PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Wilson ROK?

longshotRF
08-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Hey guys,

im currently trying to look for a replacement for my wilson rok. its a great stick, but i just find it to be a bit underpowered. I tend to prefer mid-mid plus racquets, that have thinner beams and with 18x20 string pattern. But other then that im pretty open to all suggestions . Also, i like to play a more defensive, all court game with a one-handed backhand and semi western forehand if it helps any.
So far i have demoed the yonex rdx500 HD, head flexpoint prestige (both the mid and the midplus), wilson nps 95, and the dunlop M-Fil 200. All fell a little short of expectations and i have reverted back to my old ti. radical MP in the meantime ( though the prestige felt really nice, it could use more pop on the serve).

AJK1
08-20-2006, 03:17 PM
I would suggest the Wilson nBlade's, or the Yonex RDS01 98

La Bomba
08-20-2006, 04:35 PM
You can get Wilson Roks from Europe with 98 sq.inch heads.

rooski
08-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey guys,

im currently trying to look for a replacement for my wilson rok. its a great stick, but i just find it to be a bit underpowered. I tend to prefer mid-mid plus racquets, that have thinner beams and with 18x20 string pattern. But other then that im pretty open to all suggestions . Also, i like to play a more defensive, all court game with a one-handed backhand and semi western forehand if it helps any.
So far i have demoed the yonex rdx500 HD, head flexpoint prestige (both the mid and the midplus), wilson nps 95, and the dunlop M-Fil 200. All fell a little short of expectations and i have reverted back to my old ti. radical MP in the meantime ( though the prestige felt really nice, it could use more pop on the serve).
I'd give the M-Fil 200 another try with a good string job. It's really a solid racket that will definately give you more pop than the ROK. As mentioned above, the NBlade is another really good frame as well.

DURICA533
08-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I also play with the Wilson ROK and for awhile I was also looking for a replacement.

I haven't found anything that feels quite like the ROK although the nBlade is mighty darn close. It pockets the ball beautifully well like the ROK. The only big difference is the weight. I weighted my racket up to get the power I needed out of it. With the nBlade I can blast balls all day long without any adjustment.

If anybody tells you to try the n6.1 18x20, forget it. It doesn't come close to the feel of the ROK.

I went back to using the ROK after reducing weight and making some swing adjustments. Still love it. I use the nBlade when my arm is tired. I am 11 mos. out of shoulder sugery.

anirut
08-20-2006, 07:13 PM
And here I am ... the Redondo Preacher ...

I also have the ROK and I'd say for it's replacement you could try the Dunlop 200 line, the Head Prestige line and, certainly, the PK REDONDO (available in 98 head too)!

SFrazeur
08-20-2006, 07:30 PM
If anybody tells you to try the n6.1 18x20, forget it. It doesn't come close to the feel of the ROK.

LongshotRF, he is very much right, if you want the feel of the ROK you won't find it in the 6.1 18x20. If you want the technical aspect of a dense pattern to might find it in there.

Dopke
08-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Wow, my experiences in finding a similar racquet like the ROK is just like all the above.

The n6.1 18x20 was the racquet I ended up switching to, for about three months that is, before the racquet jacked up my wrist/elbow. Ended up taking a 8 month hiatus from tennis to recover, and I'm back with the ROK. I have played with the mfil200, and IMO that's the closest feel and playing style to the ROK that I have found. I played with a friend's mfil200 when I broke my string on the ROK and I using the same strokes I Was able to use the racquet just fine.

Also, maybe try stringing the ROK a bit lower than what you usually do, maybe around 58 or so? I String mine at 62, and I have no problems generating power. The power is there if you need it- you just gotta do your part. I'll add that I added 3grams total to 3 and 9 position for some more weight behind my shots.

LudaKrisKG
08-21-2006, 06:33 AM
flexpoint prestige?

DURICA533
08-21-2006, 02:49 PM
flexpoint prestige is cool but it took me too long to get used to the handle. Although, I was getting some wicked spin that I couldn't get with the ROK.

Dopke, posted that the mfil-200 was his closest. Wasn't that thing monstrously heavy?

mac777daddy
09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I to am looking for a replacement for my ROK. I have great top spin with my ROK but cant serve worth a darn with it and my approach and net play the ROK feels heavy. I want a racket I can still have the same top spin yet have a racket I can serve with and feel comfortable at the net. I currently have my ROK strung with Wilson Stamina 16g 60lbs. Thanks MAC

Tombhoneb
09-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi guys, i know this is in the wrong section but seeing as all you ROK users are here... If you want to sell your Wilson ROK 93 and you are in the UK please email me (from my profile page )

BTW.. i would go with the Flexipoint prestige for a replacement.

Cheers

mac777daddy
09-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Both of mine are 102 sq inch and in the USA.

iphoneman
09-03-2008, 03:04 PM
kbt is like the same thing

jayserinos99
09-03-2008, 03:05 PM
about the closest thing i could think of is the head classic tour. if you want something lighter, the head instinct series is another option.