PDA

View Full Version : do people use closed stance or semi western forehand?

TennisAce101
08-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Answer Plz^^:D

Steven87
08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
The question makes no sense

nalbandian_fan
08-25-2006, 10:11 PM
a guy today asked me the same question, i dont get what makes you assume that a semi-western forehand must be hit with an open stance. I guess it would be better and more powerful with an open stance, but as long as you arent 100% square, than you should be able to hit a forehand in any stance with a semi-western grip.

TennisAce101
08-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Ops... its acutally means do people used closed stance FOR semi western forehand... because i only see people use open stance for the semi western grip

Fumoffu
08-25-2006, 10:25 PM
You SHOULD be closing your stance for most of your shots to begin with, regardless.. Then open stance is generally more for when you're rushed and the sort. Makes for some really lazy footwork in some people too (is reminded of people who stand in open stance and swing).

Steven87
08-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Closed stance is a better and safer shot....unless you're better with the open like Nadal.

The Prodigy
08-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I use both closed and open, but I feel that a closed stance is more smooth.

Under Dog
08-25-2006, 10:47 PM
I prefer an Open Stance as it better prepares me for recovery into the next point

Freedom
08-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Go with the flow. I hit SW, but I can hit it either open or closed. If the situation calls for open stance, do it. Same for closed.

paulfreda
08-26-2006, 01:54 AM
The reason a SWFH grip is more often hit from an open stance is that, generally speaking, the more closed face of the extreme grips (SW, W and Hawaiian) moves the ideal contact point higher and farther in front to allow for squaring up the face. [Individual technique can vary this but the generality is a good starting point.]

With the hitting shoulder being farther away on the FH, the body blocks a smooth swing from a closed stance, thus you see open stances more often.

Tim Tennis
08-26-2006, 02:10 AM
I think you can hit it with either a closed or open stance. When I watch the pros sometimes it looks like the stroke starts out with a fairly closed stance but they pivot so strongly off the outside foot that by the time they make contact their shoulders and hips have the orientation/position of an open stance. You got to love the SW.

nickybol
08-26-2006, 02:45 AM
A semi-western stance is often hit more comfortable in a stance that is a little more open than a square stance that you use for a eastern forehand. A closed stance is bad for any forehand.

Rickson
08-26-2006, 05:50 AM
Semi closed or semi open, whichever way you want to put it. I've never seen a true sw fh done with a true closed stance except when I hit inside out forehands, but I don't count those because of the angle the ball is sent toward. To answer your question, no, you don't generally use a closed stance with a semi western forehand.

nickybol
08-26-2006, 05:56 AM
People, make sure you know the difference between square and closed stance!

This is square:
LF
RF

This is closed:
.......LF
RF

Janne
08-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Wait, wait.

___ = closed stance

/ = semi closed/open stance

| = open stance

Are these correct if the net would be on the right side of this post?

Supernatural_Serve
08-26-2006, 07:54 AM
this thread is full of a lot of disinformation as well as a lack of clarity.

emcee
08-26-2006, 10:29 AM
- would be a square stance.

I hit open stance on all my forehands except for inside-out. It helps you get massive trunk rotation.

Bungalo Bill
08-26-2006, 11:00 AM

The dominant stance for the forehand is an open stance. You can load over the back foot and send your energy into the ball. The closed stance, nuetral stance, semi-open stance, etc... are also stances you should develop because at times you will hit using them. It was once said that a closed stance is the best because it sends your weight into the ball, this can be challenged due to the popularity and the results of the open stance in today's fast paced game.

For the forehand side, I would develop the open stance as your dominant stance. You can extend this into the service return.

slice bh compliment
08-26-2006, 11:08 AM
I use all three grips (except western) and I use all four different stances.
I would love to be quick enough to get to every ball and handle it the same way every time, but it does not work that way when you play against someone who can move you around.

nalbandian_fan
08-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Wait, wait.

___ = closed stance

/ = semi closed/open stance

| = open stance

Are these correct if the net would be on the right side of this post?

ditto. I think you can hit a semi-western forehand in any stance except 100% closed. as long as your right foot is your outside foot, even by the slightest bit, you should still be able to hit a semi-western forehand. so ya either / or | should be find, i think the completely closed stance would be hard to use for any forehand, not just a semi-western.

emcee
08-26-2006, 11:28 AM
\ is a closed stance.

On second thought it is good to practice all the stances but generally people will hit forehands w/ open stances except approachs and inside-outs.

The more western a grip, the more open the stance it seems. Is this out of necessity or because western hitters are more likely to be "new school" and eastern hitters are more likely to be old school?

paulfreda
08-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I use all three grips (except western) and I use all four different stances.
I would love to be quick enough to get to every ball and handle it the same way every time, but it does not work that way when you play against someone who can move you around.

I like this idea very much.
If one wants to be a top player at any level, it helps to be able to hit well from a variety of stances, ball heights and trajectories as well as have good defense.

And learning to play well with different grips will add the ability to EASILY place the ball where you want; a huge advantage and lost art in the game these days.

Supernatural_Serve
08-26-2006, 04:26 PM
I use all three grips (except western) and I use all four different stances.So, do I, and none of the grips are linked to the "stance"

I hit with a SW grip when I play an opponent who hits with lots of top spin, otherwise I primarily use an eastern FH grip and I am bound to hit a variety of closed and open stances in any match usually determined by whether I can effectively recover.

I hit almost all forehand approach shots or low short balls with a continental grip and of course all volleys are done with a continental grip and overheads although sometimes I use the easter FH grip on overheads also, but rare.

I use open stance primarily as a means to recover better but I prefer using a more closed stance in general, I start hitting more open stance as I get tired too.

The only odd combination is the forehand slice using a continental grip in an open stance. My opponent thinks I am going hit another cross court directional ball but I hit a forehand slice down the line instead and approach.

One thing I will say about the "modern" players who use SW grips and open stances almost exclusively. I know exactly where there balls are going before they hit them. They hide nothing, advertise everything, and offer little deception which is always good for an extra step or two of anticipation.

Urza187
08-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I have an open stance for my FH, but if i'm on the run, i'm more apt to use a closed and/or square stance. Is this wrong to do?

Tennis_Monk
08-27-2006, 07:48 PM
The dominant stance for the forehand is an open stance. You can load over the back foot and send your energy into the ball. The closed stance, nuetral stance, semi-open stance, etc... are also stances your should develop because at times you will hit using them. It was once said that a closed stance is the best because it sends your weight into the ball, this can be challenged due to the popularity and the results of the open stance in today's fast paced game.

For the forehand side, I would develop the open stance as your dominant stance. you can extend this into the service return.

Accurate Summation. I would only add that Open stance is more easier to setup and hit and can be easily picked up by new comers. A closed stance requires slightly skill but equally rewarding.

I may be off but i am of the opinion that CLosed stance is more Old school than Open stance.