PDA

View Full Version : New York City Dangerous Areas?

takeuchi
08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
My flight to new york is on Sunday morning and I'm just wondering if there are any sketchy areas of the city.

I apologize for my ignorance, as I'm sure every big city has there good and bad spots. Are there any specific spots you would recommend avoiding?

I'll be staying in Jamaica area near the subway station. I will be mostly at the US Open but I will be visiting other areas as well.

Anything you can comment on is appreciated.

Any tips for subway/bus safety as well?

p0w3r
08-23-2006, 07:31 PM
First place i thought of was Jamacia:mrgreen: (unfortunately I am serious)
But it also depends on what part of Jamacia...if its around Hillside/Jamacia then its not so good. You should be fine on the daytime...just dont hang out when it gets dark. I go to school in Jamacia and there have been times when some of my classmates had been jumped and had thier stuff stolen on the street...so juts be careful.

Dan007
08-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Just don't take subway/bus late at night when there aren't a lot of people. Make sure you are riding when lot of people are at the stations.

El Diablo
08-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah, as above...you're not staying in such a swell area, but there's literally no place in NYC that I'd be afraid to go in daylight; I just wouldn't stroll around some of them at night. I went to med school in the Bronx and used to ride my bicycle (no money for a car then) in the South Bronx to a sporting goods store of all things, in what was/is one of the more notorious parts of the city; never felt threatened in any way -- midday of course. If you come back to Jamaica from a night session, I'd just go straight into the hotel, unless it's on a fairly busy commercial street in which case a walk with a friend to grab a bite is fine.

35ft6
08-25-2006, 07:30 AM
Yeah, Jamaica can be sketchy, one of the worst parts of Queens. Don't get caught alone and lost late at night. Don't look nervous when you walk around. If you don't know where you're at, don't let it show. Don't try to show you're not scared by saying hello to random strangers like my drunk friend did last night on the subway.

TrueAce
08-25-2006, 04:59 PM
walk down the street in the middle of the projects at night!!! you'll get the best running workout of your life....

Rickson
08-25-2006, 05:03 PM
My flight to new york is on Sunday morning and I'm just wondering if there are any sketchy areas of the city.

I apologize for my ignorance, as I'm sure every big city has there good and bad spots. Are there any specific spots you would recommend avoiding?

I'll be staying in Jamaica area near the subway station. I will be mostly at the US Open but I will be visiting other areas as well.

Anything you can comment on is appreciated.

Any tips for subway/bus safety as well?
Is NYC dangerous? Hell yeah! I wouldn't live here if it weren't! NYC is the most dangerous city in the world! Yeah, baby!

Supernatural_Serve
08-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Don't wonder around in Jamaica Queens. That's not a good area. Even the areas that don't look bad.

Relatively speaking, the only part of New York worth spending time while attending the US Open is Manhattan.

1. Greenwich Village
2. East Village
3. Soho
4. Central Park Area
5. Upper East Side
6. Upper West Side

all very safe and interesting.

zhan
08-25-2006, 05:58 PM
ok
basically
stay within less than 100th street...
the higher the street # go..
the more scary it is...
basically if you wonder into like 140th 150th street...
they'll look at you like you got a sign around your neck saying "dead money"

takeuchi
08-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks all for your responses.

Looks like i'll have to stay vigilant and make sure not to go out alone.

Oh yeah, is southside Jamaica much worse than the north side? I'm just north of the tracks by the terminal subway station. I only ask because someone told me 50 cent is from there.

35ft6
08-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Is NYC dangerous? Hell yeah! I wouldn't live here if it weren't! NYC is the most dangerous city in the world! Yeah, baby!Rickson is probably joking, but just want to say that technically NYC is the safest large city in America. Or at least it was in recent times. Most of the really dangerous sections are pretty hard for the average tourist to accidentally find themselves in. East New York in Brooklyn I heard is pretty roughneck these days.

But as for Manhattan being the only borough worth exploring, I don't think that's true. Depending on your age and interests, I would definitely take a stroll through many parts of Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Coney Island), maybe the Bohemian Beer Garden in Queens, eat some Korean bbq in Flushing (better than the more expensive offerings in Manhattan's K-Town), the Bronx Zoo in, uh, the Bronx. Etc.

Duzza
08-26-2006, 04:17 AM
JESUS, i had no idea it was this bad!

slice bh compliment
08-26-2006, 04:27 AM
JESUS, i had no idea it was this bad!

Hahhah, well it isn't.

There is too much to do ... all up and down Manhattan. You will need six months at least.
Do not be afraid of 125th street. Harlem is historic and very cool, too. The Cloisters, Columbia. There are a few museums worth hitting. Also I think the Brazilian fair happens this time of year, too.

The other boroughs:
Don't know much about Staten Island, but I think it's got a role in tennis history (Mary Outerbridge). As mentioned, B'klyn's got flavor, then there is Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, parts of Queens with the great food from every corner of the woild. Might have to pay a visit to nearby Hollis, Queens (home of Run DMC), and Jewel Avenue in Forest Hills (West Side Tennis Club, former site of this tennis tournament). You'd have to look it up or ask around, but I think there may be a monument or a museum dedicated to Guido Culture. Maybe that's over in Jersey or up in Westchester. Who knows?

Be safe. Don't dress like a rich kid, don't walk like a yutz.

slice bh compliment
08-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Is NYC dangerous? Hell yeah! I wouldn't live here if it weren't! NYC is the most dangerous city in the world! Yeah, baby!

Danger. Is. his. Middle. Name.

35ft6
08-26-2006, 05:26 AM
Be safe. Don't dress like a rich kid, don't walk like a yutz. In Manhattan, it's okay to walk around like a tourist. You know, looking around at everything as if you're seeing it all for the first time (you are), with occasional moments of confusion, but don't do that EVERYWHERE. In some places, better to pretend you know exactly where you're going and need to get there quickly.

New Yorkers are some of the friendliest people in the world. Just yesterday in Madison Square Park (shake shack, best burger I ever had in NYC) about 20 people spontaneously started singing happy birthday to a young girl there on her birthday. That's New York. So be friendly, because true New Yorkers love to talk (the snobbier people tend to be transplants who didn't grow up in New York who think that being a jerk makes them automatically more New Yorker like...).

But in some circumstances being too friendly will make you look like an easy target. But New York is very very safe. In Manhattan, you're super safe. Have fun.

slice bh compliment
08-26-2006, 05:30 AM
...New Yorkers are some of the friendliest people in the world. Just yesterday in Madison Square Park (shake shack, best burger I ever had in NYC) about 20 people spontaneously started singing happy birthday to a young girl there on her birthday. That's New York. So be friendly, because true New Yorkers love to talk (the snobbier people tend to be transplants who didn't grow up in New York who think that being a jerk makes them automatically more New Yorker like...).

But in some circumstances being too friendly will make you look like an easy target. But New York is very very safe. In Manhattan, you're super safe. Have fun.

Absolutely. Spot on. He will have a great time in the city.

Phil
08-26-2006, 07:46 PM
ok
basically
stay within less than 100th street...
the higher the street # go..
the more scary it is...
basically if you wonder into like 140th 150th street...
they'll look at you like you got a sign around your neck saying "dead money"

You're obviously a "New York City vet" to know so much about it".

I wish I had your street smarts.:rolleyes:

35ft6
08-26-2006, 08:24 PM
I just went to a get together on 138th street (just west of Broadway) today. Unless you're simply deathly afraid of anybody who's not white, it's hardly someplace I would consider dangerous.

p0w3r
08-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I just went to a get together on 138th street (just west of Broadway) today. Unless you're simply deathly afraid of anybody who's not white, it's hardly someplace I would consider dangerous.
Yup...New York is now one of the safest cities of its size in America...but being a big city you just gotta stay smart.

Geezer Guy
09-12-2006, 12:13 PM
So, takeuchi - did you make it out alive?

What were your impressions of the city?

takeuchi
09-19-2006, 06:05 PM
So, takeuchi - did you make it out alive?

What were your impressions of the city?
Yeah I made it out alive. We only ended up staying in jamaica one night. The place we stayed at didn't really have a clue what they were doing so we left and stayed in manhatten (after me finally getting my luggage delivered to me). It didn't end up costing us that much more because 5 of us stayed in one room. Once I was in manhatten I felt a little more at ease since it felt similar to home and less awkward. Plus we were a lot closer to the city and city attractions.

I was surprised at all the cruddy looking areas I could see from the subway. I'm guessing not all areas are like that though. Although Canada and Vancouver are a pretty diverse crowd, I was also surprised by the amount of diversity in new york. I went to buy a camera in brooklyn, and I saw some orthodox jewish people at a store speaking hebrew. I had never seen that before. Biggest noticeable difference to me was the african american and mexican? population. Not a whole lot in Vancouver, mostly asians.

Another thing is that I didn't see many homeless or panhandlers. They are everywhere in downtown Vancouver, maybe I missed them.

Do New Yorkers not recycle much? Whenever I had a bottle I could never find some kind of recycling bin. What is up with the piles of garbage bags on the streets, I thought that was kind of weird and stinky at times.

We were mostly at the us open, so we didn't get to see a lot of the city. Oh well, gives me an excuse to go back!

Why are the subways so damn hot?

slice bh compliment
09-19-2006, 06:32 PM
...Biggest noticeable difference to me was the african american and mexican? population. Not a whole lot in Vancouver, mostly asians. ...

Oh, and the absence of those snow-capped mountains surrounding Manhattan.

In addition to the Hassidim, you may have seen a few Nuyoricans, too, bro'.

Oh, and what do you guys call African Americans up in BC? Afro/Caribe-Canadians, African Canadians? Black folks? Black people, eh?
Brothers and Sisters?

Phil
09-19-2006, 07:57 PM
I was surprised at all the cruddy looking areas I could see from the subway. I'm guessing not all areas are like that though.
That's not "crud" that you saw. It's character.
Although Canada and Vancouver are a pretty diverse crowd, I was also surprised by the amount of diversity in new york. I went to buy a camera in brooklyn, and I saw some orthodox jewish people at a store speaking hebrew. I had never seen that before.
That's not Hebrew you heard. It's Yiddish.

Biggest noticeable difference to me was the african american and mexican? population. Not a whole lot in Vancouver, mostly asians.
If you had walked a few blocks from the Tennis Center, you would have found decent-sized Taiwanese and Korean communities, depending on which direction you would have walked. But I'd guess that Vancouver's Asian population is, proportionately, larger than NYC's.

Another thing is that I didn't see many homeless or panhandlers. They are everywhere in downtown Vancouver, maybe I missed them.
Oh, they're around. Only, NYC now does a better job, or maybe more brutally efficient job, of rounding them up and putting them in shelters.

Do New Yorkers not recycle much? Whenever I had a bottle I could never find some kind of recycling bin. What is up with the piles of garbage bags on the streets, I thought that was kind of weird and stinky at times.
There used to be recycling, then they got rid of it, then it was on again...I don't know if it's being done now, but...that wasn't "stinky" you smelled. It's CHARACTER!
Why are the subways so damn hot?
Too expensive to keep them cool...the city is in the midst of a financial crisis. Besides, the stifiling underground heat builds...yeah, you guessed it, CHARACTER!

takeuchi
09-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Oh, and the absence of those snow-capped mountains surrounding Manhattan.

In addition to the Hassidim, you may have seen a few Nuyoricans, too, bro'.

Oh, and what do you guys call African Americans up in BC? Afro/Caribe-Canadians, African Canadians? Black folks? Black people, eh?
Brothers and Sisters?
I haven't heard many people say african-canadians. It sounds odd. Black people would be more common.

takeuchi
09-20-2006, 04:54 PM

If you had walked a few blocks from the Tennis Center, you would have found decent-sized Taiwanese and Korean communities, depending on which direction you would have walked. But I'd guess that Vancouver's Asian population is, proportionately, larger than NYC's.

Oh, they're around. Only, NYC now does a better job, or maybe more brutally efficient job, of rounding them up and putting them in shelters.

There used to be recycling, then they got rid of it, then it was on again...I don't know if it's being done now, but...that wasn't "stinky" you smelled. It's CHARACTER!

Too expensive to keep them cool...the city is in the midst of a financial crisis. Besides, the stifiling underground heat builds...yeah, you guessed it, CHARACTER!

New York sure does have a lot of character then. I can't wait to see more of it (maybe with less rain next time, we get enough of that over here).

p0w3r
09-20-2006, 05:30 PM

lmao...ahahhahahaha yup NYC has character alright:D :mrgreen:

arnz
09-23-2006, 04:40 PM

I guess a Rickson disciple likes the danger:mrgreen:

slewisoh
09-24-2006, 01:28 AM
!

Hey Phil! We all know you love NYC, but are there other cities you think as highly of? How about top 5 favorite cities?

Phil
09-25-2006, 02:50 AM
Hey Phil! We all know you love NYC, but are there other cities you think as highly of? How about top 5 favorite cities?

My top five would probably be:

NYC, Rome, London, Buenos Aires, San Francisco.

Honorable mention: Athens, Bangkok, Kyoto, Penang, Melbourne, Auckland, Madrid, Montreal, Tokyo, Damascus (for the history, man!...and the food).

Oh, and how could I forget Cleveland in that top list, of course!;-)

slewisoh
09-25-2006, 07:09 AM
My top five would probably be:

NYC, Rome, London, Buenos Aires, San Francisco.

Honorable mention: Athens, Bangkok, Kyoto, Penang, Melbourne, Auckland, Madrid, Montreal, Tokyo, Damascus (for the history, man!...and the food).

Oh, and how could I forget Cleveland in that top list, of course!;-)

You certainly do get around...

I enjoy living here, but even I don't list Cleveland as a destination! Some good restaurants, sports teams, symphony etc but limited public transportation, zero shopping...No real reason to wander around Cleveland. You go into the city for a specific event (the King James show) but you don't spend an entire day in the city.

Perhaps if we had a Great Fire (a la Chicago) we could figure out how to properly develop a waterfront.

Phil
09-27-2006, 10:53 PM
You certainly do get around...

I enjoy living here, but even I don't list Cleveland as a destination! Some good restaurants, sports teams, symphony etc but limited public transportation, zero shopping...No real reason to wander around Cleveland. You go into the city for a specific event (the King James show) but you don't spend an entire day in the city.

Perhaps if we had a Great Fire (a la Chicago) we could figure out how to properly develop a waterfront.

To be honest, I have better memories of the Akron/Canton/Kent area. Not saying that area compares to Cleveland in its cultural offerings, but I had friends there and we managed to do a lot more "damage" than we would have in Cleveland. I've never recognized any redeeming qualities in Cleveland...

Old joke: What's the only sign of life in Cleveland?

Answer: The road sign that says "PITTSBURGH, 120 MILES"

Sorry, couldn't resist it...and I'm originally from Pittsburgh! AH HA!