PDA

View Full Version : Getting better...

WayneCM
08-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Alright... I'm stuck i'm at a snobby club where they openly ridicule me when i play... I am a novice player with a solid forehand and steadily improving backhand, my serve is poor, but for my level my returns are good...

I've tried getting private lessons, but with work it's difficult... I should stress that i live in ireland and there are not 2 many coaches and it's quite expensive... I have no playing partner and am restricted 2 playing doubles only(Which i don't particularly like but have little choice)...

All the guys that play on a sunday at the "Social tennis" are far superior players... What excercises/tricks/strategy can i use to keep myself from looking and feeling foolish....???

FH2FH
08-25-2006, 11:45 AM
You can probably improve through match experience, but you really need to be practicing outside of matchplay. Work on what you feel are your biggest weaknesses first. Maybe that's your backhand or serve?

One way to gain some respect in doubles is to dominate the net. If you already have a good partner, work on your volleys and learn to anticipate where the ball will go and so you'll be there in time to have options - angles, deep, short, etc. Doubles is won and lost at the net. Only do what's necessary though; you're not mcenroe or the bryan brothers, so just put the ball where it puts pressure on your opponents.

Since you're playing doubles, that should take some pressure off you, so just relax and have fun. I've found this forum has lots of tips if you'll look for them. You have to know where you're weak and learn to improve. Also, find some people to practice with. The more you can play, the faster you'll improve and more comfortable you'll feel with a variety of shots and partners/opponents. I would look for somewhere else to play or someone else to play with if the negative comments become excessive.

The Prodigy
08-25-2006, 11:47 AM
If there aren't any coaches around, try asking the "far superior players" for some tips in improving. It doesn't matter if they make fun of you or not. If they do, ask them what you SHOULD do instead of what mistake you just did. Even if they're being mean, just ask them calmly. If they answer, then hurray!!! you learned something! If they don't, they should stop picking on you. ( or at least I hope they stop )

haha, wasn't quite clear what I said myself.

edit: fh2fh is right, try finding other clubs around your area.

kevhen
08-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Work on your serve since you can do that on your spare time without being ridiculed and it will gain your more respect when you play doubles.

FH2FH
08-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Work on your serve since you can do that on your spare time without being ridiculed and it will gain your more respect when you play doubles.

Yep. Develop a RELIABLE serve, ie your second serve, before you work on a "BIG" first serve which will not always go in. You're only as good as your second serve, unless your first serve has a very high percentage, 80-90%.

You might be able to find a building or something to hit groundstrokes/volleys against if there are no practice walls or clubs nearby.