PDA

View Full Version : My tennis racquet, how much will my playing style change...

chrisab508
03-05-2004, 08:15 PM
okay, so the i bought an oversize racquet, my dad said it would be good for me, even though i wanted a midplus racquet. But my dad was paying for it so i went with it. Well, now i want a midplus racquet, and was wondering how much of a difference (if any) I will see by switching? will i see a difference in my playing? will it be better? be worse? if i got used to using an OS? One of the main reasons i wanna switch to midplus is because I wasnt to be able to swing harder but not have the ball go out/too far as often.

any help would be great!

Chris.

!<-_->!
03-05-2004, 11:01 PM
To help us help you, which OS did you get and is the MP the same version as the OS just with a different head size?

Jay Welvaert
03-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Yes I agree that it depends on what oversize racket you are talking about, some oversize rackets like the I radical OS have alot of control. If you want some of the control of a midplus you should string the racket a couple of pounds higher than you do a midplus like 3-5 lbs higher. Also use a string that doesnt have much power or a string that has alot of control(timo or any poly doesnt have much power and has good control). Or use a hybrid with poly in the mains and a multifilament or solid core in the crosses if you want a softer feel

chrisab508
03-06-2004, 06:45 AM
well, im using the Babolat Pure drive team OS, and the Pure drive team plus i believe is the same racquet just 100 sq in. and a little heavier, however, if i were to switch to a MP racquet i would get a completely different racquet, not the same one just with a different head size. The problem is, i think i'd want a MP racquet but my dad just bought me the OS racquet so i can't very well be like: "umm dad, you know that racquet you bought me, well i wanna get another one"

thanks again

Chris.

Rackethead
03-06-2004, 02:18 PM
I think you will see quite a difference, not only between sizes, but also between rackets. You should definitely demo a variety of rackets before purchasing a new one. You should also define what you want in a racket -- that will help direct your demo'ing. The TW demo program is most economical if you demo 4 rackets -- it's about $32 dollars, or $8 per racket. Also see if you can demo your friends and teammates rackets for free.

chrisab508
03-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I think i can demo racquets at my tennis club for free. Also, the racquet i was interested in was the Wilson H Tour (95). Also, any suggestions on how i can bring up this subject to my dad? seeming as he just bought me the OS one?

thanks

Chris.

polakosaur
03-06-2004, 06:26 PM
break your OS doing something stupid like swinging and hitting the net post or dropping it or something

polakosaur
03-06-2004, 06:26 PM
PS: remember you didn't hear anything from me

chrisab508
03-06-2004, 06:47 PM
im a pretty honest person, i don't think i could do that. Plus we are in the process of buying a pretty expensive apartment that is gonna set up back a lot, so i dno, i couldn't do that. If I was going to do anything i'd prolly just tell him what i felt like and then I would buy it myself, and buy my OS up for sale on ****, although i doubt i'd get many offers on it.

Brent Pederson
03-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Step 1: Figure out which racket you really want. Demo, either thru TW or the club.

Step 2: Put an ad on TW Classified advertising the racket you have and the racket you want.

Step 3: Either sell it outright on the board (you should be able to get $100 for it in good shape), or, better yet, straight across trade for what you want. The pure drive os is a pretty popular frame, I'm guessing you have no trouble trading it for almost anything you want, one way or another... I've done this many times!