PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Austin, TX

fishuuuuu
08-21-2006, 05:10 PM
I live off of Rio Grand and 27th. What tennis courts are there besides Caswell that are equally nearby or accessable by foot or bus?

I am desperate, I've been without tennis for a long time :(

atatu
08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
There are courts by the ACC campus at 12th and Lamar, but they aren't in great shape. Why don't you just play at Penick ? Or buy a bike and ride to the intramural courts at 51st street.

ryohazuki222
08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
hey fishuuu... at the moment (until school starts) your best bet for good free courts is the whitaker courts on 51st and guadalupe... you could ride the IM or IF bus (not exactly sure which it is... im leaning towards IF). the best facilities are by far pennick-allison which is on trinity and 17th... but last time i walked there it took about half and hour (and i live pretty close to you)... but until school starts the hours are crap... you'd have to get your tennis in between 11am-2pm weekdays.

And if you REALLY want to play (I know the feeling well....)......... what level are you? I'm looking to get in as much match experience as i can in the next couple weeks... or at least play against some new faces for a change of pace. I live 24th and rio grande (like i said.... pretty close to you) and have a car if you ever feel like hitting.

EDIT:

oh yaa... my aim is fadinawayy.... and i ALWAYS have ym away message on... even when im there... lol... feel free to let me know if you want to hit

fishuuuuu
08-21-2006, 10:47 PM
hey fishuuu... at the moment (until school starts) your best bet for good free courts is the whitaker courts on 51st and guadalupe... you could ride the IM or IF bus (not exactly sure which it is... im leaning towards IF). the best facilities are by far pennick-allison which is on trinity and 17th... but last time i walked there it took about half and hour (and i live pretty close to you)... but until school starts the hours are crap... you'd have to get your tennis in between 11am-2pm weekdays.

And if you REALLY want to play (I know the feeling well....)......... what level are you? I'm looking to get in as much match experience as i can in the next couple weeks... or at least play against some new faces for a change of pace. I live 24th and rio grande (like i said.... pretty close to you) and have a car if you ever feel like hitting.

EDIT:

oh yaa... my aim is fadinawayy.... and i ALWAYS have ym away message on... even when im there... lol... feel free to let me know if you want to hit

I'm not getting my bike here at my place until school starts, and by then, I might as well just take the bus. Right now the buses aren't running, at least today and tomorrow, so going to 51st is not an option unless I'm willing to walk upward of 30 minutes there, and 30 mintues back (I'm not).

I played 4.0-4.5, but haven't had a good hit June. Bring me back up to speed!

10S_Playr
08-24-2006, 10:42 PM
All:

I'm in the process of making a job change that will move me to Austin sometime this fall. I've done a little looking into what's available for tennis in the area, but I could use some local insight. Can anyone comment on?

1) Best tennis clubs in the area at a reasonable price - I'm willing to pay dues for a private club but won't pay for a full-out cc membership since I'm not a golfer (though a tennis membership at a cc might be OK).
2) I play USTA leagues and tournaments today, would like to do that in Austin also. It looks like USTA is active but I also see references to organizations like ATL and CATA...how do they work?
3) How do seasons work there? Is it too hot to play in the summer (or do I need to get in better shape)?

Thanks for any comments...10S_Playr

atatu
08-25-2006, 08:27 AM
10S_Player: Your best bet is the courtyard tennis club, it is the most reasonable private club in Austin. They also have the only two indooor courts in the city (there are some at Lakeway World of Tennis, outside the city limits). Courtyard has a lot of players and the courts are decent. On the downside, the courts are up on a hill and in the spring it can get windy. In addition, the management of the club is somewhat unprofessional and not particulary helpful if you aren't in their social circle. Most of the other clubs are country clubs which are incredibly expensive (Westwood CC, Barton Creek, Austin CC). Another option would be to look into the tennis only membership at Lost Creek CC, which is not quiet as expensive as the other country clubs. A lot of it depends on where you will be living. There are some other options if you live far south (Cirlce C club) or way up North.

CATA administers the USTA leagues in the summer. ATL is an independent league that has fall and spring seasons. I suggest getting on an ATL team, as it is a great way to meet other players. It is very hot, but you'll get used to it, at least if you really want to play.

BigboyDan
08-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Austin has some of the best tennis in the country, thousands of players. Yearly, there are a dozen tournaments for adults that you can play in.

It all depends on what part of the city in which you live that determines which "home court" you choose. There are hundreds of free courts throughout the city on which you can play as well.

-- Caswell Tennis Center is the most notable public court facilty, near the University. Many of Austin's 5.5+ players choose Caswell. There is a vibrant "pick up" scene where during the weekday lunch hours you can show up and get a game. These matches can actually draw spectators...

-- The Courtyard, private tennis club, good players, no golf - 2 covered courts.

-- Lakeway, great club, you can join as tennis only - 2 indoor courts.

-- Westwood Country Club, tennis only. The "Old West Side" monied crowd - several green clay courts.

-- South Austin Tennis Center, best public facility in South Austin, great league scene, good instructors. Lot's of women players, mixed doubles.

There are several exellent private tennis-only clubs in the suburbs that cater to high-level juniors, and USTA adults - contact CATA to see which clubs are looking for members.

10S_Playr
08-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Atatu and BigBoyDan: Thanks for the info, I've searched a little online but it always helps to get live input from people that are there. I will check some of these clubs out next time I'm in town.

Two other clubs came up in my online search (because they appear to offer tennis-only memberships): River Place CC and Great Hills CC - any experience with either club? (BTW, I can't tell if the membership prices would be competitive with the other places you listed).

Again, thanks for the info, I hope to be arriving in Austin sometime this fall.

10S_Playr

atatu
08-27-2006, 09:36 PM
They are both decent clubs. Great Hills is in the Northwest part of town and close to one of the main highways (Mopac) so it's easy to get to. They have four courts and a good teaching pro there (Chris Anderson). It's a family oriented club, probably not as many strong players there. Riverplace is a little more upscale and a little further out of town. More courts, nice courts. Not sure who the pro is these days, they have had some turnover lately. The club is pretty active among the women, not so much for the men.

kkh713x
09-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Came into Austin for the weekend, anyone (4.0-4.5) hitting tonite at about 7 pm?

ATXtennisaddict
10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
For those who plan to be in Austin for a while and want to play tennis matches...

www.austint e n n i s n e t.org (remove spaces)

It's called John Kitchen's Ladder. Email him, tell him your rating. Every 2.5 weeks you play 2 matches, even more if u want (called challenges). If u need ppl to hit with, look at player listings and their ratings. Give em a holla to see if they wanna hit/play.

I'm on it, my friends are on it, it's a ton of fun.

I also play Austin Tennis League (ATL) matches (the season already started, but maybe next one!).

If you are a student, you can play on Pennick Allison for free when the team isn't practicing/playing. But outer courts are always ok. There are some ****** courts on 51st/speedway that some guy brought me to the other day. I don't recommend it but if u have no choice and want free courts...also, the Whitaker courts are free! (student again). Ride the IF bus, it takes you DIRECTLY to them. Number 1 brings u close.

ATXtennisaddict
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
We should have an ATX tennis meat some time. Just meet up with everyone and go play. I don't mind meeting Austin TW-ers. Send me an email if you all are interested.

t3nchi@gmail.com

ryohazuki222
10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
i think you meant 45th and speedway, right?

BTW... UT Tennis Club is planning on hosting a fundraising tournament the weekend of nov 10-12. If interested, check out www.uttennis.com

ATXtennisaddict
10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
i think you meant 45th and speedway, right?

BTW... UT Tennis Club is planning on hosting a fundraising tournament the weekend of nov 10-12. If interested, check out www.uttennis.com

Oh yea, 45th and speed.

Is this open to non-students as well? I am a former student.

penpal
10-05-2006, 06:14 AM
All:

I'm in the process of making a job change that will move me to Austin sometime this fall. I've done a little looking into what's available for tennis in the area, but I could use some local insight.

10S, your post really struck home. I experienced the same dilemma when looking at a possible move. Looked around, couldn't find any good info on tennis clubs, so I ended up creating my own site where tennis players can write reviews of tennis clubs and facilities in the U.S.

I don't want this to sound like spam, so if the admin wants to remove this I understand perfectly ... but after you have checked out some of the tennis facilities in Austin, you might want to consider reviewing them at CourtCoverage.com (http://www.courtcoverage.com) ... might help out the next tennis player moving to Austin.

atatu and BigBoyDan, please feel free to write some reviews as well ... looks like you two have some great insights.

10S, good luck on your move and in your new job.

ryohazuki222
10-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Oh yea, 45th and speed.

Is this open to non-students as well? I am a former student.

This particular tournament (the nov. 10-12 one) is open to everyone and anyone that would like to participate.

The site I listed above is to the UT Club site. For tournament info go to the tournament section... or go directly via... http://www.uttennis.com/tournaments.html

Or just download an entry form directly at http://www.uttennis.com/UT_Tourney_v2.pdf

nalex
10-08-2006, 05:28 PM
hey i live in austin. wondering if anyone wants to hit sometime. about a 3.5-4.0 player

ATXtennisaddict
10-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Anyone know where I can get together and hit with a bunch of 4.0s on a regular basis?

kkh713x
10-12-2006, 02:32 PM
If you go out to Connelly HS up north by Parmer Ln and I-35 pretty much any weekday, there will be a few 3.5s, 4.0s, 4.0+s out there hitting on the two lit courts. A few of us (4.0+ and 4.5s) will probably be hitting out there this Sunday morning starting at about 8:30 am . . .

drljva
08-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Hi, I'll be moving to Austin in the coming months... 4.5+ player... was wondering if anyone could add anything to this useful post about tennis clubs in the Austin area... Many thanks... :-) Jimmy

Austin has some of the best tennis in the country, thousands of players. Yearly, there are a dozen tournaments for adults that you can play in.

It all depends on what part of the city in which you live that determines which "home court" you choose. There are hundreds of free courts throughout the city on which you can play as well.

-- Caswell Tennis Center is the most notable public court facilty, near the University. Many of Austin's 5.5+ players choose Caswell. There is a vibrant "pick up" scene where during the weekday lunch hours you can show up and get a game. These matches can actually draw spectators...

-- The Courtyard, private tennis club, good players, no golf - 2 covered courts.

-- Lakeway, great club, you can join as tennis only - 2 indoor courts.

-- Westwood Country Club, tennis only. The "Old West Side" monied crowd - several green clay courts.

-- South Austin Tennis Center, best public facility in South Austin, great league scene, good instructors. Lot's of women players, mixed doubles.

There are several exellent private tennis-only clubs in the suburbs that cater to high-level juniors, and USTA adults - contact CATA to see which clubs are looking for members.

atatu
08-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Hi, I'll be moving to Austin in the coming months... 4.5+ player... was wondering if anyone could add anything to this useful post about tennis clubs in the Austin area... Many thanks... :-) Jimmy

Not much has changed although this thread is old ! Just email me when you get to town atatu2014 at gmail and I'll get you set up with some 4.5/5.0 players.

drljva
08-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Many thanks! :-)

Not much has changed although this thread is old ! Just email me when you get to town atatu2014 at gmail and I'll get you set up with some 4.5/5.0 players.