PDA

View Full Version : 2 Broken Prince Ultralites - Please Help

Bmr
08-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

Recently, the frame broke on one of my Prince Titanium Ultralite Longbody OS rackets. I didn't think too much of it until my other Ultralite broke in the EXACT same place.

A crack started forming on the side of the racket (just on the lower portion of the grommet) and then a few games/serves later, the whole racket snaps.

Do you think this is a racquet flaw or a stringing flaw? I always get them strung at 55; the recommended is 55 +/-5 (Sport Chalet)

Here is a link to where you can see a picture of it:

http://www.dyddcapital.com/bmw/tennis.jpg

Any info appreciated!

newnuse
08-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi all,

Recently, the frame broke on one of my Prince Titanium Ultralite Longbody OS rackets. I didn't think too much of it until my other Ultralite broke in the EXACT same place.

A crack started forming on the side of the racket (just on the lower portion of the grommet) and then a few games/serves later, the whole racket snaps.

Do you think this is a racquet flaw or a stringing flaw? I always get them strung at 55; the recommended is 55 +/-5 (Sport Chalet)

Here is a link to where you can see a picture of it:

http://www.dyddcapital.com/bmw/tennis.jpg

Any info appreciated!

How many times did you string it?

Those guys at Sport Chalet are not exactly pros at stringing from what I've seen. Is there a clamp mark at that location? I wouldn't be surprised if he tightened it too tight and damaged the frame.

You might get a defective racket but 2 with the same defect is not likely.

Bmr
08-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Got one of them strung 1 time prior, which ended up being okay until the strings broke..then I got them both strung at Sport Chalet ....so 1 racquet strung once, the other twice....

I'm not sure if there was a clamp mark...I checked when they did the second one, maybe just overlooked it.

Do you think I can get anything from Prince on it, or would my best bet be to talk to Sport Chalet? I'm freakin *@#* off about this.

newnuse
08-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Did you buy the 2 rackets from Sport Chalet?

Sounds like you purchased them fairly recently. If you bought them from SC, I would take it back and complain. They are pretty good at taking stuff back.

Heck if you didn't, try to take it back to them and complain about the string job breaking the racket. Large retailers are easy to deal with.

If that fails, Prince will take care of you... it's just more of a pain dealing with them than the local sports store.

2 fairly new rackets breaking in the same place leads makes me think...it's either
- a design flaw ... highly unlikely since this would show up in all their rackets
- a defective racket.... 2 in the same spot.... unlikely
- some zit face teenager who took a 2 hour class on how to string rackets a day prior to stringing yours...... likely

guitarplayer
08-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Those were horrible and cheaply made frames. How do you think they got them so light? Those frames are so thin. Prince stopped making them fast after all the returns.

Bmr
08-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

There is a funny store behind me buying these rackets. I used to use Prince Graphite II Oversize some 10 odd years ago. I demo-ed my friend's wife's racket and it happened to be a Prince Thunder Ultralite Longbody. The racquet is extremely light but generates great power and control, perfectly fit to my game compared to all the racquets i've used. A year ago they had them on sale at Big5 on Clearance, so I bought two of them.

Now you can only find them on e-bay, actually I see a couple on there right now going for 99.99, which is decent.

The frames are very thin, especially compared with a few of the racquets I was demo-ing this week. I tend to hit the ball pretty hard and with a lot of pace, so maybe that accelerated the frame damage? Too bad, I love those racquets..

gb93433
08-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Most any company would like to get poorly made racquets off the market and replaced with something better.

usfferjenn
08-07-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm kind of worried now after seeing this... I just dropped my prince nx graphite racket off at sport chalet to be strung yesterday. I'm debating whether or not I should just pick my racket up today and take it somewhere else. Has anyone else had this issue there?

maruzo
10-03-2011, 03:43 PM
These are awesome rackets indeed. Light and powerful, and very maneuverable. The downside is control. If you don't pay attention you can hit it 6 feet away from baseline easily.

I would recommend using more top spin to control the shots.

maruzo
10-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Hi BMR, do you still have those 2 broken Prince Ultralite Titanium? If so, would you like to sell them to me?

My email is kuikuisan499@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Theo

maruzo
11-18-2011, 05:47 PM
bump, bump, bump!!

Steve Huff
11-18-2011, 06:55 PM
The UltraLites were new about 10 years ago. When Prince stopped making them, I'm sure they sold the license to reproduce them to Big 5. It happens all the time. After a company has moved on to another technology, they sell the rights to basically copy their old technology. Often, the specs are not the same as the original model. Sometimes, they combine technology that original didn't even have. I've seen Prince Triple Threat ThunderBolts. The "Triple Threat" weighting wasn't even available when the ThunderBolts were produced. The Prince TT Rip was another racket that was reproduced. I'm sure Wilson and Head do the same thing. Big 5, Dicks, Sports Authority are the main big chains that sell enough volume that its profitable to buy the rights to remarket the outgoing technology. The average consumer has no clue. All they know is this is a racket that originally sold for $200, and is now $69. Your UltraLite is probably not made or sold through Prince USA. Take it back to Big 5.

maruzo
11-18-2011, 09:51 PM
I did check out big5 for the ultralite. They came out with a slightly different model called the TT Ultralite. The paintjob's different, and unfortunately, so are the grommets.

No luck there. :(