PDA

View Full Version : differences of rubberband and dampener?

Lleyton Hewitt
08-19-2006, 10:56 AM
what are the differences? does the dampener (yonex one) add more weight than the rubberband? also which one is easier on the arm...tranfers less shock to the arm.

vinnier6
08-19-2006, 01:32 PM
rubberbands dont fly off...

Kevo
08-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Dampeners don't really reduce shock. Their main purpose is to quiet string vibration. It helps you get a better feel on ball impact. The don't really absorb that much impact, although the more weight you add to the frame the less shock you would feel at impact, so it would help some tiny amount. The weight difference is probably very minor. Possibly a gram or two.

snoflewis
08-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Dampeners don't really reduce shock. Their main purpose is to quiet string vibration. It helps you get a better feel on ball impact. The don't really absorb that much impact, although the more weight you add to the frame the less shock you would feel at impact, so it would help some tiny amount. The weight difference is probably very minor. Possibly a gram or two.

i agree that it helps a small amount. on my rds001 strung w/ full syn gut, you can feel a slight vibration on they handle when the ball is bounced on the strings, thus on impact during a shot. however, w/ the addition of a vibration stopper dampener, the vibration is almost gone...

Lleyton Hewitt
08-19-2006, 04:01 PM
i heard a rubberband is better than a dampener because it doesnt transfer as much shock to the arm so it is easier on it.....well its what i;ve heard so im giving rubberband a try.

Kevo
08-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Shock is the force of impact of the ball on the strings. This is what gives you that jolt that can cause pain in the joints. The vibration after the impact is what a dampener limits. It changes the way the impact feels, but doesn't really limit the initial jolt. Think of the racquet as tuning fork. When you hit the tuning fork there is an initial jolt. That jolt creates vibrations that continue to hang around after the impact. Those vibrations produce the sound of the tuning fork. If you put a rubber band on the tuning fork, you could still get a jolt when you tapped it on something, but that residual vibration and the resulting sound would be reduced to practically nothing. That would mean that you would have a truer perception of the initial jolt with no extra vibration to interfere with the feeling of the initial impact. That's what the vibration dampener does for you. It gives you a truer feel of the impact. This is very useful for some setups because that extra vibration can mask how well or poorly you are striking the ball. Then again, with some string setups it might be better to forgo the dampener. I tend to use one whenever I am playing poly strings, and go without when I am using some of the better multis.

Nine'
08-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Totally agree with Kevo, a vibration dampener is not a shock absorber. Ever since I started using a full-poly job on my Diablo it has made a really loud and annoying pinging sound that I could feel down to the handle. All that tying a rubberband around the four middle mains did is get rid of the pinging and vibrations so that it makes a satisfying pop. What it doesn't do is make it more comfortable, it's just as jarring on off-center hits whether I have it or not.

Nextman916
08-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Is there a guide somewhere with pics that shows how to apply a rubberband dampener? I googled and nothing came up....maybe someone can tell me how to do it here? It shouldnt be that hard.

Dan007
08-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Dampeners take a lot of feel away, but rubberbands don't as much.

Revman
08-20-2006, 11:58 AM

Absolutely true. Rubberbands also add less weight and don't fly off the racquet.

Nextman916
08-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Please anyone? i really want to know how to do this.

Kevo
08-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Try a search. There have been multiple methods posted for tying rubber bands. Almost anything that keeps it on the strings will be effective. The simplest way is to just wrap the band around the center mains a couple of times and tie a knot.

tennis_hand
08-20-2006, 04:59 PM

True. I compared the difference in feeling. With a damper like the nTrap, the racket feels so stiff. I don't feel much of the ball contact when I hit. So now I am just using the rubber band. It feels better. Probably the rubber bands are not as effective as the dampers, but they don't come off after heavy or off center hits and most importantly provides better feeling.

come on. Federer does not even use a damper. :)

tennisfan
08-21-2006, 12:55 PM
I use rubber bands and they work great. I have been putting mine on a particular way if you want to try it. I cut the band so I have one long piece. I loop it over the bottom center cross and then I have two ends like shoe laces. Then I go around the two mains making "x" s until I have three or four crosses then I tie the ends together and clip off most of the extra. Works great, never comes off and doesn't interfer with the ball.

patrick922
08-26-2006, 05:54 PM
really not much of a difference ... think of the rubberband as a cheaper option.
but really it feels the same

Nblade
08-27-2006, 06:35 AM
how do you put a rubberband onto the strings??? i have no idea is there a special way???
ok then i will

vinnier6
08-27-2006, 06:50 AM
do a search for agassi rubberband....

ace of spades
08-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Take the rubber band and tie loop (not a knowt, its the step before you make the knot) around the center two main strings. Then take the two ends of the rubber band and put one end over the 1st cross and the other under the 1st cross and then tie those two ends together. You then have a knot that is securely around the first cross and the 2 main strings and the two ends of the band are horozontal and paralell to the crosses.
Its hard to explain.

thursdayisgod
08-30-2006, 08:06 AM
I'd recommend try a rubber band first. I tried it a while ago and it felt like I had absolutely no vibration dampening at all, I hated it. Now I'm playing with the Wilson Wurm which I'd highly recommend as the best dampener there is, or the Technifibre one with the red inside and clear outside.

jlspeed29
08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
dude seriously,
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=42251
if you scrolled down this SAME page... you would of easily found this...
your welcome