Mr. Wilson
07-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Here is an interesting story, a bright spot in the dismal US education system:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/07/23/character.school.ap/index.html

aceindahole2K5
07-25-2004, 09:40 PM
i'll bite

Currently in the "dismal educational system" as a high school senior
I'm gonna say that the system is dismal due to the administration more than the teaching. Many of my teachers are some of the best, most caring and most passionate people I have ever been around. The fact that they are also some of the poorest paid people in the workforce is a crime. They are a major influence on young people and put their hearts into teaching.

As for the tennis part, since picking up tennis at a competitive tournament level in my life, i have found a major improvement in myself. Tennis has taught me how to deal with the pressure put on me by other people and myself. I am more confident in myself and with greater belief and trust in my abilities. So i'll buy what the article is saying, however i am not sure that public education is quite as hopeless as some may believe

Phil
07-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I hear this all the time-that the US education system is "dismal". If that is the case, why does the country CONSTANTLY lead in number of patents registered-i.e. scientific and engineering discoveries. Why do we turn out the best engineers, doctors, researchers, etc.? Who invented the cure for polio? Who TEACHES all the foreigners who attend US colleges-because they're so much more open and advnaced than the ones in those foreigners' own countries? Who put a man on the moon, etc., etc. How "dismal" can it be if the US is still, after all these years, the world leader in technology development? Granted other countries are closing the gap, but that GAP is what has SPURRED the rest of the world to get off their butts and match up with the USA. I'm just wondering if there's something more at work here than test score rankings, in which the US, sometimes, does do poorly against other nations.

Anyway, the article had this passage, which, although I understand the reasoning behind it, makes me a little uneasy:

"There, they stand at attention, say the Pledge of Allegiance and sing the national anthem under the watch of soldiers from nearby Fort Eustis, who also inspect the kids to make sure they're wearing their proper uniforms.

A few children pass around a microphone and take turns leading the group in shouting slogans such as "I am someone special" and "Believe in yourself.""

Slogans? Is this Oprah or Phil Donohue, or is it a school? Having to PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE to your own country and sing the Star Spangled Banner? Uniform inspections by military personnel? Is this a school, or a jingoistic indoctrination camp? There are more productive and better ways to instill discipline in children than to create a "military" atmosphere.

Coda
07-25-2004, 11:39 PM
[quote="Phil"]I hear this all the time-that the US education system is "dismal". If that is the case, why does the country CONSTANTLY lead in number of patents registered-i.e. scientific and engineering discoveries. Why do we turn out the best engineers, doctors, researchers, etc.? Who invented the cure for polio? Who TEACHES all the foreigners who attend US colleges-because they're so much more open and advnaced than the ones in those foreigners' own countries? Who put a man on the moon, etc., etc. How "dismal" can it be if the US is still, after all these years, the world leader in technology development? Granted other countries are closing the gap, but that GAP is what has SPURRED the rest of the world to get off their butts and match up with the USA. I'm just wondering if there's something more at work here than test score rankings, in which the US, sometimes, does do poorly against other nations.

wow, I finally agree

speedofpain88
07-26-2004, 01:02 AM
Well said Phil.

Pahansuopa
07-26-2004, 02:16 AM
I agree with you Phil that U.S. must be doing something right with their education system and i don't have much of first hand knowledge about U.S. school-system, but what i've heard from my friends who have been in the U.S. as an exchange student in different high schools, they all tell me the same thing - exams are unbelievably easy and still many of the students don't have a clue what to answer them. I think U.S. system is great in giving opportunities to the gifted (or loaded) and hence making most of the high end student material, but on average there must be something wrong. When we are counting patents and other achievements we should also IMHO take into consideration activity per capita what in my opinion would describe better the activity of country under the microscope, but it might be that U.S. succeeds in those stats also.

"

Illiterate Digest Index

1. Miami FL: 63%
2. East LA CA: 57%
3. East St. Louis IL: 56%
4. Compton CA: 55%
5. Newark NJ: 52%
6. Brownsville TX: 50%
7. Union City NJ: 50%
8. San Fernando CA: 49%
9. Camden NJ: 49%
10. Detroit MI: 47%
11. Laredo TX: 47%
12. East Orange NJ: 46%
13. Gary IN: 46%
14. East Palo Alto CA: 45%
15. Orange NJ: 45%
16. Passaic City NJ: 45%
17. Paterson NJ: 45%
18. Augusta GA: 43%
19. Elizabeth NJ: 42%
20. Atlantic City NJ: 42%
21. Miami Beach FL: 41%
22. Hartford CT: 41%
23. East Chicago IN: 41%
24. South Miami Heights FL: 40%

Source: The National Institute for Literacy
The NALS found a total of 21-23 percent - or 40-44 million - of the 191 million American adults (defined as age 16 or older) at Level 1, the lowest literacy level. Although many Level 1 adults could perform many tasks involving simple texts and documents, all adults scoring at Level 1

"

Of course immigration is a factor here...

Camilio Pascual
07-26-2004, 10:53 AM
I pretty much agree with what Phil said. I do not believe sports and boot camp techniques instill discipline any more than many other activities do. I have known many ex-Marines (including my Dad and a long time tennis hitting partner) and am no longer surprised that, as a group, they are somewhat immature compared to most other adults their ages. The education system in this country is very good. Where we fall down is in the home, imo. Education is not respected and promoted in the home to the degree it should be. I did volunteer literacy work years ago and I was appalled at the negative feedback handed out to the children who were succeeding by their older siblings, cousins, and "friends."