PDA

View Full Version : how do pros hit so well?

andyroddick's mojo
08-26-2006, 05:51 PM
can someone just elighten me a bit. whenever I watch pros, I watch them bang balls back and forth, but they always stay in the court. now, whenever I go out on the court and try to bang a ball or two, they usually fly. What about just trying to hit harder overall on your groundstrokes? pros can hit extremely hard, but whenever most other players do, it usually goes out with no accuracy whatsoever. so whats the secret to their consistently powerful groundstrokes? I think its their topspin. can anyone break down how pros hit with such spin.

The Prodigy
08-26-2006, 06:01 PM
first of all... the pros are probably a lot buffer than you. secondly, if you were to use their heavy racquets, you wouldn't be able to last half a set.

Kaptain Karl
08-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Wow! What a huge question.

What level player are you? What's your preferred style of play? What are your goals?

For one thing, the Pros have drilled and hit tens of thousands more than the average Rec / Club player. All that good practice contributes to their ability to do the "magic" they can do with the ball.

You gotta start somewhere. Get out there and work on drills with your buddies. (I advise a search on "Game based drills." Mahboob Khan and a number of other good Instructors and Coaches have posted some super drills on those threads.)

Lots of people will tell you the kind of racket the Pros have has a lot to do with what you've observed. I say, "Phooey!" I'd guess the contribution of the racket is somewhere down around 5%. (That 5% could be critical in very competitive tennis, but IMO it's not that big a deal for the average Club player.)

- KK

maverick1
08-26-2006, 06:11 PM
so whats the secret to their consistently powerful groundstrokes?

They are PROs!! Why would you expect to be anything like them?
Isn't it obvious? They have more talent, athletic ability, training and mental focus than most of us.

Do you expect to play a guitar like Jimmy Hendrix or discover a grand unified theory of the universe?

vinky
08-26-2006, 06:15 PM
I don't think the racquets they use are so extremely heavy that it would tire people out.

But as for why pros hit so well, it's because they're better than us at everything (athletic ability, technique, mental, etc) :)

The Prodigy
08-26-2006, 06:31 PM
kaptain karl has a point though, pros hit over tens of thousands of balls everyday to get better. well, their racquets are probably too heavy for andyroddick'smojo. they aren't SUPER heavy, but their definitely heavier than a lot of other racquets out there. heavy racquet = more power. but before they hit that hard, they practice their skills to hit the ball well. so next time, before you go out and bang a few balls over the fence, work on your strokes.

patrick922
08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
of course they are good they are pros. thats all they do and that is what they get paid for to hit balls

TrueAce
08-26-2006, 07:04 PM
they're highly talented....even if most people drilled like the pros they still wouldn't make it...it's a combination of ability and lots of hard work.....

andyroddick's mojo
08-26-2006, 07:09 PM
obviously I know that they are pros and that's why they're so good, but what makes their pro shots, "pro shots"? how do they hit with such power but keep it in the court so well. I'm about a 3.5-4.0 player constantly practicing trying to get better inch by inch. i use a 12 oz. n six one 95 racket, so i know the rackets of most pros are heavier then this, but i never even considered the racket. if the racket was the answer why doesn't all of us hit the gym and get buff, then use a 13 oz racket, then we'd all be hitting like pros.

I honestly think its the amount of topspin they hit. I'm not sure what the stats are, but i'd bet they hit twice as much spin as a 4.0, literally. how do they generate this spin? is it just racket head speed?