PDA

View Full Version : arm problems...(liquidmetal 4)

alan_tae
08-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Ok I just picked up a new Head Liquidmetal 4 racquet and after playing for a couple of hours a couple of days ago, my arm was killing me. Yesterday the pain was very bad, mostly just above the elbow. My question is, do those racquets have a history of giving people with long, fast swings arm problems? I'm a baseliner all the way, and I swing very hard, not because I'm always trying to hit winners but that's just the way I'm most comfortable playing. I figured that I'd be ok because I spent about a week with the Flexpoint 4, playing everyday with it and never had any problems and they are almost identical racquets except for the flexpoint technology. So basically my question is just whether or not the Liquidmetal 4 racquets have a history of giving arm problems and whether or not I should look into a different racquet. Thanks for any help.

M1KE
08-21-2006, 09:59 AM
You should try a different string.

alan_tae
08-21-2006, 10:11 AM
You should try a different string.

I got it prestrung so that's what I was playing with...do you have any suggestions as to what kind/what tension? Thanks.

barry
08-21-2006, 10:13 AM
I had the same problem with 3 different liquid metal rackets. Switched to Wilson, much better frames.

In my opiton Liquid metal is crap! Even the pro's don't use LM rackets, but paint older Head rackets to look like LM.

Head should dump it, to many reported arm and shoulder problems.

ChipNCharge
08-21-2006, 10:20 AM
...do you have any suggestions as to what kind/what tension? Thanks.

Try a multi like Wilson Sensation, Dunlop Max Comfort, or Prince Premier w/ Softflex. Or, if you can afford it, natural gut. String towards the lower end of the tension range.

Redflea
08-21-2006, 01:00 PM
My son's used a LMRadical OS for a couple years w/no problems, strung w/multi at mid-point.

THe LM4 is pretty head-heavy if I remember...you may be having problems w/the balance/swing weight, and trying to muscle the racquet into place w/your forearm.

Was the racquet you used previously similar at all to the LM4 in terms of specs? If not, the change and how it's affected your technique may be the root of your problems. Could be it's too head-heavy for you period, or you're going to need some time to adjust. In either case, if you're in pain, give your arm a rest for a few days before continuing.

As for these racquets being a problem, not in my experience. Several members of my club use them (with lead on the head to make them even more head-heavy, if you can believe it!) without any arm issues whatsoever.

LoveThisGame
08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Obviously I don't know about your LM4, but in the last year or two I've seen too many factory-strung racquets coming at high tensions.

alan_tae
08-21-2006, 08:12 PM
My son's used a LMRadical OS for a couple years w/no problems, strung w/multi at mid-point.

THe LM4 is pretty head-heavy if I remember...you may be having problems w/the balance/swing weight, and trying to muscle the racquet into place w/your forearm.

Was the racquet you used previously similar at all to the LM4 in terms of specs? If not, the change and how it's affected your technique may be the root of your problems. Could be it's too head-heavy for you period, or you're going to need some time to adjust. In either case, if you're in pain, give your arm a rest for a few days before continuing.

As for these racquets being a problem, not in my experience. Several members of my club use them (with lead on the head to make them even more head-heavy, if you can believe it!) without any arm issues whatsoever.

The LM4 has similar specs to the racquet I previously played with (Prince TT Bandit) and like I said earlier I put in alot of time with the FXP 4 demo and loved it. I'll see how I do in a couple of days after my arm gets sufficient rest and go from there.

Redflea
08-21-2006, 10:38 PM
That's a good plan. :) Hope things work out for you. The guys I know who use it really like it a lot, and are always looking for new converts to their LM4 cult. ;)

alan_tae
08-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Is there anywhere to get the information on the tension that Head prestrings their racquets? I couldn't find anything on the site but it seems like my LM4 came strung at the higher end of the tension range.

ryan_
08-23-2006, 05:34 PM
i have the LM4 in my racquet collection. A bit head-heavy making flat strokes fly out but fine for topspins. i strung at 60lbs (rec. tension is 52-63lbs) with a synthetic and it felt fine. really light racquet so its soft on the arm is what i think. used it for about 2months and overall no problems here. have tried it with a full poly and felt a bit more harsh but nothing painful.

pchoi04
08-23-2006, 05:46 PM
I've used the LM4 racquet and I thought it was pretty soft. But I used to play with the LM Radical MP and I had to switch because of rist problems. But I was also using poly strings at 62lbs on a dense string pattern. So I guess there can be lots of factors involved in arm pain. Could even be technique.