PDA

View Full Version : New Racquet (without demo)

300Gkid
08-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Ok, i ordered a few demos but they werent going to come in until after school started and i knew i would be too busy then so i've decided to "buy blind". As i've stated before i am 14 yrs old and weigh about 100 lbs and so my upperbody strength is little to none. Coming from the 300G i want more power (so i can get decent pace without killing myself) bigger sweetspot (so i dont have to hit it perfect to get it over) more stability (so i dont get pushed around at net, must be rock solid) but want it to make my game better but still help me improve (dont want a "cheat stick). Something in the 10.5-11.5 range, i havent had arm problems in the past except for one thing with the wrist so stiffness shouldnt be an issue. As I said i dont want something ridiculously heavy so i'd say the highest swingweight it could be would be 330 and thats pushin it. The 10 racquets i was looking at in order of most interested to least are

Babolat Pure Storm
Yonex RDS 003
Babolat Aeropro Drive
Volkl DNX 8
Technifibre Tflash 290
Babolat Pure Drive Cortex
Dunlop M-fil 300
Wilson Npro Open
Prince 03 White\
Head FXP Instinct

OR just ordering a Vantage made to my specs

What do you think?

Nar57981
08-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Personally I like the TFlash 290, my dad has been trying one out and it is amasingly solid, sweat spot is good, and everything. In my expeiriance with Babalots, you hit the ball...miss the sweet spot...miss the sweet spot...then you hit the sweet spot and the ball sails -_-, not very good. The new HEAD racquets have a feal of their own, so you'd have to try them (I tried a Radical and hated it, even though i have a LM Radical), The prince white doesn't have that much power, so I don't think you'd want that. I've tried the Wilson, and found nothing very special about it.
I've yet to try Dunlop (I've heard its the best for the price), the Yonex, or the Volkl
Anyway I'd say never to buy blind (always a bad idea). Is there no proshops around you?

ace of spades
08-19-2006, 08:29 PM
cant go wrong with the pure storm, its nice

bertrevert
08-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Doesn't Nadal use the Aeropro Drive? I'd say his upper body strength is so obvious that based on that alone it tells you something about that racquet as a choice - you'd either have to work out, or perhaps leave this one out.

I use the Yonex RDS 003 myself but based on what you say would not recommend it to you. It's got some heft. You'd also have to like the head shape because it is quite different.

I've used the Pure Drives in the past, good for baseline stuff.

Bit of background: I left the 300g 2 years ago (after adding a lot of lead) and went to Head LM Rad MP, but have moved back to the Yonex for the spin in the 16x19 stringbed. It's what was missing and what I needed.

What do you feel you are lacking in your game, what do you hope the racquet might aid you with?

Have a look at
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-PSTRM.html

300Gkid
08-20-2006, 09:15 AM
well i get pushed around at net, and cant handle hard passing shots. I also need some more power, it takes a ton of effort to hit a winner right now.

300Gkid
08-20-2006, 09:21 AM
im thinking about getting a vantage (i know there ridiculously expensive but i would try the sponsorship program. Since the specs are unstrung wouldn't the balance change when the strings are put in, and by how many points?

saqdeez
08-20-2006, 09:24 AM
DNx 9 is amazing! I honestly demoed atleast 10 rackets and this is the best combination all around. And it is the best racket i have ever used at the net. Volleys, half volleys, angles, touch shots, incredible.

300Gkid
08-20-2006, 01:14 PM
the DNX 9 seems a bit heavy for me?

saqdeez
08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
No way, it is extremely light. I have hit with a nsix1 95, radical tour, lm radical, and it feels considerably- lighter than them all. The reason i like it is because i can whip through shots and am so quick with it at the net.

In fact it is more maneuverable than the dnx8. Trust me...The specs dont always translate.

andyroddick's mojo
08-20-2006, 01:37 PM
out of these rackets, check which rackets already have a review, and see which ones score highest in the areas you are looking for. for example, i know the prince 03 white isn't high in all areas, but the flexpoint instinct is a pretty good all around racket that's not too heavy. also read the customer reviews and narrow it down from there.

onkystomper
08-20-2006, 01:40 PM
I personally use a pure storm. Really nice especially with a litle exra weight on the handle!

The RDS 003 is a nice racket too. Depends if you like the feeling of the babolat woofer system or something a bit crisper

bertrevert
08-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Yes you know the RDS 003 does remind me of that Bab woofer system - not as muted as that but yes similar. The RDS 003 has these so-called "soft grommets" - http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ractechpage.html?PCODE=RDS003 - which are a bit similar.

Anyway theres's some good advice in this thread. With a bit of research into tester's assessments, general feedback, and searching this forum you should be able to get a good idea of many a racquet. I read a lot here and it narrows down what I have to demo at any one time. So much so that I can practically walk into a shop and know what I want (though I still demo a little). I really hope you can make a good move fromthe 300g because it will be worht it.

AJK1
08-20-2006, 04:58 PM
From what you have described i would suggest the new Wilson nPro Open. My coach has one and he says it is awesome.

retroceso
08-20-2006, 05:05 PM
i blind bought the yonex rds 003, loved it. i use that instead of my n6.1 95 18x20. plus the yonex dampeners are really cool

erw325
08-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Saqdeez, are you sure the DNX 9 is more manueverable than DNX 8? DNX 9 weight is heavier by 0.5 ounce.

Steve H.
08-20-2006, 05:36 PM
It sounds like your 300G is just underpowered for you -- the easiest way to get more power and stability is with a bigger head size and a bit more swingweight. Maybe consider getting a 102-105 head size? Of your list, the T-flash 290 would probably give you the best step up in power and stability, other good frames in that category include the Volkl V1 and the RDX300 super MP. If you're buying blind, I'd agree with Nar57981, get the 290. For a little more power, string it with a multi a few pounds below mid tension.