PDA

View Full Version : Your tennis study program?

Amirsan
08-26-2006, 08:15 AM
What is your tennis study program? What are ALL the different things that you do that improve the way you play tennis? I mean everything - books, magazines, old videos, new games, clinics, how much do you play oncourt, private lessons, how often do you play competitively, etc. Share how you make yourself the best you can be.

Bungalo Bill
08-26-2006, 08:45 AM
What is your tennis study program? What are ALL the different things that you do that improve the way you play tennis? I mean everything - books, magazines, old videos, new games, clinics, how much do you play oncourt, private lessons, how often do you play competitively, etc. Share how you make yourself the best you can be.

I have read nearly all of Bradens books and videos, have reviewed all of Nick's videos, have reviewed and read all of EASITENNIS, have read Brad Gilbert's book, Scott Williams, Donald Chu, Pressure Tennis, John Yandell's stuff - in a nutshell pretty much everything.

I am currently reading David Smith's (a.k.a TennisMastery) book.

Amirsan
08-26-2006, 08:56 AM
So that's how you improve? By reading all yuo can and watching the video instructionals?

nickybol
08-26-2006, 09:01 AM
books:
quite a lot, almost a whole bookcase full of books I had to read back during my years I got my certification. I also have whole collection of new books (mostly English books) and old German books (from back in the ages of communism, when sports knew its peak in East-Germany)

magazines: (I`ll include the internet)
the internet is a huge source of information. The websites I try to read are:
-this message board
-itf coaching
-some dutch websites
paper magazines:
- a dutch tennis coaching magazine
- a general dutch tennis magazine
- a dutch magazine about coaching in general

I must admit I don`t have much videos. I am also not a member of any website like tennisplayer or tennisone. I`m ashamed of that fact. I really need to subscribe to one of those. But there is another coach I regularly meets who has a huge database of footage on his laptop I regularly watch. We also watch a lot of footage during the coach meetings we have with other coaches.

I don`t receive coaching. I`m too busy teaching and coaching other people. That is also the reason why I hardly play competitive.

Bungalo Bill
08-26-2006, 09:04 AM
So that's how you improve? By reading all yuo can and watching the video instructionals?

Amirsan, I improve by developing a systematic approach to tennis. What I mean is, I learn from winning and losing a match. I evaluate what I didn't do so well and develop my practice sessions around improving those weaknesses that were uncovered. My practices have purpose. I am probably a bit more systematic than others.

I improve by reading and watching tennis mentally so that I can have an avenue to develop physically and technically. I am a student of the game through and through.

Currently, I am 47 years old, so my time in the sun has faded. But I still want to improve (even though it is not my profession any longer) in knowledge by utilizing my experience, learnings, and understanding in human learning and training to help players that still want to take a shot at their tennis goals and achieve them.

I consider myself more of a coach then a player now and am simply passing on what I know. It may not be much but if I can help one player understand how to hit a ball better - that makes my day.

Trinity TC
08-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Share how you make yourself the best you can be.
I make sure I spend a lot of time not thinking about the game. Time away from the game is important, too. :cool:

garfonkee
08-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I make sure I spend a lot of time not thinking about the game. Time away from the game is important, too. :cool:
Hmm, I've been obsessing over my serve the past few days, doing slow motions at home without a racket like a lunatic, watching slow-mo videos, practicing serves 2 hours a day, trying different stuff.. needless to say it's the only shot I can do almost decently now ;)

in other words, my backhand and forehand needs a lot of workout to catch up to my serve haha

back on topic, this message board, google, a free tennis court near your house, free time (when the tennis courts are empty of course) and willingness to get better is probably all you need.. and of course playing people and joining clubs, and I'm probably missing something still.