PDA

View Full Version : What's harder to use... 98" 10.8oz @ 60lbs or 90" 12.3oz @ 50lbs

will1087
08-21-2006, 06:41 AM
This is a bit of a theoretical question but assuming you're playing against a NTRP 5 player, whats harder to use:

a) A 98", 10.8oz racquet at 60lbs - 16x19, 300sw

or

b) A 90", 12.3oz racquet at 50lbs - 18x20, 323sw

Assuming that you're hitting the same pace and spin that you would with either racquets over a 3 set match.

The lighter racquet would appear to be easier but against a big hitter, you would have to generate most, if not all of your own pace since there is no plow through. Also, stability isn't very good.

The heavier racquet would appear to be harder but against a big hitter, you would have a lot of "plow through". Not to mention that its extremely stable.

Technique is a must for both racquets.

Fumoffu
08-21-2006, 10:57 AM
If you've got the technique, the lighter racquet would be easier IMO, only due to the fact you can use that 5.0 pace to your advantage (You'd simply need a shorter swing and excellent timing, not producing a ton of your own pace since you can use his/her own against him/her). Kind of like a watered-down Agassi on the return.

newnuse
08-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Question with the 10.8oz stick is can you handle the balls of a 5.0 player? Assuming he is not a pusher, I normally associate 5.0 players as bangers... can you handle the heavy shots of a 5.0 with a light racket?

Will the light racket be stable enough to return a 100mph serve? Can it handle a hard passing shot?

Assuming the player is also a 5.0 level player, I imagine the heavier racket would work better for them. A 5.0 player should be able to handle a 12.3 oz racket and generate their own power.

NoBadMojo
08-21-2006, 01:04 PM
I dont know that I understand your question, but if you are saying that one 5.0 is playing another, there is a much better chance they both would be using the lighter larger headed frame (or at least a larger headed frame), altho they would likely use whatever suits them the best which could be anything from 10oz - a little over 12. you just dont see many 5.0's and up using 90" midsized frames these days (not even on the tours)....they are used more by the 3.5's and such like around here (go figure)
Another myth circulated on this forum is that light racquets are unstable which isnt true at all...they may be more unstable than a heavier frame on miss hits though...if the player doesnt misshit much, stablity really is a non issue.
If it is a 3.5 going up against a 5.0, then without question the 3.5 would be better served in using the lighter bigger headed frame....at least they would have a better chance at making decent contact and getting around on the ball
There are no pushers at the 5.0 level unless playing in the senior divisions..lots of myths around here.

DANMAN
08-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Pretty much any racket is stable enough at 10oz if you can hit the sweetspot.

newnuse
08-21-2006, 04:00 PM
That's the problem. Do top level pros return their opponent's serve every time? Not really, they get aced, they frame their returns... miss the sweet spot etc...

If a pro was returning another pro's serve consistently hitting the sweet spot... it's a blowout.

I don't know what the numbers are, but am willing to bet you will find many more pro's using 12oz rackets over pros using sub 11oz rackets.

If a 5.0 player is returning another 5.0 player big serve on the sweet spot consistently, it won't be a very close score either.

Edited:
Just read the original question again. I think the lighter racket would be at a disadvantage over the 12.3oz stick. I think the 98" head would have the advantage over the 90" head for most as well. So as to original question... thats a tough call... would depend on the player's preference... sorry about the vague answer :)