PDA

View Full Version : Great serving racquet other than PS 6.0 85

ryptonite
08-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Looking for something that is great for serving BUT really low powered for groundstrokes.

Love the PS 6.0 85 and may just stick with it but want something with a slightly larger head and bigger sweet spot.

Tried the Diablo mid but was generally too powerful for groundstrokes. Great for serves and volleys though. PS I have two almost brand new 4 3/8 that I am willing to trade/sell...

Thinking of:
Kennex Type C heritage
Dunlop 200G
Fischer Mspeed

jonolau
08-19-2006, 08:20 AM
You can also add the Volkl DNX10 mid onto your demo list.

mshinde
08-19-2006, 09:10 AM
RDS001 Mid, plays larger than 90' and good on serves.

Davai
08-19-2006, 01:30 PM
The LM Prestige Mid is great for serving but beware that for groundies it's completly unsuitable. You can sometimes get away with that fact if you are a flat hitter but if you want to hit topspin you will have a big challenge. I have also found the I.Prestige MP to have decent serves, not as good as the LM mid though, and excellent ground strokes - unfortunately I couldn't adjust to the head size. Shoot me an email if you have a chance I might have a frame for you purecontrol88@yahoo.com

morten
08-19-2006, 01:57 PM
flexpoint 93 is great, closest to the 85 imo.

snoflewis
08-19-2006, 02:33 PM
RDS001 Mid, plays larger than 90' and good on serves.

i also found the rds001 mid to be pretty good w/ serves. PC600 apparently is really good as well, although it was too flexible for my taste

pchoi04
08-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Why not get a PS 6.0 95?

meh
08-19-2006, 04:10 PM
PS 6.1 is a monster on serves, but it won't meet your groundstrokes requirement.

rosenstar
08-19-2006, 04:42 PM
If u want something with the same flexible feel, just a little bit lighter, I'd recommend the wilson nblade.

PrestigeClassic
08-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Looking for something that is great for serving BUT really low powered for groundstrokes.

Love the PS 6.0 85 and may just stick with it but want something with a slightly larger head and bigger sweet spot.

Tried the Diablo mid but was generally too powerful for groundstrokes. Great for serves and volleys though. PS I have two almost brand new 4 3/8 that I am willing to trade/sell...

Thinking of:
Kennex Type C heritage
Dunlop 200G
Fischer Mspeed

Your first line quite well describes the 6.0 85! As for other frames, have you tried the Wilson Tour 90? Head Prestige Classic? There's also the i.prestige Mid/Midplus, which have a feel like that of the 6.0 85.

skraggle
08-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Ryptonite, you already named the second-best serving racquet (behind, of course, the PS 85) I've ever tried, and believe me, I've tried them all. The PK Heritage Type C just cranks the ball, though not quite as good with spin. But when you're blasting them by people, that isn't such a big deal...even though I don't play them much anymore, I'll never sell my set.

Other great serving sticks:
Volkl Tour 10 MP
LM Prestige mid
HPS 6.1

anirut
08-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Volkl Tour 10VE Mid. Pretty darn good for serves. Low power on groundies as you'd've liked.

BreakPoint
08-19-2006, 11:54 PM
I second PC's suggestion of the i.prestige Mid. The LM Prestige Mid might also be worth a try.

jace112
08-20-2006, 03:29 AM
Why not giving a Prestige Classic 600 a try? I find it better on groundstroke than the PS85, and it's a great serving frame too. If it's still underpowered, follow BreakPoint & PrestigeClassic and use a LM or i.Prestige Mid. And last proposal: DNX10 Mid

Punisha
08-20-2006, 03:46 AM
the 95 inch frame ncode. n6.1 95 or something >< beast for plowing the ball

ryptonite
08-20-2006, 04:36 AM
To be honest the main reason I'm not using the PS 6.0 85 is because I feel that small head is a little bit of a disadvantage..I know people debate it on this forum a lot....I think it is important fact that no pros use this racquet anymore. Yes..I am not a pro but I do think a little more head size will be useful on service returns. Ironically, I think the very reason the PS 6.0 feels so great is BECAUSE of its 85 inch head and heavy weight....power from the weight, control from the headsize, and swings through the air like a knife because of the headsize.

When i played with the 85 I wasn't missing the sweetspot anymore than my prince nxg mids.

I like the idea of a PS 6.0 90...or an iprestige mid.

How do I get hold of some new iprestige mids?

ryptonite
08-20-2006, 04:42 AM
Skraggle...why don't you use your PK Heritage Type C racquets anymore?

I read in the TW review of the nxg that the PK type C and the nxg mid are very similar. But the nxg mid is just OK for serving, and its a lot more flexible than the PS 6.0 85. I have been interested in the PK type C 93/98 but don't want to buy an nxg mid clone as I already have a couple of nxg mids (which I might lead up to improve serving/volleying performance).

Nblade
08-20-2006, 04:50 AM
the wilson nblade is quite steady on the serves and nice on the groundstrokes. i recommend trying this racket.

ryptonite
08-20-2006, 05:06 AM
Whats the redondo C like for serving...I've heard people say its as good as a prestige classic?

BreakPoint
08-20-2006, 10:23 AM
I like the idea of a PS 6.0 90...or an iprestige mid.

Do you mean the PS 6.0 95? Because the PS 6.0 90 does not exist (or at least is not available to the general public), but it's the racquet that I, and many others here, have been begging Wilson to make (or make available) for many years.

War, Safin!
08-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Thinking of:
Kennex Type C heritage
Dunlop 200G
Fischer Mspeed
IMO, Wilson NCode N-Six-One Tour90 or if you can still get hold of one, Wilson Prostaff Tour90 are good serving racquets and also good for full, follow-through groundies.
I would have also added the Head Ptesige Classic 600, but although I feel I serve better with this than the above two, the groundstrokes are really hard to control (for me anyway!).
So, overall for pure serving, I'd go with the Prestige, no question....

El Diablo
08-20-2006, 12:18 PM
So much nostalgia for the old racquets here! One reason Roddick serves so well is the Pure Drive+....best serving stick I've ever hit with, though I liked very little else about it. The original Surge and Surge+ (they of the carnival paint job) were also big serving sticks.

War, Safin!
08-20-2006, 12:26 PM
So much nostalgia for the old racquets here! One reason Roddick serves so well is the Pure Drive+....best serving stick I've ever hit with, though I liked very little else about it. The original Surge and Surge+ (they of the carnival paint job) were also big serving sticks.
True - I can really bag with the Pure Drive Team+ but it's so damn light, my elbow feels shredded after an hour.
Also, I tend to get really carried away with it's power too...

Nextman916
08-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I dont know about you, but the O3 tour is the best raquet ive ever served with. I hate everything else about the raquet but the O3 grommets really generate alot of power and precision. My usual serve is steadily around 90, its been recorded at 107 in match, but ive prolly got around 110 before in practice. I can honestly say with the O3 i was above a hundred every serve, and i felt i could the accuracy for me was pin point.

BreakPoint
08-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I dont know about you, but the O3 tour is the best raquet ive ever served with. I hate everything else about the raquet but the O3 grommets really generate alot of power and precision. My usual serve is steadily around 90, its been recorded at 107 in match, but ive prolly got around 110 before in practice. I can honestly say with the O3 i was above a hundred every serve, and i felt i could the accuracy for me was pin point.

Are you talking about the O3 Tour Mid, MidPlus or OS?

Because I've only tried the MidPlus and I thought it served very poorly. Slice serves were OK, but I could not hit a flat bomb with it at all. I thought the serve was the weakest thing about the racquet as groundies were OK, not great but OK.

ollinger
08-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Amen...I thought the 03 Tour (100) was as wretched a serving racquet as I've tried...just couldn't figure out how to hit a decent serve with it. A number of posts have echoed this complaint.
________
Prilosec Sickness (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

slice bh compliment
08-20-2006, 03:11 PM
You can also add the Volkl DNX10 mid onto your demo list.

Yes. And also the midplus.

I think I hit my biggest serves ever with that PUMA Becker Pro and the Estusa version of it, too. Beastly. Felt like Boris himself at times.

EDIT: I thought I would add the old red Volkl TC 25 and C10 COMP to this list. And also the Head Prestige Classic. You could just kill the serve with those...and spin it well too.

Come to think of it, I liked the red Babolat Pure Control a lot for the serves and the groundstrokes. Not as much feel on slices or up at the net as a Volkl or a Prestige, but a damn good racquet, I think.

Nextman916
08-20-2006, 03:24 PM
It was midsize, are you guys serious? My serves were flawless with it, the only other raquet i got hit more pace with was the pure drive roddick, however alot of mine landed kept landing out by a couple inches. I couldve corrected it but i disliked the raquet as well, so i never gave it time.

My serve style is somewhat different, but nothing out of the ordinary. I start my feet very close together like roddick which i feel gives me more lunge.

skraggle
08-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Skraggle...why don't you use your PK Heritage Type C racquets anymore?

I read in the TW review of the nxg that the PK type C and the nxg mid are very similar. But the nxg mid is just OK for serving, and its a lot more flexible than the PS 6.0 85. I have been interested in the PK type C 93/98 but don't want to buy an nxg mid clone as I already have a couple of nxg mids (which I might lead up to improve serving/volleying performance).

First off, I owned an NXG mid and I have no idea how they could think they were similar. Did not like that stick at all.

The reason for putting the Type C sticks on the shelf is that I fell in love with the M-Fil 200. For me, it's the best all-court racquet I've ever tried.

And I have to say that I wasn't a big fan of the 03 Tour for serving, either. Probably less feel and feedback than any other stick I've tried...

slice bh compliment
08-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Oh yeah, the Dunlop 200s are big serving sticks, in my opinion. Same with that nice heavy Wilson N-six-one 90 and 95.

This cat I hit with uses the 90s with the cheapest crap string (PSG or something like it). I hit with it for five minutes (not my style), but MAN, it felt strong on the serves.

ryptonite
08-20-2006, 08:59 PM
The more I think about it....the more I'm inclined to just stick with either my nxg mid or pro staff 85.

The point is my serve is decent with the nxg and better with the pro staff 85.

If I need more power with the nxg I will just add some lead or lower the tension. And to be honest the nxg doesn't really have any weak points its OK in every area...thats what you want from a racquet I guess. I'm sure if you gave goran or Pete sampras an nxg mid they would still have a great serve after practicing and customising the frame...

No racquet is going to suddenly raise my game..the only thing that will do that is practice and some heavy fitness training...