PDA

View Full Version : Deep forehand,

jun
03-05-2004, 07:49 PM
I seem to have trouble handling high/deep balls to my forehand (probably my backhand as well), usually hit a little wide.

My grip is strong eastern (between semi and eastern), and that shot is definately out of my strick zone.

I generally end up trying to do wiper swing, but usually frame it, and end up giving very weak ball. I tried the similar thing to my pro, he seemed to flatten it out.

Should i try to flatten it out, or keep trying wiper swing it?

I can somewhat handle, simply deep balls but a little lower ball..I can't really generate a lot of pace off of it by doing wiper swing, but i don't frame it that much.

Any suggestions?

Jay Welvaert
03-06-2004, 06:05 AM
You need to first hit the ball sooner when its deep. Probably the reason that your hitting it wide is because you are late. If someone hits you a high ball then try to hit one deep back to him if possible which will force him to then hit a short ball

jun
03-06-2004, 05:25 PM
these balls are coming at me pretty fast. If they were to bounce between service line, and baseline, I would be able to get in position better. It usally bouches just inside the baseline or pretty close to baseline. Although I can take forehand out of air pretty well, these are outta question.

bcaz
03-06-2004, 06:11 PM
You have a choice -- you can either take the ball high behind the baseline, using a semi-western to western grip, and spin a deep, looping crosscourt forehand, or you can take it early, on the rise, on a short bounce, and kind of block it back while holding your ground at or inside the baseline. The latter technique is more effective with fast-paced shots.

BC

polakosaur
03-06-2004, 06:28 PM
you got a choice of either taking it early or anticipating and running a few feet back and hit it when it gets to your hitting zone

Cypo
03-08-2004, 10:01 AM
I have an eastern grip too and got beaten on Saturday by these balls. I have a slightly different answer which I worked on in training today and I think, if you're like me and a more net rushing type of player, will be more natural and compliment you game more than moving back and topspinning it or taking it early and blocking it. The answer for me (I think) is driving the ball. Taking the racquet back at the height of the contact point and following through so the butt cap is pointed to the net and the hitting face of the racquet is facing the court at mid-upper arm of your non hitting arm. Your elbow points to the net and you push off from your back leg. Roger Federer uses this shot a lot.