PDA

View Full Version : how do you make your own balance board

abiriax
07-24-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi i read in the learning centre that you can make your own balance board by using a stick and some dowell, does anyone know how?

Gaines Hillix
07-28-2004, 10:00 AM
One way to do it would be to use a scrap piece of 2X4 33" long as the base. At the half way point(16.5") nail a dowel or piece of a broom handle across the 2X4. The dowel should be about 12" long. Measure 13.5" to the left from the center point of where the dowel is mounted and make a mark. This is where the butt end of the frame will be aligned to measure how many points head light or heavy it is. For 2" on each side of this main mark make a smaller mark every 1/8". You could number these if you wanted to starting with 1 through 16. To determine how many points head light a racquet is you would start by placing the racquet on the beam with the butt end aligned with the main mark and the throat of the racquet on the dowel. The butt end will go down and the head will go up(the head 1/2 of the frame is lighter than the handle). Now move the racquet to the right until it balances on the dowel. Look down the butt of the racquet to determine which mark it is now aligned with. If it is at the #8 mark, that means it is 8 points head light. For a Hammer and similar racquets this would be reversed because they are head heavy.

Rackethead
08-09-2004, 07:49 AM
I just use my aikido bo and a metal yardstick. All you have to do is find out where the racket balances, and measure it from one end. Then measure the total length of the racket. Then calculate how head light it is (it is 1 pt headlight for each 1/8 in the balance point is closer to the butt from the center)