the first stages of my topspin career. Smashcourt has better gameplay, better player skill system and a year calender. Some will say the gameplay on smashcourt is stupid because timing is difficult, well I agree that the timing is difficult, but timing your hits is a big part of tennis. Smashcourt is much more realistic when it comes to this aspect of the game. In topspin you can hit the button whenever and still pull off a great shot, in smashcourt, you have to hit the button at the right time to get a great shot. The skill system is much better in smashcourt because there is a dash category and a stamina category, both huge parts of tennis. In topspin once you reach a certain skill level you stop growing, in smashcourt you can max out all skill categories. Even though topspin has real tournaments and their true names and sponsors which is cool, it doesn't have a calender which is also a big part of tennis in real life...something that smashcourt has. Smashcourt does have the grand slams. Makes me wonder why the programmers didn't just make up tournaments with the right surfaces and locations but with generic names to replace the real life tournaments in smashcourt. I guess these are just my general comments. I haven't really played topspin enough but at this point I would choose smashcourt.

James Brown
07-26-2004, 07:28 PM
oits not about timing, its about having to hold a button to hit a running shot..what the hell is that? plus lobs are next to useless (cant say topspin is much better in that respect) and the comp is unfair (once again topspin aint any better). for example, in topspin, its impossible to win a baseline rally with the comp, until they dropshot you and you can make an easy put away. the comp in smash court does the same thing, except when they come to net, its a btich to pass. Like, i played vs hewitt in quarters of aussie open, couldnt do anything, i schooled roddick the round before though...blah. Theres also a lack of customisation of appearance.(once again present in both games, but more so in smaschourt)

PusherMan
07-26-2004, 10:32 PM
for example, in topspin, its impossible to win a baseline rally with the comp, until they dropshot you and you can make an easy put away.

This simply isn't true. In fact, even on hard, the computer is very beatable from the baseline in topspin. Risk shots and angles, baby.

Chanchai
07-26-2004, 11:18 PM
I still play both a lot. As far as my experiences go (playing Top Spin online a lot and Smash Court with friends)... I prefer Smash Court 2.

The game just ends up playing more like real tennis imo, and you can actually have a variety of interesting games. Servers are not at an ultimate advantage, but returners are not at the insane advantage they are in Topspin (unless you use the extremes--zero power slice serve with guessing game, proper topspin serve usage on players who risk a lot without being perfect at it, and that's about it...everything else is too easy to return with an advantage).

I think both are great games. But I end up enjoying Smash Court 2 with more varied styles of games. With Topspin, the game just gets redundant for me the more I play online--win or lose. I feel like I'll either player risk shot tennis, which can be fun at times... or no-risk shot, which I prefer, but gets redundant in that game after awhile.

SC2 just has more interesting serving dynamics, risk/reward, strengths and weaknesses for both baseline and net play, and seems to follow percentages in tennis much closer than Top Spin (though both titles still need more error management imo).

I'm just hoping that future versions of these games will include much more proper (or closer to realistic) error management. I don't know if anyone will really put proper error management in a tennis game anytime soon though... :( Who needs a Federer when so many characters in tennis games play like him anyways? Either they play like Federer or a Paradorn who never ever misses.

BTW, the computer is way too easy on both games, even on their hardest modes. In Topspin, you don't even need to use risk shots or drop shots to beat the computer. You can easily out-rally the AI in general. It only makes things worse that it's horribly scripted and even tells you where it's going to serve.

-Chanchai

tennisozzy_new
07-27-2004, 02:17 AM
What really bugs me about Top Spin is the complete lack of serve- and volleyers. There aren't many in real life, but so far I've never played against any on Top Spin.

So I figured I'd create a pure SV player from scratch. Named Johnny Mac (no points for guessing the inspiration), my guy trained his way to five star volleys and serves. So I went into exhibition mode and chose to against play him as Grosjean.

Nothing happened. Johnny Mac stayed at the baseline and bashed away with his two star groundstrokes. Extremely annoying.

PusherMan
07-27-2004, 08:04 AM
What really bugs me about Top Spin is the complete lack of serve- and volleyers. There aren't many in real life, but so far I've never played against any on Top Spin.

Yeah, we all know SAMPRAS couldn't volley his way out of a paper bag! :shock:

tennisozzy_new
07-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Yeah, we all know SAMPRAS couldn't volley his way out of a paper bag! :shock:

But that's excactly my point! On Top Spin, even Sampras plays as if he's Lleyton frickin' Hewitt! He doesn't come in behind his monster serve!

GrahamIsSuper
07-27-2004, 08:21 AM
I think it'd be very difficult to program in a serve and volleyer into a video game. Think about it: in real life tennis, it can take years for someone to know when and how to come to the net and where to hit volleys, and how to hit approaches. If you tried to program all of that information into a game, you'd need 5-6 disks. If they had tried, I think you would find that the computer would just kamikaze to the net every time, and you could just lob returns and points done.

I haven't really seen a game yet where s&v is done right.

tennisozzy_new
07-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Well I don't think it's impossible to create such AI players. Make a code that makes the AI players come in behind their serves sometimes. Make them hit approach shots whenever your groundstrokes lands within the service box. Make them slice down the line and come to the net sometimes. How hard can it be?

The AI in this game is pretty unconvincing. You can tell by the computer player's position which side he's going to serve to.

They should make to playing modes on the next version: sim and arcade, like the Fifa soccer series have. In the sim version, timing on strokes should be more of a problem than it is today. And hitting down the line should have to be more difficult than it is today.

perfmode
08-25-2004, 11:08 AM
"Tennis" for the original gameboy in the gray cartridge had great serve and volley scripts. the level 4 player always comes into the net and is very effective. I mastered that game after years of playing during tournament breaks but to the average player, the opponents serve and volley is good.

CoASH
11-26-2004, 03:57 PM
topspin is no good
the ball dynamics are unrealistic - so are the angles. it's more arcade. movement are realistic AS though

smash court - balls don't get THWACKED enough...like in tennis 2k2. there are only a limited amount of paths the ball can take. drop shot looks plain weird.

splink779
11-29-2004, 03:00 PM
"In topspin once you reach a certain skill level you stop growing, in smashcourt you can max out all skill categories"

Is this true? I can only get my smashcourt player to level 50, then I stop getting experience.[/quote]