PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters' PureDrivalgia

ollinger
08-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Another player using a very stiff racquet sidelined again with arm (wrist) problems. Is there a lesson here for the weekend warrior? A friend of mine got his Aeropro Drive a few months ago and his wrist problems have begun.
________
Vaporizer Volcano (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

ashpookie
08-20-2006, 11:37 AM
What are you talking about?

migjam
08-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Another player using a very stiff racquet sidelined again with arm (wrist) problems. Is there a lesson here for the weekend warrior? A friend of mine got his Aeropro Drive a few months ago and his wrist problems have begun.

It has nothing to do with her racquet. She fell on her wrist during her match.

mary fierce
08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Associated Press reports she had the wrist taped because it was bothering her AND THEN fell on it during the match.

Mr.Federer
08-20-2006, 02:27 PM
It has nothing to do with her racquet. She fell on her wrist during her match.

Her wrist was ALREADY injured when she fell, the fall just added assault to the injury. But I don't know, maybe the racket has something to do with the wrist problems...remember her wrist problems date back to 2004.

Richie Rich
08-20-2006, 03:14 PM
who knows how much is due to the racquet or how much a pro, like Kim, has stressed the tensons and muscles on her wrist by playing and practicing almost every day since they were a little kid?

Bottle Rocket
08-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Isn't it her left wrist? :confused:

migjam
08-20-2006, 06:35 PM
the fall just added assault to the injury.

The fall is whats keeping her out of the US Open, so it did more than add assault to the injury.

Isn't it her left wrist? :confused:

Yes, it is her left wrist that she fell on and injured.

skuludo
08-25-2006, 01:46 PM
By the way she is right handed.

Return_Ace
08-25-2006, 01:52 PM
nice logics by ppl there :rolleyes: :)

but then, couldn't we also say that "Hammer" rackets a la *some ncode racket/forget name* is bad (which we've all said before) + venus williams pulling out (wrist as well) = proof ?

+ yes, i know it doesn't make too much sense... but it's late and i can't think straight.

slice bh compliment
08-25-2006, 02:40 PM
It is a first-class conspiracy. It's mastermind: Pierre Babolat.

Please.

I do not use a Babolat. If i did it would be the Pure Control. But please. It is not the racquet.

skuludo
08-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Since she is right handed the right hand should be the side that wears out first.

I do not think it is the racket.

Dunlopkid
08-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah, she probably simply has a genetic tendency to weaker wrists or something. Pros have such good technique and conditoning regimes, that the racket probably didn't really hurt her.

Roforot
08-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Since she is right handed the right hand should be the side that wears out first.

I do not think it is the racket.

She uses Left hand and wrist while hitting her 2 handed backhand. Fish had a similar injury though his racquet is not a babolat.
I have heard (perhaps in jest) that she was recently favoring a slice bh b/c of her wrist pain. I do not know which wrist was injured a few years ago.

BTW, I did a stupid thing. I added a Babolat OS to my demo list to get the 10$ discount, and I actually took some serves with it. Should have left it in the bloody box; like that movie ,Napoleon dynamite, "STOOPID"...at least my wrist mostly recovered w/ just a day of rest.

El Diablo
08-27-2006, 08:27 AM
It's funny how defensive people are about Babolat. For several years we've seen countless reports on this board from people who tried the Pure Drive and had to stop due to elbow and/or wrist problems. Many of them reported the problem stopped as soon as they switched to a less rigid frame. Only a fool could see all of this as mere coincidence, yet people write "it's not the racquet" with incomprehensible certitude. Well, it's not technique since so many of these people (self included) found the problem disappeared with different racquets. It makes perfect sense that an extremely rigid racquet transmits more of the trauma to your joints. Not everyone develops problems with the Pure Drive, just as not everyone seems to get cancer from cigarettes, but it's silly to suggest that either does not increase one's risks.

Ashton
08-27-2006, 03:39 PM
don do drugs

skuludo
08-29-2006, 02:06 AM
I've had no problems hitting with the racket. Use pd team + .

string poly

My forehand finish sometimes hits my left elbow (Pretty fast swing collision). (Right handed)

I continue hitting my two handed backhand and the pain goes away every time.

chungthomas
08-29-2006, 09:20 PM
You can't always blame your racquet people! Consider the power game that is played nowadays, especially with the players now using their wrists to generate that little bit of extra pace (look at Justine H-H for an extreme example), it is not hard to understand why players get wrist injuries so easily!

slice bh compliment
08-29-2006, 11:01 PM
For what it is worth:
at the pro level, they blame wrist problems on the ball rather than the racquet. Too heavy, too hard, "these are rocks, man!"

I believe amateurs blame their frames for just about everything.
I shanked a few returns last night and all I could do was look at my strings (like it was their fault). Couldn't possibly be a problem with me!:rolleyes:

rustsurfr
08-30-2006, 06:37 AM
all I could do was look at my strings (like it was their fault). Couldn't possibly be a problem with me!:rolleyes:

Yep...I am quite familiar with the string examination. It is pretty much a routine after every unforced error. Damn strings!!! Why are you making me suck today?!?!?

chungthomas
08-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Between the ball and the racquet, I would say the ball more. Ever hit with a Slazenger on hard court? Those things are just horrible! But seriously, it has more to do with the way the game is played nowadays, yes, equipment does attribute to this problem a bit, but we can't entirely blame on it. You aren't just going to tank a match because you are using your opponent's racquet. You tanked it because you aren't good enough, if you are good enough, you can make the adjustment in a short time.

I always tell this to one of the people who hits with me, "IT IS NOT YOUR STUPID STRING, NOR YOUR RACQUET, IT IS YOU! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT (like adjust your takeback or watever a little)! Don't act like any idiot and just stand there staring!" It is especially frustrating when you play doubles and you find your partner hit an error and he/she look at their racquet wondering wtf happened with it.

skuludo
08-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Netting the balls means that the person failed to hit a low to high motion that gives the ball enough leverage to go over the net.

jmsx521
08-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Rackets and playing-style of players do contribute to injuries. Obviously a stiff frame beats you up more than more flexible one. Just as if you were playing baseball with wooden and iron bat.

As far as playing-styles: notice how Pozzi and Sanguineti (spelling?) were/are still playing quality tennis at mid 30s. Played with rackets strung at low tension and play very smooth. Add to that McEnroe's buttery serve. He's still playing.

On the other hand look at Enquvist -- all his shots were muscled and very sharp... that tears the body; now he's retired. Roddick's serve will hurt him. His serve is not buttered; his spine takes a direct hit; I'd be surprised if in 5 years he is not complaining of back problems.

95nCode95
09-02-2006, 02:05 PM

ahahahhaha your dumb ahhahahahhaha