PDA

View Full Version : Fairly new player raquet question

dubleon
08-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

I am a fairly new player and am enjoying it all immensely. At the moment I have a Wilson Hyper Hammer 4.3 which I have had restrung with Tecnifibre synthetic strings and was wondering if a newer racquet would make it easier to improve my game (I take lessons once a week)?

I hope this makes sense and thanks for any help,

Leon

Nar57981
08-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Moving up to a new raquet (even ones around $100, like Head LM) would help improve your game. For me, before I really started playing I had an old raquet, and getting the new one pushed my game up that extra knoch I needed to compete.
Strings don't matter that much if the raquet itself is unconfortable, unstable, and not what you need to excell

dubleon
08-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Sounds intersting,maybe I should try my local shop for some trial racquets . I looked at some of the latest Babolat range and they seem really nice pieces of kit. Would you say that my current racquet is classed as powerfull/light/heavy (its strung @ 55lbs)? I wouldnt mind somethign similar power wise. Then I guess its on to strings!Haha, I really can see this tennis thing becoming a serious addiction !!

Steve H.
08-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Your HH 4.3 is a classic Hammer, light, head-heavy, stiff, and more oriented to power than control. Good way to get tennis elbow, and you won't learn to take long, smooth strokes -- you'd be better off with something more substantial and evenly balanced or a few points head-light. By all means try some other frames.

Starwind
08-19-2006, 08:50 PM
You need to switch to a Pro Staff 6.0. or racquet with the smallest head you can find. You will hit the ball cleanly and be club champ. If u can't find the pro staff, use a ping pong paddle or something.

dubleon
08-23-2006, 02:34 PM
ah seems a couple of replys are missing from this thread!! To the fellow Brit who posted before I am around the Reading/Oxford area and *** seems miles away. I'll try and ring their number for demos though. Know anywhere else anyone? What do y'all think I should try out? The Pure Storm is on the top of my list

thanks