PDA

View Full Version : Dividing the Ball into Sections (mentally) when hitting direction

benperet
08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
I'll explain. My uncle mentioned his pro telling him that when he wants to hit a ball say cross ct on his forehand to break the ball into three sections and imagine he's making contact with the outside third of the ball. Supposedly the stance stays quite the same as if one were to hit a ball back to the middle but it will encourage a more disguised strike and the ball should be more naturally go in the direction desired. This idea works with any shot really (ex left third for an inside out forehand cc). I kind of thought of it like lining up a shot in pool where you think of the point where you'd hit the ball so that it'll go in the pocket then strike the queu ball to that point.

Is this just something to help with timing? Have other heard this bit of advice?

skuludo
08-25-2006, 03:38 PM
I've never heard that advice before; however, it is similar to lineing your racket up and hitting a down the line shot but goes cross court.
No matter how you position your feet the most important thing in hitting a ball to the direction you desire is by hitting have the racket push the ball in the direction you want.

This idea is similar to putting a golf ball. The key is the stroke has to move in the direction your hitting to.

In your pool analogy if you gave it some thought you will defintly be hitting the outer portion of the pool ball. It is just a matter of perception.
3rd person view = hitting the right portion of a pool ball to go left.
1st person view = hitting the center of the pool ball that pushes the pool ball to go left.
(Note: This is not hitting a pool ball with side spin. You are hitting through the pool ball to achieve maximum energy transfer from stick to the ball.)