PDA

View Full Version : timing

looseswing
08-26-2006, 06:14 AM
I have horrible timing and I often hit shots late. I find that when I hit the ball late they fly on me. Hitting them early is not really a problem. I feel that this is one of the major problems that is stopping me from getting to the next level. I have tried the hit-bounce-hit strategy and find that it does not help as much. Do you guys have any other tips to help me improve my timing?

nickybol
08-26-2006, 06:16 AM
Go to an optometrist. Serious. Maybe you have one eye more dominant than the other. If that is the case, the most simple way to solve it is get some glasses or contacts. Check your eyes before make technique changes or something. Changing your technique may cost years, getting some contacts will get the job done in a week.

35ft6
08-26-2006, 07:31 AM
The best thing to do is have somebody feed you balls, or hit against the wall, tons and tons of repetition. More repetition than the average player can get by hitting with somebody.

One thing to try is yell out "BOUNCE" when the ball bounces on the court then "HIT" at the moment your racket makes contact with the ball. Bounce hit, bounce hit, bounce hit. Even say it at a lower volume when the ball is on your opponent's side, bounce when it bounces on his side, hit when he hits the ball.

Try it.

looseswing
08-27-2006, 08:14 AM
To nicky, I do have contacts, with uneven prescriptions and I use them so I don't think that that will help. To 35ft6, I have tried the bounce hit method and I find that it distracts me when I play for some reason. Any other methods I could use? I am trying to hit as much as possible to improve this.