PDA

View Full Version : New Balls ruin Ball machine??

I love rug
08-20-2006, 04:24 PM
I just recieved a Tennis Tutor Plus Player today and read the owners manual. It says that you have to break in the machine by using used balls. It says that if you use new balls, the ink will come off and make the spinning wheels slippery, leading to inconsistent ball throws. I was wondering if this is necessary because I only have around 40 used balls, but just bought 140 new balls. I've already shot about 250 used balls out of it. So if anyone has used new balls on their machine, or knows that it's essential to use used balls, please tell me. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!

Supernatural_Serve
08-20-2006, 04:34 PM
If you need used balls, go to your club and ask for them. There is bound to be a basket of completely dead balls somewhere or even a "trash" can for old balls.

You could easily pick up a dozen or two that way.

varuscelli
08-20-2006, 05:52 PM
I just recieved a Tennis Tutor Plus Player today and read the owners manual. It says that you have to break in the machine by using used balls. It says that if you use new balls, the ink will come off and make the spinning wheels slippery, leading to inconsistent ball throws. I was wondering if this is necessary because I only have around 40 used balls, but just bought 140 new balls. I've already shot about 250 used balls out of it. So if anyone has used new balls on their machine, or knows that it's essential to use used balls, please tell me. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!

I have been using a Silent Partner Pro with new pressureless Penn tennis balls (with the word "Penn" on them) and have seen no issues. Of course, I don't know if the surface of the wheels on the Silent Partner and the Tennis Tutor are the same -- something that might make a difference. In any case, I have seen no problems with the SP Pro using new pressureless tennis balls.

Kevo
08-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Just hit a few hundred practice serves with the new ones before putting them in the machine. That will wear away most of the loose ink. It shouldn't be too much trouble. You may want to split that serve practice up over a few days though if you're not used to hitting that many serves.

ffrpg
08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
If you want to use your new balls you can, just bring sandpaper with you. After the first basket, you'll notice that the ink does indeed rub off onto the throwing wheels. Sand the throwing wheels down and you're good to go again. The only downside is that you have to repeat this process several times.

tennisfan
08-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a SAM and never give it a thought when I get new balls. Doesn't it make sense that the very next time you use the machine the balls would remove any residue? The wheels are spinning 80 mph I would think they are self cleaning.

varuscelli
08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I have a SAM and never give it a thought when I get new balls. Doesn't it make sense that the very next time you use the machine the balls would remove any residue? The wheels are spinning 80 mph I would think they are self cleaning.

I think the procedure is only for the initial break-in of the machine (precautionary), but not for each time you use new balls. Just for breaking in the surface of the wheels, it looks like. But like I said, I didn't bother with anything like that on the Silent Partner (nor did the owner's manual mention that, as far as I recall). The Tennis Tutor folks are probably just throwing that out there as a precaution.

kaztennis
04-12-2007, 10:21 AM
I think the procedure is only for the initial break-in of the machine (precautionary), but not for each time you use new balls. Just for breaking in the surface of the wheels, it looks like.

That's what it says on my Little Prince manual. Just for the first break-in period and not for each time you use a new ball.