PDA

View Full Version : Storage Location - Tennis Tutor Ball Machine

AdvocateTDV
08-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to store a ball machine in a shed outside. It would be safe from the rain, for certain. The manual says to store it in a dry place, but it also says to avoid storing it in a trunk since the temperature can kill the electronics. Really, the question I'm asking is: Do any of YOU store your ball machine in an environment like an on-court outside shed? =)

Ace
08-27-2006, 12:49 PM
I would worry about small animals (rats, chipmunks, and such) getting in and chewing on the wires. Or making a nest inside of it or something. Or pooping in it. haha.

AdvocateTDV
08-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Ugh...yeah that would suck. God I hope you're joking.

varuscelli
08-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Ugh...yeah that would suck. God I hope you're joking.

No, he's not. If I kept one in my garage here, that's exactly what would happen (at least, where I live).

But what the heck? If the machine ejects and occasional rat at you, it'll keep you on your toes (tennis-wise). Just half-volley it off court and forget about it. ;)

SpinItIn
08-27-2006, 03:31 PM
I've had a TT+ for about a month now & just started storing it in the garage this week. I can carry it easy enough, but negotiating the turns into the basement without dinging up the drywall along the way is a real pain.

I think rodents are a legitimate concern, though I'm hoping a cover will minimize the chance of them getting in. Since there's nothing that smells like food inside & it's not a warm place to sleep (that's the reason they like to get into cars parked outside & sometimes chew on the wiring etc) I'm going to give it a try.

I'm actually more concerned about the possibility of damage due to dampness. I plan to keep it covered and watch closely for signs of corrosion on the edges of the stamped components, motor shafts, electrical connectors, etc. Any sign of that and it's back inside she goes. Maybe on my wife's side of the bed . . .

JerodT
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I've had a TT+ for about a month now & just started storing it in the garage this week. I can carry it easy enough, but negotiating the turns into the basement without dinging up the drywall along the way is a real pain.

I think rodents are a legitimate concern, though I'm hoping a cover will minimize the chance of them getting in. Since there's nothing that smells like food inside & it's not a warm place to sleep (that's the reason they like to get into cars parked outside & sometimes chew on the wiring etc) I'm going to give it a try.

I'm actually more concerned about the possibility of damage due to dampness. I plan to keep it covered and watch closely for signs of corrosion on the edges of the stamped components, motor shafts, electrical connectors, etc. Any sign of that and it's back inside she goes. Maybe on my wife's side of the bed . . .

Cover it and you can pass it off to your other haf as a nightstand :p

varuscelli
08-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Actually, depending on the size of the machine, a large plastic tub/storage container with a lid on it (Rubbermaid style, etc.) would probably work very well for a tennis ball machine for storage in a garage or shed. I'd check a place that carries LARGE versions of those storage containers like a hardware store (Home Depot or Lowe’s) or someplace like Wal-Mart.

AdvocateTDV
08-27-2006, 06:42 PM
I love this board...one always gets thought-provoking responses to his/her questions...thanks!

varuscelli
08-27-2006, 07:13 PM
I love this board...one always gets thought-provoking responses to his/her questions...thanks!

Do you mean the part about rats being shot out of the ball machine or the plastic container idea?

Personally, I like the plastic container idea but would be unable to avert my eyes if someone yelled, "Hey, there are rats flying out of that ball machine!"

:)

whoster69
03-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Great humor! I like the plastic container idea too!

volusiano
04-01-2007, 12:02 AM
I have a TT+ and I keep it in my office. However, my brother who was the original owner kept it in the garage in Arizona through the very hot summer and it was OK. He didn't even charge the battery for over 1+ year when he didn't use it, and I thought the battery might have succumbed to the heat but luckily it didn't. I'm taking no chance to even leave it in the garage now.

SteveI
04-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Hey, I was just wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to store a ball machine in a shed outside. It would be safe from the rain, for certain. The manual says to store it in a dry place, but it also says to avoid storing it in a trunk since the temperature can kill the electronics. Really, the question I'm asking is: Do any of YOU store your ball machine in an environment like an on-court outside shed? =)

Hi,

Mine goes in the tennis closet... I would not trust my machine to am outside shed for the many posted reasons. Also..for a portable..in most cases they tell you to charge the battery every month or so..when not using.

Regards,
Steve

whoster69
04-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Why would normal summer heat cause the battery problems?

volusiano
04-01-2007, 01:09 PM
They say extreme heat is worse than extreme cold on a battery. Heat speeds up the chemical reactions in the battery and accelerates the rate at which the acid inside the battery eats away at other battery components. Also for batteries that are not completely sealed, heat also accelerates the evaporation of the fluid inside.

whoster69
04-01-2007, 02:58 PM
They say extreme heat is worse than extreme cold on a battery. Heat speeds up the chemical reactions in the battery and accelerates the rate at which the acid inside the battery eats away at other battery components. Also for batteries that are not completely sealed, heat also accelerates the evaporation of the fluid inside.

I don't doubt it, but my car battery lasts about 5 years and it's in the garage. I know I'll never get that much out of a tennis machine so I wonder if it's really much of a concern...

volusiano
04-01-2007, 07:28 PM
I guess it depends on where you live. A garage in Arizona would be much hotter than a garage in California, for example. Before I move to AZ my car batteries lasted about 5 years, too. But in AZ, I notice they die sooner. I'd say around 3-4 years I'd have to replace them.

So it's really just a matter of choice. You may prolong the battery life a little more if you can bring the machine inside. But if you live in a cooler climate then it probably doesn't make that much difference. In my case it's a no brainer because I have no space left in my garage and it'd be in the way storing it in the garage as opposed to keeping it somewhere inside the house.