PDA

View Full Version : Slice Serve

Big Fed
08-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Do you guys switch up your grip on your slice serve to something close to eastern bh grip cause im tryin to learn slice serve.

fx101
08-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Usually the continental is the best grip for a slice serve. An eastern Backhand grip could technically be used, and some people here probably use it for a slice, but is generally suited for topspin/kick/american twist serves. Make sure that your toss is a little further right than that of a flat serve.

kevhen
08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, I use the eastern bh for my slice serve and it's the serve I use most. You could use continental but maybe not get quite as much sidespin on the ball as eastern bh. Good luck, have fun, and enjoy working on your new slice serve.

patrick922
08-25-2006, 12:24 PM
yeah i agree, the continental is the best grip for the slice serve... i think the rule is eastern is flat, continetal is slice, and eastern backhand for the kick serve;)

lolsmash
08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
yeah i agree, the continental is the best grip for the slice serve... i think the rule is eastern is flat, continetal is slice, and eastern backhand for the kick serve;)
eastern is not for flat, its for people without proper technique :)

Just use whatever grip you feel is better for you. I personally change the grip depending on if i want to do a slice serve with a bit more drive or if i want a biting slice serve. I use continental to do a driving slice and an eastern backhand for biting slice.

In D Zone
08-25-2006, 02:54 PM
eastern is not for flat, its for people without proper technique :)

Just use whatever grip you feel is better for you. I personally change the grip depending on if i want to do a slice serve with a bit more drive or if i want a biting slice serve. I use continental to do a driving slice and an eastern backhand for biting slice.

Eastern can be use for flat and underspin serves. To say its used for people w/o proper technique taking it too far. Is there a white paper on how to hit a flat serve? This is the first I have heard of it.

Supernatural_Serve
08-25-2006, 02:59 PM
I personally change the grip depending on if i want to do a slice serve with a bit more drive or if i want a biting slice serve. I use continental to do a driving slice and an eastern backhand for biting slice.That's a good tennis serving thought and well put.

For me: "and an almost eastern backhand" is what I do too.

tempura_MAKI
08-25-2006, 03:09 PM
continental has more slice for me but the Eastern backhand has more kick... you decide. variate.

lolsmash
08-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Eastern can be use for flat and underspin serves. To say its used for people w/o proper technique taking it too far. Is there a white paper on how to hit a flat serve? This is the first I have heard of it.

It can be used to hit flat and underspin so you are right in saying i took it too far in saying people with improper technique, but generally, it is used by people with improper serve techniques. But, if you want to say there is "proper" way to hit a flat serve, then there is no proper way to hit any serve regarding grips. However, the more commonly used and most effective way to serve is with continental - eastern backhand, not eastern. Some people though, like Boris Becker did go pretty far with an eastern forehand grip on the serve, but otherwise, I'd recommend using a continental grip or eastern backhand.

LuckyR
08-25-2006, 05:44 PM
The Eastern BH grip helps with counterclockwise spin (for a right hander) whether twist or slice it doesn't matter. However there are times where you want to hit a slice or twist serve but you want more pace than spin, so using a Continental is perfectly fine.

Rickson
08-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Eastern fh grip or bh grip? If you mean eastern fh for a flat, I disagree and if you mean eastern bh for a flat, I disagree even more. Continental for flat, eastern or western bh grip for a slice serve, and an eastern bh grip for a kick serve.

Rickson
08-25-2006, 06:29 PM
The Eastern BH grip helps with counterclockwise spin (for a right hander) whether twist or slice it doesn't matter. However there are times where you want to hit a slice or twist serve but you want more pace than spin, so using a Continental is perfectly fine.
Counterclockwise spin for a right hander? You must be a contortionist!

fx101
08-25-2006, 07:05 PM

Everheard of a reverse american-twist? Lol, I hope not, although I saw someone do this once by hitting it with the opposite. side of their racquet.

In D Zone
08-25-2006, 08:42 PM
One of the serve I use actually is a Reserved Twist serve. I use the eastern forehand grip - and I can hit with accuracy and pace! Not I am not a contourtionist >> this serve does exist!

Continental - for flat serve, slice and underhand spin serves (resurrected by Micheal Chang).
Eastern FH is also use for Flat, Underspin and Reversed Twist serves.
Eastern BH for Topspin, American Kick and Slice serves

In D Zone
08-25-2006, 08:55 PM
It can be used to hit flat and underspin so you are right in saying i took it too far in saying people with improper technique, but generally, it is used by people with improper serve techniques. But, if you want to say there is "proper" way to hit a flat serve, then there is no proper way to hit any serve regarding grips. However, the more commonly used and most effective way to serve is with continental - eastern backhand, not eastern. Some people though, like Boris Becker did go pretty far with an eastern forehand grip on the serve, but otherwise, I'd recommend using a continental grip or eastern backhand.

Boris did use the eastern fh because he uses the Underspin serve which looks like a flat serve.
I still say it depends on preference. I found eastern fh to be more consistent, control and has more pace IMO.

lolsmash
08-26-2006, 02:49 AM
reversed twist serve = slice serve, no?

Rickson
08-26-2006, 07:06 AM
reversed twist serve = slice serve, no?
No. A slice serve for a righty spins left to right. A twist serve spins low to high and left to right so if you reversed that, you'd be getting an unorthodox serve. I actually hit this kind of trick serve on the ad side by using a semi western forehand grip which sent the spin in reverse. It had a weird effect and threw the receiver off quite a bit. I should try that trick serve again.

LuckyR
08-27-2006, 11:16 AM

"Counterclockwise" while looking down or "left to right" when describing the racquethead motion... whatever, it's all a word game...

GuyClinch
08-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Reverse twist...

Guy on tennisone demonstrates this serve...

he explains the difference between the twist or kick serve and the reverse twist. Basically on the kick your trying to hit the inside edge of the ball on your left side - you going up that side essentially. And on the slice of course your hitting the opposite side.

But the reverse twist is a trick serve. Normally when you pronate you turn your arm kind of up and to the right so you could check your watch. But on the reverse twist serve you just kind of twist your arm such that you turn your wrist down and to the left. So it's totally different - and would send those "pronation is natural" people into a tizzy.

It's actually a fun serve to hit - I think and it curves kind of like a lefty slice. You actually turn your racquet to a western grip to hit it. It's really weird and I think it's effective. But for now I am concentrating on hitting better kick and slice serves.

Pete

Janne
08-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Does anyone have a video of a pro using a underhand serve? I´ve been trying to find one but with no luck. :/