PDA

View Full Version : Flavio Saretta, his game and grip.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-19-2004, 06:55 PM
First off, look at how extreme his grip is here: http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=vdm11302150213.chile_tennis_vdm113&prov =ap

Now, let's talk bout his game. Just your run of the mill clay courter, but his forehand is awesomely insane. Huge spin and he rips it, his backhand is pretty awesome too. I love his attitude on court too, he loves the game you can tell. Hope he can put some good results together this year, I love to watch him on TV and see him just rip cause he goes for broke quite a bit.

Shaolin
02-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Dang thats seriously western, even more than mine. He could could be hitting with a continental grip for volleys on the other side of the racquet face.

I noticed his backhand was awesome, seems to be a trait of PC users if you have ever noticed that--Saretta, Chela, Vahaly, etc all have awesome BHs and use a PC.

Roddick made him look like junior out there at the US Open last year though, serious beat down, Saretta was just laughing and tossing his racquet around cause he knew it was over midway through the first set.

bfonz7
02-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Didnt he play Roddick last year at the US Open? He seemed like he was a quality player, had a good attitude...but after about a set he knew he had no shot to win and just started taking alot of risk shots and laughing at himself. I'd like to see him compete on clay tho

bfonz7
02-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Shaolin, you beat me to the punch lol

Eric Matuszewski
02-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Pure Carlos, I watched him practice at the Legg Mason in DC last year for about an hour (I was the only spectator there standing on the court a couple of feet away) and the way he was wailling the ball was inspiring.

He uses so much of his racket speed to make spin that the balls initial flight is actually kind of slow. He may be the only forehand hitter whose actually picks up speed when it hits the court. Id like to get shot spot on this one.

Hitting back this thing must be like hitting a cantaloupe. I doubt he'll win much on faster surfaces (the technique requires he hit way out in front, this takes time.) but he definitely gets honorable mention for heaviest forehand.

Oh yea, he weighs like 10 pounds wet. One rally worth of his strokes probably burns 3000 calories. Sounds like a new weight loss fad.

polakosaur
02-20-2004, 10:13 AM
he's exciting to watch, has awesome consistency and patience, if he could only use more tennis sense

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Eric, your description wants me to watch him play even more now. I just love those huge spin forehands. I hope he can put together some stuff worthy of tv coverage this year.

Eric Matuszewski
02-21-2004, 04:31 AM
Yea, USA, ESPN et al. will show you five minutes of him and then cut to an hour long "special report" of Andy Roddick cutting his toenails. Excuse me I have to vomit.

Vanja Ljubibratic
02-24-2004, 08:58 AM
I remember watching Saretta on TV when he beat Johanssohn in the first round at Wimbledon. It was an amazing five-setter, and that was the year the Johanssohn won the AO. I remember Saretta just screaming whenever he launched his body into a shot and ended up hitting an insanely good winner. THe few other times that I've seen him, he didn't seem that impressive. I don't think he has enough weapons, or at least one very good weapon to hold him with the best. Well, maybe on clay if he's in very good form at the time. But otherwise I just see him hovering around 30 or 40 in the world. We'll see if he can surprise us.

gustavo33
02-24-2004, 11:56 AM
hes getting his *** wiped by chela as we speak.... i remember i saw his racket last year in brazil open... a lot of lead in the handle and strung at 70 lbs....

Max G.
02-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Around 30 or 40 in the world - that's probably about right. That's pretty good, good enough to score a couple of nice upsets in his career, win a couple of tournaments.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-24-2004, 06:13 PM
That's a different setup from normal caly courters Gustavo33. Most got really head-heavy strung anywhere from 45 to 60 or so, but he's opposite. I love it, probably one of the reasons he hits with so much spin then because of the racquet speed he gets.

Hawaii 5.0
02-24-2004, 11:30 PM
As John Macenroe said there is a grip west of western and he dubbed it "Hawaiian" since that's west of west for the US. Thought I'd send that one out.

sdont
06-14-2010, 05:26 AM
bump..........................

You do know that you can get banned for bumping irrelevant old threads just like this one, don't you?