PDA

View Full Version : Pro's using newly strung rackets

saqdeez
08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Whenever i get rackets strung, they feel very stiff the first 30 minutes and then hit much better after. Since pros use brand new strings all the time I would think they would have the same problem but maybe they are just used to it? My rackest always hit better a day after hitting witha new string job...

andyroddick's mojo
08-21-2006, 01:42 PM
maybe you string too high so it takes you a little while for it to loosen up. pros have already determined their favorite tensions depending on different factors, so they don't need it to loosen up.

saqdeez
08-21-2006, 01:44 PM
So when you get a racket restrung it feels great right away? I get it strung at 57....

Stringer_Steve
08-21-2006, 01:52 PM
I personally like the feel of a freshly strung racquet, but I know plenty of our customers that prefer a racquet that has been "broken in." I think it's all in personal preference. Not everyone likes the same thing

LttlElvis
08-21-2006, 02:05 PM
I think pros choose tensions at which a freshly strung job is their preference. Fresh string jobs is the only constant for them as they can't wait for a break in period. String costs is not a factor for most of them as it just part of their job.

Since finances are a facor for the rest of us, we either choose a tension that feels great to begin with and just live with it until the string breaks or quality degrades to an unacceptable level. Or choose a tension that we know will feel good after a break in period.

migjam
08-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Pros have their racquets strung and restrung daily so that they have that fresh tension. You need to remember, it's their livelihood so they want everything just right.

rooski
08-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Whenever i get rackets strung, they feel very stiff the first 30 minutes and then hit much better after. Since pros use brand new strings all the time I would think they would have the same problem but maybe they are just used to it? My rackest always hit better a day after hitting witha new string job...
I think the "breaking in" of strings is real and I agree with you...I like new strings better after I've hit with them for a little while. This does two things...the tension drops a bit and the strings "bed in" to one another. This keeps them from sliding around so much. On certain strings, there is an oily residue (from production) on them initially until you can hit enough to dry them out. Once these things happen, the strings pretty much lock in to their pattern and the feel is more consistent.

bsandy
08-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Pros have their racquets strung and restrung daily so that they have that fresh tension. You need to remember, it's their livelihood so they want everything just right.

But . . . In Indy is seemed, the better the player the less picky he was.

Blake had one racquet strung, per day. he practiced with it, played a match it and dropped it off the next day.

migjam
08-25-2006, 07:59 AM
But . . . In Indy is seemed, the better the player the less picky he was.

Blake had one racquet strung, per day. he practiced with it, played a match it and dropped it off the next day.

Yeah, it depends on the pros. I would say most of the top pros have them restrung daily. Usually the players would drop their racquets off the night before their match and if they were just practicing, they would drop them off some time in the morning.

MasterTS
08-25-2006, 08:23 AM
I prefer newly strung racquets that have been hit for about 10-15 minutes.. So what I like to do after stringing a racquet is get a few rallys going, then put it away and save it for the match tomorrow!

squints
08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
also i think ow you string a racquet is important. there arelots of little tricks that people may or may not know. i used to string my racquets a little tighter and then break them in. but i think it really depends on the strings themselves. recently ive just strung them at what is closer to my real ideal tension as well as started stringing them differently.

chungthomas
08-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Me too! YUMMMM!!! NOTHING HITS LIKE A NEWLY STRUNG RACQUET AT 58lbs! LOL! Seriously! It feels good, shots stay in a little bit more (because the older one lost too much tension).

bossass
09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
There was an interesting artlcle in the New Yorker a few months back about Ivan Lendl and his daughters. They discussed his rigid training regimen, which also included his equipment. They said he had one racket stringer who traveled with him, and each racket would get hit with for like 45 minutes after being strung before he used it in a match. Couldn't find a link for the article.

Ripper
09-01-2006, 08:41 AM
As a rule, I never hit with a freshly strung raquet. I let it sit for, at least, 24 hours... No, I'm not a pro :mrgreen:

Skppr05
09-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I like the way me racquet feels after about 30-45 min of solid hitting with it, depending on the type of string thats on