PDA

View Full Version : What's the ABSOLUTE best string....

JB
03-05-2004, 11:10 PM
for an all court player....assume that cost is not a factor. How about for a baseline player?

Rabbit
03-06-2004, 05:36 AM
The absolute best string for any type of play depends on the player, not the style of play.

Gaines Hillix
03-06-2004, 05:42 AM
Jb, there is no single string or string type that is best for every player. A professional player would have a different answer than a recreational level player. Natural gut is generally felt to be one of the best for touch, feel and power, but can be lacking in control for big hitters. That's one reason many of the pros have moved to the Luxilon strings. Todays players are so strong and the racquets so powerful that they couldn't control their shots well enough using nat gut.

JB
03-06-2004, 07:06 AM
Gaines -
Thanks for the helpful information. I've seen post on Luxilon and think I will try it out.

Eug
03-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Yah, I second Gaines, the only problem I have with Luxilon is stringing it! Its a very big pain to weave the crosses. Also I would suggest Laserfibre Prostock.

hofertennis
03-06-2004, 10:42 PM
I wasn't a big fan of Luxlion because of the price. Now, Ashaway makes "Monogut". Seems to play like Big Banger at 1/4 the cost! Although Ashaway is all USA, Monogut is manufactured in Germany for Ashaway.
My next best string, Dunlop Max Comfort 17.

Gaines Hillix
03-07-2004, 05:15 AM
jb, there are a few different ways you can use the Lux strings. My personal favorite is ALU Power 16L. It plays and feels nice to me in a full job, but if you want to soften it a bit and help with the cost, you can use a solid core syn gut in the crosses. Even Leona 66 would work well in the crosses. That way you get two racquets done out of one set of the Lux string.

30 - 15 is my ad
03-07-2004, 11:05 PM
BigBanger Alu 16L is the best synthetic string I have ever seen, stringing it is not really bad at all (better from a reel than a coil).
Hybrids work fine, but I don't like a super soft string mixed in with the Lux...